Server upgrades

Stickys, Announcements and TOS are here
koimaster (Online)
Administrator/Founder

Server upgrades

Post by koimaster » January 3rd 2018, 6:01pm

As most know we currently have a VPS (virtual private server) which is hosted on a old school server with standard drives and such. I check performance every week to see how the forums are doing. Despite having good bandwidth and a lot of memory we have maxed out or come close many times both in bandwidth and memory. Because of this I am moving the forum to what is called a MVPS-2. This is still a virtual server but hosted on what are called SSD drives which are 3-5 times fast then a regular hard drive. I am also increasing the memory and bandwidth as well as storage capacity.

I am working out the details with our provider and will let everyone know when the forum move will be. The site might be down for a few minutes as moving data is pretty simple in the virtual hosting world.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
biglove
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Server upgrades

Post by biglove » January 3rd 2018, 8:51pm

conjurer wrote:We should have a whole bunch of FS listings just before we move servers, so we can be just like Christopher Ward!!

Big smile!

Koi, you kick ass. Thank you for taking the time to keep WL fast, secure and safe. I know what SSDs have done for speed on our laptops. Hope they do the same for the site.
"You can't fix stupid but you can sedate the hell out of it."-Youseff Achmed, MD

https://imgur.com/h3UXafB
koimaster (Online)
Administrator/Founder

Post by koimaster » January 3rd 2018, 10:08pm

biglove wrote:
conjurer wrote:We should have a whole bunch of FS listings just before we move servers, so we can be just like Christopher Ward!!

I know what SSDs have done for speed on our laptops. Hope they do the same for the site.

I put ssd drives in the servers i design and we sell to our clients. All of my own systems have i7 processors and ssd drives. Doing this has increased costs but the well worth it.

1946-2006

Mortuus Fakeuus

Post by Mortuus Fakeuus » January 3rd 2018, 10:34pm

Alain, will this set the site back financially? (My oblique way of saying, "should we plan on giving an extra ten- or twenty-spot to the site's PayPal coffers?") Please let us know if this is the case...
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » January 3rd 2018, 11:04pm

Racer-X wrote:^^ and maybe increase the percentage of upcoming auction funds to forum upkeep.

Naturally, I stand ready to do this. I have enough watches left over for at least three more auctions. I just need the OK from Alain.
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
koimaster (Online)
Administrator/Founder

Post by koimaster » January 4th 2018, 12:21pm

conjurer wrote:
Racer-X wrote:^^ and maybe increase the percentage of upcoming auction funds to forum upkeep.

Naturally, I stand ready to do this. I have enough watches left over for at least three more auctions. I just need the OK from Alain.

The upgrade will increase costs for the server to about $570 every six months which does not include any add-ons nor what Dion or another programmer would do related to software which is another matter.

What it will do is give us 6 cores of dedicated server (all of this is in a virtual server). We currently have a shared core which was fine when we had less traffic, less information on the servers. The new mvps will have 6 cores, give us twice as much storage and more bandwidth, over twice as much. The SSD drives will allow the site to load faster regardless of people on the site.

On the Internet, a virtual server is a server (computer and various server programs) at someone else's location that is shared by multiple Web site owners so that each owner can use and administer it as though they had complete control of the server. Some Internet service providers (ISPs) offer a virtual server service instead of, or in addition to, virtual hosting. Using a virtual server, a company or individual with a Web site can not only have their own domain name and IP address, but can administer their own file directories, add e-mail accounts and address assignments, assign multiple domain names that resolve to a basic domain name without involvement from the ISP, manage their own logs and statistics analysis, and maintain passwords. Users of a virtual server, however, do not have to manage the hardware aspects of running a server and effectively share the cost of expensive line connections to the Internet.

I have been thinking of adding a couple of sub forums (suggested by members here) that are in Spanish, Chinese/Japanese and perhaps a couple of more languages. We do get visitors from other countries here and I agree with some members that it might enhance the forum and perhaps bring in members not interested in tv watches or tired of places like WUS/TZ. Sooner or later we will have to upgrade the software. We use phpBBS which is free software but the modifications needed and such are not free as we all know. I have no idea when that might happen or the potential costs but I am exploring it.

At any rate, any suggestions going forward would be welcomed. it is your forum and as in your home it has to be comfortable, safe and interesting.

@John,

what you guys/gals do is up to you as far as support goes. We do not now have or ever will have sponsors here to spam the place or tell us what we can or cannot say.

1946-2006

Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by Mark1 » January 4th 2018, 8:34pm

conjurer wrote:

I'm with John on this one. Alain has foot the bill for Watchlords for a long time, never asking for anything. Until fairly recently, we haven't really even had a mechanism to contribute to the cost incurred to keep this place running. Respectful of that, I think it's time we figured out how to make this place self supporting.
We should IMO, come up with a way to determine wether we are meeting expenses. If it's just what Alain says that's okay, I just want to do my part to make sure he isn't bearing the burden alone. Maybe have some type of status update on a recurring basis. I know that other people here are willing to chip in for costs around here as we have done with auctions, donations, etc. I've had a couple road soda's let me know what the rest think about it.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » January 4th 2018, 8:46pm

Mark1 wrote:
conjurer wrote:

I'm with John on this one. Alain has foot the bill for Watchlords for a long time, never asking for anything. Until fairly recently, we haven't really even had a mechanism to contribute to the cost incurred to keep this place running. Respectful of that, I think it's time we figured out how to make this place self supporting.
We should IMO, come up with a way to determine wether we are meeting expenses. If it's just what Alain says that's okay, I just want to do my part to make sure he isn't bearing the burden alone. Maybe have some type of status update on a recurring basis. I know that other people here are willing to chip in for costs around here as we have done with auctions, donations, etc. I've had a couple road soda's let me know what the rest think about it.

100% in agreement with what you have said, Mark.

I am good with the next auctions being fully for WL upkeep if the donors are ok with same?
"You can't fix stupid but you can sedate the hell out of it."-Youseff Achmed, MD

https://imgur.com/h3UXafB
Racer-X (Online)
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Racer-X » January 4th 2018, 8:55pm

biglove wrote:
Mark1 wrote:
conjurer wrote:

100% in agreement with what you have said, Mark.

I am good with the next auctions being fully for WL upkeep if the donors are ok with same?

Yes to all of that.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » January 4th 2018, 11:15pm

Unless there are folks who donated who wish to PM me to let me know how they feel, I'd be happy to make the contributions for the final Swag-Fest auctions go 50/50 to St. Judes and forum upkeep.
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » January 5th 2018, 2:18am

If all regular posters set a recurring paypal donation of $5-10 a month, I expect we would pretty much be sorted.

Its easier than auctions.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
gerdson
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » January 5th 2018, 4:16am

I'm all in!

Just one thing - although we all agree that this forum should remain mostly unmoderated, I do still believe it should remain in the "lingua franca" English. If You open foreign language subforums, You will at least need people who monitor what is being written. The culture that has developed here, has, well, "developed" over the years and is to a large extent shaped by a lot of long-time members, and that is to a high degree what the "brand" watchlords stands for.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
Thunder1 (Online)
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » January 5th 2018, 7:29am

gerdson wrote:I'm all in!

Just one thing - although we all agree that this forum should remain mostly unmoderated, I do still believe it should remain in the "lingua franca" English. If You open foreign language subforums, You will at least need people who monitor what is being written. The culture that has developed here, has, well, "developed" over the years and is to a large extent shaped by a lot of long-time members, and that is to a high degree what the "brand" watchlords stands for.

I agree...at least 1/2 of the proceeds from auctions should go to forum upkeep..it w/b hard for many of us to follow what goes on in sub-forums w/ different languages..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
koimaster (Online)
Administrator/Founder

Post by koimaster » January 5th 2018, 9:36am

Thanks for the donations guys to those who recently have done so. This email is one of the reasons that had made me decide to upgrade. I noticed that we were taking longer to load threads and that the usage was going up. I contacted our hosting service to see if I could upgrade to the next tier and received the comment below. The current package could not be upgraded with more memory, bandwidth or storage. As an IT guy I tell clients all of the time that they need to upgrade because some of their programs are legacy or their hardware and software out of support. It makes sense to so now before any major problems occur.

We also host watchforums on this server and perhaps one day BDWF will either move onto the server or merge with watchforums. Either way there is a need to upgrade. I am going to let the hosting company know that we will make the move in the next week or so, perhaps as early as this weekend. There should be little if any disruptions. I will of course let everyone know when it will take place. And to repeat one important portion, the host provides protection against DDOS attacks which is what is alleged to have occurred for the second time during the CW sale. :roll:

Hi Alain,

Your current server is now considered a legacy package, and we don't offer any manner of upgrade options within that package tier, no

1946-2006

koimaster (Online)
Administrator/Founder

Post by koimaster » January 6th 2018, 10:24am

The switch should be made over the weekend and it should not affect bookmarks or links.

Your current package:

7000 GB Premium Bandwidth
2.5 GB RAM
80 GB Disk Space
Equal Share CPU
Dedicated IP: 2

Your new package:

4 TB Premium Bandwidth
6 GB RAM
150 GB SSD Storage Space
2 vCPU Cores
Dedicated IP: 2