Micro-Brands discussed here
codguy
ASSHAT

Re: YouTuber Jody Launches Watch Brand

Post by codguy » October 7th 2023, 6:58am

My observations-----------

•Appearance doesn't totally suck, I actually like the look
•Bracelet needs to be beefier, knot thick enough
•Don't know shit about the Seiko NH35A, but it is often used by Invicter so its got two be good
•The dude talks funny (weird dialect)
•Big bonus, It has more lumb than my Zenith Port Royal ⬇︎

All in all, knot for me but I've seen worser

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » October 18th 2023, 7:38pm

I really only know Jody from his 1963 posts--and he made a very decent attempt at unravelling the who's who story. Not perfect, but way better than I'd seen up to that point.

And he loves watches.

Highly visible. Date at 6, appears solid enough, decent WR. I don;t need one, but I hope he makes a decent profit
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » October 18th 2023, 7:52pm

AlbertaTime wrote:
October 18th 2023, 7:38pm
I hope he makes a decent profit
Why? What's to be celebrated/encouraged here? Surely there are enough Alibaba watches out there already?
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » October 18th 2023, 9:47pm

jason_recliner wrote:
October 18th 2023, 7:52pm
AlbertaTime wrote:
Why? What's to be celebrated/encouraged here? Surely there are enough Alibaba watches out there already?
Why would I have a problem with anyone who likes it enough to buy it, and why would I wish Jody any ill will? He's got a watch channel and he's selling watches. Good on 'im, unless he's dishonest somehow I don't know about.

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » October 18th 2023, 10:59pm

AlbertaTime wrote:
October 18th 2023, 9:47pm
jason_recliner wrote:
AlbertaTime wrote:
Why would I have a problem with anyone who likes it enough to buy it, and why would I wish Jody any ill will? He's got a watch channel and he's selling watches. Good on 'im, unless he's dishonest somehow I don't know about.
It just seems like he's causing people to waste their money and contributing nothing to society. How is what he's doing any better than Invictim? People will spend hundreds of $$$ on them, Alibaba will respond to demand and release more of this garbage, they'll sit in drawers or contribute to waste (although I suppose they are largely recyclable, which is a plus). Not saying he's dishonest, more that he's a wart on the arse of society, taking advantage of idiotic social media hype culture and the imbeciles that go along with it. Other than that I suppose it's a decent business and I don't have a problem with his watches (other than they are awful).

If it thinks, it stinks
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » October 19th 2023, 6:20pm

jason_recliner wrote:
October 18th 2023, 10:59pm
AlbertaTime wrote:
jason_recliner wrote:

It just seems like he's causing people to waste their money and contributing nothing to society. How is what he's doing any better than Invictim? People will spend hundreds of $$$ on them, Alibaba will respond to demand and release more of this garbage, they'll sit in drawers or contribute to waste (although I suppose they are largely recyclable, which is a plus). Not saying he's dishonest, more that he's a wart on the arse of society, taking advantage of idiotic social media hype culture and the imbeciles that go along with it. Other than that I suppose it's a decent business and I don't have a problem with his watches (other than they are awful).
Invicta grossly misrepresented their product and defrauded the public. While I don't care for the Jody watch, or for Jody much for that matter, and the watches are low brow, the product is represented as such—Jody's pitch often references corners cut in consideration of cost—buy what you like, just know what you're buying. There is certainly worse out there for far more money.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2023 3flushes Media.^^^
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » October 19th 2023, 6:27pm

3Flushes wrote:
October 19th 2023, 6:20pm
jason_recliner wrote:
October 18th 2023, 10:59pm
AlbertaTime wrote:

Invicta grossly misrepresented their product and defrauded the public. While I don't care for the Jody watch, or for Jody much for that matter, and the watches are low brow, the product is represented as such—Jody's pitch often references corners cut in consideration of cost—buy what you like, just know what you're buying. There is certainly worse out there for far more money.
How much do these cost (I don't want to click on his site)? I can't think of many (any?) worse watches but I guess if they are US$150 or so then yeah they are probably decent for the $$$.

If it thinks, it stinks
conjurer
Owner

Post by conjurer » October 20th 2023, 10:21pm

Interestingly, I agree with Underscore. If you want a cheap dive watch, spend the same money (or less, probably) on an Orient.

Almost all microbrands are shit. This one shows no originality, no passion, no coolness, nothing. Made on the cheap from stock parts and cases, probably with slave labor, there's nothing in these watches that inspire confidence or excitement.
bedlam
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bedlam » October 21st 2023, 1:12am

Gonna spend $250 on a cheap, dependable dive watch. Case closed IMO

Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
Capitalism: a cult that promised to do good for the worst reasons.
Nationalism: a profound longing to go back to a past that never existed.
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » October 23rd 2023, 1:05pm

I too have no issue with the old boy making a little coin. Arguably, doing so by means of a monetized youtube channel is the distilled essence of capitalism since he makes dosh even if he doesn't move a single one. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Economic models aside there's something mildly disquieting about a rainbow-hued wartch collection named "Erebus". It should be a single model with a black dial, black hands, black markers and dull black case with a razor wire band. Lest he piss off any remnants of the Greek pantheon.
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » October 24th 2023, 2:56am

artman wrote:
October 20th 2023, 6:08pm
Cheers to capitalism...
Nothing is perfect. This is the shittiest side of capitalism failing to do anything positive or productive. Literally the market mechanism failing.

If it thinks, it stinks
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » October 24th 2023, 6:13am

Re: "It just seems like he's causing people to waste their money and contributing nothing to society."

*All* economic valuations are subjective. All of them, no exceptions.

jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » October 24th 2023, 2:54pm

AlbertaTime wrote:
October 24th 2023, 6:13am

*All* economic valuations are subjective. All of them, no exceptions.
Not really. The market is supposed to be a mechanism for most efficent allocation of scarce resources. Jody-Wartche = Market Failure.

If it thinks, it stinks

Return to “Micro-Brands”