Squale Watches - Who owns them

Micro-Brands discussed here
koimaster
Founder

Squale Watches - Who owns them

Post by koimaster » June 18th 2019, 9:09am

Have you ever wondered who owns Squale Watch and the website that the urban gentry is sold on. Not sure who owns Squale Watch but this is who owns SqualeWatches.com website despite his attempt to hide privatize the domain registration.

Thanks to Google and archive history, it's not some Italian stallion from Milan; it's Marc Frankel from Long Island Watch as you can plainly see in the screenshot. So the next question you might ask is where is Long Island Watch and as you can see in the other screenshot, it's actually a UPS Mail Store on "Wall St" in Huntington, NY.

I can only imagine someone sitting in thier basement re-dialing some Squale's into the TGV Mudsharks and waiting for TGV fanboys & suckers to pay $900.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Squale Watches - Who owns them

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » June 18th 2019, 10:10am

Long Island Watch is a rather well-known shop. Still, it looks odd to have a watch shop with its registered seat at...a UPS parcel shop.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
NorthCountry
Senior Member & WIS

Post by NorthCountry » June 18th 2019, 2:04pm

Marc Frankel must have the exclusive USA distribution rights and his domain ownership is tied to that. Gnomon is the second result when I searched Squale watches. Further search gave me the Maggi family as owners of the brand.
Last edited by NorthCountry on June 18th 2019, 2:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by foghorn » June 18th 2019, 2:04pm

Pete26 wrote:Hmm Interesting, Marc has always said he is on-line only and people are not welcome to visit his store. his review video's all seem to be in a house, so I am assuming Long Island Watch is purely on-line store only with no brick and mortar presence

I never thought any different other than online only. No phone orders either.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » June 18th 2019, 8:09pm

There really is a Wall Street in Huntington, trust me.

Also - why not ask Marc? Guy's a straight shooter. He announced he had gotten the rights to sell Squale in the U.S. about four years back, I believe. He was right up front about it; at that point, if you clicked "Squale" at LIW, it took you directly to the Squale website, which was administered by Frankel.

I know it looks cheesy to have LIW come up as a UPS Store - but when I ran a small music business about 15 years ago, the official mailing address was a similar shipping place; it was allowed back then. It gave me an NYC address without having to set up a physical office there, and I ran the biz out of Queens. My biz address was something like "28 Third Avenue #240," and the 240 was the box number. I had a full-time gig in Manhattan and it was actually easier to grab all my mail there. Since then, they've changed regulations about addresses by altering how the addresses can be written, but back then this stuff was common.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » June 18th 2019, 9:13pm

TemerityB wrote:There really is a Wall Street in Huntington, trust me.

Also - why not ask Marc? Guy's a straight shooter. He announced he had gotten the rights to sell Squale in the U.S. about four years back, I believe. He was right up front about it; at that point, if you clicked "Squale" at LIW, it took you directly to the Squale website, which was administered by Frankel.

I know it looks cheesy to have LIW come up as a UPS Store - but when I ran a small music business about 15 years ago, the official mailing address was a similar shipping place; it was allowed back then. It gave me an NYC address without having to set up a physical office there, and I ran the biz out of Queens. My biz address was something like "28 Third Avenue #240," and the 240 was the box number. I had a full-time gig in Manhattan and it was actually easier to grab all my mail there. Since then, they've changed regulations about addresses by altering how the addresses can be written, but back then this stuff was common.

Well said.

I always thought that the modern Squales were made by Steinhart--I have no proof of this at all, apart from the surprising similarities with the bracelets and clasps.
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » June 19th 2019, 9:13am

conjurer wrote:I always thought that the modern Squales were made by Steinhart--I have no proof of this at all, apart from the surprising similarities with the bracelets and clasps.

Here's the thing... Most companies - budget, mid-tier and luxury alike - used to outsource components.

In the lower tier, a company could well not have made a single part by themselves.

The good question is if things have changed oh-so-much. It may be that Steinhart and Squale simply share the same supplier of bracelets.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » June 19th 2019, 7:24pm

Swole, Squale, Croton. All have good reasons to change their name especially when the names occur in the same sentence and comes off sounding like some weaponized STD from 'Nam era conspiracy theories. "My doctor squaled my swole croton GODAM it" sort of thing.

I've only bought once from Marc and it seemed for all the world like a basement-based business but still worked very well. In fact if he had a storefront he'd probably try to land GS and I'd be well and truly fucked.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » February 21st 2020, 10:49am

F658AB27-5828-47F5-9C30-7F58FBC24C5B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."

Return to “Micro-Brands”