News from Watchforums.net - BDWF lives

Stickys, Announcements and TOS are here
koimaster
Founder

News from Watchforums.net - BDWF lives

Post by koimaster » March 19th 2019, 8:08am

From the watchforum.net admin team consisting of Ocean, Artman, JAS and of course the lover of all things Susan Boyle, Conjurer.

In case most of you are not already aware of this, the forum formally known
as BDWF (The Watch Forum) is now completely shut down.
While attempts were made to keep it going, and to import the vast knowledge
and database into this forum, it was to no avail.

We didn’t want to see BDWF go out that way, so the admin team has decided
to rename and re- brand this forum as the new
Best Damn Watch Forum.

Another reason for the change: The current name of this forum is too
similar to what BDWF became and we didn’t want confusion between the two.
We're hoping that more of the members will return here.

Over the next few weeks, look for changes to the forum, starting with the
name change and URL redirect from our current web address.

There will also be an upcoming auction to handle the costs, and maybe even
a karma offering or two!

It’s our hope that this forum, with more posts and contributions from the
membership, can become as active and vital as the original BDWF was in
years past. Any suggestions to improve the forum are most welcome.

Thanks for your time and we look forward to seeing you on the new Best Damn
Watch Forum.

The Admin Team

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Re: News from Watchforums.net - BDWF lives

Post by JAS1125 » March 19th 2019, 11:14am

To my knowledge, no policy room....there is a Community Forum, no religion or politics which was already established before I got there. I made a Suggestion Box forum and Blog/New Article ones with more to come as we get our bearings.

Foggy...more like how BDWF was before it become Content Driven. A more PG rated version of Lords I suppose, but we'll have to see how it plays out.

Personally, I'd like to see some different things done there versus here at Lords (such as a dedicated James Elsener forum) but we'll need to bounce it around. Not to take anything away from Lords, just something different
"Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance"

David Mamet
gerdson
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by gerdson » March 19th 2019, 11:19am

But... is "damn" strong enough? I know it may offend some, but are we not the mostest goddam fucking best forum? And are we being demoted from being lords to be "ordinary people again"? :mrgreen:
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » March 19th 2019, 11:24am

gerdson wrote:But... is "damn" strong enough? I know it may offend some, but are we not the mostest goddam fucking best forum? And are we being demoted from being lords to be "ordinary people again"? :mrgreen:

It is watchforums.net that is being renamed, not here.

1946-2006

JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Post by JAS1125 » March 19th 2019, 11:26am

gerdson wrote:But... is "damn" strong enough? I know it may offend some, but are we not the mostest goddam fucking best forum? And are we being demoted from being lords to be "ordinary people again"? :mrgreen:

Funny you should bring that up....I don't know if Foggy was still there at the time, but BDWF went from Best Damn to Best content Driven Watch Forum, hence the use of the initials.
Looking back on it, I wonder if that was Doxa's influence at the time.....the concept was that the forum needed to be more "family-friendly".

If I remember correctly, swearing was banned, other than in its most mildest forms. There may have even been a filter in place

David Mamet
gerdson
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » March 19th 2019, 11:43am

koimaster wrote:

It is watchforums.net that is being renamed, not here.

Ah, sorry. I got confused... will get another beer and think about it again.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by Mark1 » March 19th 2019, 7:06pm

JAS1125 wrote:To my knowledge, no policy room....there is a Community Forum, no religion or politics which was already established before I got there. I made a Suggestion Box forum and Blog/New Article ones with more to come as we get our bearings.

Foggy...more like how BDWF was before it become Content Driven. A more PG rated version of Lords I suppose, but we'll have to see how it plays out.

Personally, I'd like to see some different things done there versus here at Lords (such as a dedicated James Elsener forum) but we'll need to bounce it around. Not to take anything away from Lords, just something different

Good answer, it's the only thing wrong with this forum.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » March 19th 2019, 8:34pm

This sounds just great. Kudos to everyone involved.

I don't remember signing up for WatchForums, but I really would like to be part of the new BDWF. Great stuff.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » March 19th 2019, 9:30pm

JAS1125 wrote:Foggy...more like how BDWF was before it become Content Driven. A more PG rated version of Lords I suppose, but we'll have to see how it plays out.

Or at least R rated. Then I can say "fuck" a lot. I suppose I could back off of posting about wishing to having anal sexual congress with Susan Boyle; this might offend certain members.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
Mark1

Post by Mark1 » March 20th 2019, 1:11am

Please post when this thing is up and running and accepting new members and all. It's just crazy enough to work. I was a member of BDWF back in the day (even before Wartchgeeks) but kind of let it go when some dick named Mark (a former owner or mod or something) was acting like, well a dick. Ironic, I know.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Post by JAS1125 » March 20th 2019, 2:59am

Mark1 wrote:Please post when this thing is up and running and accepting new members and all. It's just crazy enough to work. I was a member of BDWF back in the day (even before Wartchgeeks) but kind of let it go when some dick named Mark (a former owner or mod or something) was acting like, well a dick. Ironic, I know.

Ah, I remember Mark very well.
The form is actually up and running right now.... we're going to be doing the transitions over the next few weeks.

David Mamet
foghorn

Post by foghorn » March 20th 2019, 4:48am

JAS1125 wrote:
Funny you should bring that up....I don't know if Foggy was still there at the time, but BDWF went from Best Damn to Best content Driven Watch Forum, hence the use of the initials.

Long gone by then. That shit would have been dead in the water if I had been there. "content Driven???" GTFOOH!

No swearing? GTFOOH too :3
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Post by JAS1125 » March 20th 2019, 5:08am

foghorn wrote:
JAS1125 wrote:

Long gone by then. That shit would have been dead in the water if I had been there. "content Driven???" GTFOOH!

No swearing? GTFOOH too :3

I believe that's when the slow downward spiral began, in my opinion. It was one of the reasons we brought back Best Damn when Mike took over, but by then it was too late

David Mamet
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » March 21st 2019, 8:28am

I wrote Mike earlier in the week to inform his as a courtesy that watchforums.net was being rebranded as Best damn watch forum. I received this response this morning.

Alain;

Thank you for being so passionate with our hobby. Yes - I've 'moved on' as the "Moveon" folks have so aptly
put it. Been a good run since 2004 when I got into the hobby. In all aspects of my life - and at my age - I've
reprioritized the most important choices of my remaining years. Being overseas for over 6 years now - I realize
how big the world is and how much of it I still want to experience. One can only delve so deeply into a hobby before
it gets to a dead end of diminishing returns. This is my time. Rather than being herded into taking sides or
qualifying personalities my life will take a much different direction.

The United States - which I served in uniform for 26+ years seems to be melting down into internecine squabbling-
most of it mindless and certainly partisan. More and more - it looks like I will not retire to the homeland - and if
so - a place far removed from the inane political quagmire our country has become.

BDWF shrunk to maybe 6-8 folks by the time the final days came about - and I felt it not worth saving. Rather than
let it continue on life support - I made a decision to let it die a more natural death.

To me - getting involved in a 'horo' culture war was not near a priority of further time and effort. As historically
"valuable" as the site might have been - going from an Invicta 'fanboy' site - wracked by defections to RENATO and every other
snake oil TV salesman pitched in front of the mouth breathers among us - it has come to this.

My wife - the mother of 3 children (1.Ph.D. Geotechnical Engineering, 2.MBA and 3.MEducation) and 2 grand daughters (BS UNH both)&
and 2 grandsons yet to make a mark on the world - has chronic health issues. My military contract expires next month and what
comes next, where it comes next and the 'why' I will then do is most important as it will set the course for the rest of my and my
families' lives.

Indeed - I wish everyone well who illuminated my discretionary time over the span of years - to include the rascals, the posers,
clowns, impersonators, mentally deficient, (comma optional) over achievers and all in between.

In the meanwhile-now -waiting outside my computer lab-I have 24 soldiers-mostly young men and ladies under 20 years old who have no idea
the magnitude of responsibility they've incurred by signing a military contract, the pressure it puts on parents, spouses and children.
They serve a mostly uncaring society, many themselves uncaring about either their own lives or the society they've been deigned to protect.
They are a mirror picture of the hardscrabble neighborhoods, barrios, ghettos and failed opportunities of our educational systems and family
structures. I owe them every opportunity to be more survivable in a world again gone increasingly mad.

Every soldier I reach, everyone whose light goes on is a personal victory. Back home-the political rhetoric rings hollow-the astounding
ignorance of our world repeated as fact by bleating cattle of a herd of media journalists frightens me beyond belief. My priorities going forward
have apparently been set. Sadly - continuing responsibility of a forum is not one of them.

To sum up - my best wishes to those who shared time with me - either on the forum, in person or both. I remain sometimes reachable by social
media - but it again is not the priority of my remaining life. My best wishes and God's grace to all I have associated with over the years.

Regards,

Mike Horn
Daegu Korea

After reading through this letter from Mike twice now I have to say that he has earned my contempt. Instead of worrying about himself when it came to forum, it would have been professional and more importantly, more considerate to the members regardless of how many remained to let them know what was in his mind. Instead he took the cowardly route, lying about what was really going on with the forum, avoiding the questions that would have been raised and answering them. He kept kicking the can down the road as they say and then like a chickenshit, walked away from BDWF and the members there who were more deserving of the forum then he was.

All of the stories collected there from 2004 until now are gone, death by a coward, a self centered little man with a much bigger idea of what his worth is than reality dictates. He reminds me of another chickenshit, falcon4311 who killed off Deskdiver forum and the horology guild because he and his "friend" got into a snit. Am I pissed? Well that should be obvious to all. Just because HE allowed the forum to dwindle in membership by his neglect and failure to keep up with it shows that he cared nothing for the members who made bdwf what it was. He obviously had no respect for them and he allowed DoxaDick to take the place over without a fight. Fuck Mike and DoxaDick both. I do not wish either of them well.

1946-2006

Return to “Announcements”