Spinnaker?

Micro-Brands discussed here
AJC
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Spinnaker?

Post by AJC » May 15th 2020, 11:30am

I've never heard of this brand but it's intriguing and including coupon codes for under $200 on a strap and under $250 on this BOR bracelet, I might try it out.

What's the word on Spinnaker? Has anyone had any issues with this brand? Someone brought it up about a year ago but I was wondering if anything has changed since.

---
-ajc
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Spinnaker?

Post by conjurer » May 15th 2020, 11:59am

I don't recall if anyone here has one or not; Long Island Watch carries 'em, so I suppose that says something.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
biglove (Online)
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » May 15th 2020, 7:56pm

They are popular on the FB budget watch groups. A bit large for my tastes but appear well made for the $.

From the Interwebs..

“ About Spinnaker: Spinnaker is one of multiple watch brands of Dartmouth Brands, which sells watches made by Hong Kong watch maker Solar Time, Ltd., founded in 1977. Dartmouth is wholly or majority-owned by Notan Tolani, a naturalized British citizen born in 1946 who immigrated to Hong Kong from Pakistan (he identifies as Indian) when he was 22. Corporate filings indicate that, along with Tolani, Solar Time is also a majority or whole owner of Dartmouth, leading me to believe that Tolani owns Solar, which in turn owns Dartmouth. Dartmouth is a U.K. corporation, apparently a non-resident corporation with no offices in the U.K., because its contact information for legal process is a mail drop/resident agent company.
Solar Time Limited in Chinese is 蘇拿太有限公司.
(Sources: Forum post, U.K. Companies House website, website for expat Indians in Hong Kong, Bloomberg website, Hong Kong ICRIS company registries search.)”
"I believe in a God who doesn't need heavy financing." Irwin M. Fletcher, Fletch Lives, 1989
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Post by AJC » May 16th 2020, 1:37pm

biglove wrote:
May 15th 2020, 7:56pm
They are popular on the FB budget watch groups. A bit large for my tastes but appear well made for the $.
Reviews show ~42mm case & 47mm lug to lug, around what a lot of popular Seiko divers measure. But honestly I lost interest in this watch already.
---
-ajc
TemerityB (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » May 16th 2020, 2:11pm

The brand has been around a while, and I honestly thought they were of the Invicta/Stuhrling/Android ilk. I could be wrong, I have no experience with them; I just know on some forums I saw people dissing the brand (WUS, as I recall).
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » May 16th 2020, 5:46pm

Those are nice designs. The middle is very cool. They got the date wheel colours correct.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Post by AJC » May 17th 2020, 5:20am

TemerityB wrote:
May 16th 2020, 2:11pm
The brand has been around a while, and I honestly thought they were of the Invicta/Stuhrling/Android ilk. I could be wrong, I have no experience with them; I just know on some forums I saw people dissing the brand (WUS, as I recall).
I thought it was another nameless microbrand. Doesn't matter though, I wasn't interested any longer once I saw these are pre-order. Quality akin to TV brands only serves to take it off the back burner and into the garbage disposal.
---
-ajc

Return to “Micro-Brands”