Asked about Forum sponsorship

Stickys, Announcements and TOS are here
koimaster
Administrator/Founder
Facebook ID: 100000918104351

Asked about Forum sponsorship

Post by koimaster » August 14th 2019, 4:51pm

I have been approached a couple of times in the last couple of months by third parties who are interested in sponsoring the forum under certain conditions. I have made it clear to them as well as a couple of others that this place will never have sponsors other than the members themselves. This has been the policy since day one and will continue to be the policy here and at Bestdamnwatchforum.

Yes it costs money to run the place but we have kept the doors open now for almost 10 years and whatever shortfalls there are I pick up. The recent thread about the doxa dick leaving reminded me of the iron fisted control the mods have on sponsored forums such as TZ or WUS. In my opinion it is self serving since to say anything bad about their product would affect sales which translates into $$$$$. I have yet to understand why so many adults are fine with that. If you do not like a watch or strap or underwear, why would you be ok with folks telling you that saying something bad about a shitty product or shitty service will get you banned?

Not going to happen here. For the newbies, we have a reputation on this forum, we swear, we talk smack about companies and personalities and even each other on a good day but we are still here and many other fora are not. A couple of those had some big $$$$ behind them. They are still gone and fora such as this one still thrive without sponsors although I believe this may be one of only a couple that exist without corporate sponsorship of some type. Come here and peddle your watches and such but be prepared to hear real world comments. Otherwise we can point you to some gentler and kinder forums.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
gerdson
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Asked about Forum sponsorship

Post by gerdson » August 15th 2019, 12:22am

Thank You, Allain, for everything!

We all need to remember, it is not only the hosting cost, but also the numerous (endless number of) hours of "TLC" that go into keeping it clean. My assumption is, that the "very large platforms" like WUS (also the German "uhrforum.de") simply at some point in time required kind of "full-time" jobs for daily administration, and as such could not be handled on such a manner anymore. I do remember at uhrforum, there was also quite a discussion when it was "sold". But it may be worth to mention it is probably not fair to say that the owners simply "cashed out".

Anyways, the forums that are best are like this - totally free from any commercial interests, and funded by voluntary financial contributions.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Post by koimaster » August 15th 2019, 9:05am

We use funds to not only host the forum on our own SSD VPS (virtual private server) which also hosts Bestdamnwatchforum as well, but for Dion to do the recent upgrades to the forum software on both sites. You will see https// on the url rather than http://. We purchase SSL certificates to insure that your private information is safe and that the site is safe.
SSL stands for Secure Sockets Layer, a global standard security technology that enables encrypted communication between a web browser and a web server. It is utilized by millions1 of online businesses and individuals to decrease the risk of sensitive information (e.g., credit card numbers, usernames, passwords, emails, etc.) from being stolen or tampered with by hackers and identity thieves. In essence, SSL allows for a private “conversation” just between the two intended parties.
We have updated the databases on both sites at the suggestion of Dion as well which allow us to grow for some time. For newbies and the old farts and Ms.Farts on the forum, we do have sub forums which are request only. The political forum is not for the faint of heart and many have been broken in there. We have a media forum but honestly it is barely used anymore since the major informercial channel has become almost irrelevant and watchgeeks has been flushed into the history of what a watch forum should not be.

The archives are available to view when you log in. Watchlords is the original bad boy forum, the deep end of the pool where many have flailed and failed, drowning in the deep end cursing watchlords while crying out for a mod to close the thread. Yes, we swear here, we are do not respect those who try to sell folks lousy watches or related items. We have little use for those who come here to whine about what prigs we are such as the bazinga! aka the non existent Stephen Mazinger (transformer) Tuffatore (cliff diver)
https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/1117708268/created

There are other good forums out there and they have sponsors which is fine. Some are more open than others as far as what can be posted. This forum was based on the original TZ-UK and to a point the CW forum without the sponsorship. In the future I am certain that we will make changes here and there, a tweak of the forum and many tweaks of the nose of tools and fools. One thing I do now, even though it can be a pain in the ass to to admin stuff here and as the guys know at BDWF as well, it is well worth it. This is a members forum and always will be. For those who donate to the forum and more importantly to our charity auctions, thank you. For those that have not or do not :)**

1946-2006

fatman
ASSHAT

Post by fatman » August 19th 2019, 6:38am

I was told this was the place to be for unbiased watch opinions. I joined here because I want to get the bad ass seiko diver watch that gets me noticed by friends and people I don’t know. Then I read here that if I buy a seiko watch then I am a dick.

Signed
Confused but still want a badass seiko diver watch
HF
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Post by TemerityB » August 19th 2019, 7:36am

fatman wrote:
August 19th 2019, 6:38am
I was told this was the place to be for unbiased watch opinions. I joined here because I want to get the bad ass seiko diver watch that gets me noticed by friends and people I don’t know. Then I read here that if I buy a seiko watch then I am a dick.

Signed
Well done as always, fat! :trophy:

Sponsors? We don't need to stinkin' sponsors!
Buying a hat doesn't make you a cowboy.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » August 19th 2019, 8:05am

fatman wrote:

Signed
To all the noobs here, be aware that this man is a fucking legend on this forum. Moreover, he's also a fucking Viking.

Good to see you, Mr. Fatman!
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Post by koimaster » August 19th 2019, 8:21am

fatman wrote:

Signed
:bvbvbv:

Nice to see you here again. For new members, yes the man is a legend here and take some time to watch the video on the portal about picking a watch forum.

A salesman/company managed to get his own subforum at BDWF and hawks his stuff regularly.

Hoping that doesn't happen here......
Not as long as I am alive nor long after I turn the forum over to hooligans on this forum after I retire. I have left the running of BDWF to others and while I may agree with you, it is their forum to run as they see fit. Thomas Carey was long a fixture at the original BDWF and at one time had a thriving watch forum, now sadly gone.

1946-2006

JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Post by JAS1125 » August 19th 2019, 8:48am

koimaster wrote:
August 19th 2019, 8:21am
A salesman/company managed to get his own subforum at BDWF and hawks his stuff regularly.

Not as long as I am alive nor long after I turn the forum over to hooligans on this forum after I retire. I have left the running of BDWF to others and while I may agree with you, it is their forum to run as they see fit. Thomas Carey was long a fixture at the original BDWF and at one time had a thriving watch forum, now sadly gone.
Which is why I reached out to Tom.....I was hoping that he would be more engaged on the forum rather than post his wares, but that has not happened to date....the fault is mine, but the intentions were good.
Tom also donates to veterans, which I thought separated him from others
"Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance"

David Mamet
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Post by koimaster » August 19th 2019, 4:28pm

JAS1125 wrote:
August 19th 2019, 8:48am
koimaster wrote:
August 19th 2019, 8:21am

Which is why I reached out to Tom.....I was hoping that he would be more engaged on the forum rather than post his wares, but that has not happened to date....the fault is mine, but the intentions were good.
Tom also donates to veterans, which I thought separated him from others

I have known Tom Carey since the early 2000's. he is a good guy but BDWF is run by a group of good folks who can determine what they would like to see at that forum which is not Watchlords. We are not one and the same and the goals are not one and the same either. BDWF, regardless of whether it is the now deleted original (thanks Mike Horn and Rick the dick Marei) or the new version, has been around since 2004 in one form of another. It will continue to survive with the help of the folks who run the place.

1946-2006

Return to “Announcements”