Understanding The Rise Of The Microbrands

Micro-Brands discussed here
koimaster
Founder

Understanding The Rise Of The Microbrands

Post by koimaster » January 3rd 2019, 11:58am

M
access to less costly global watch manufacturing and a direct-to-consumer internet sales model that undercut the traditional retail world of watch sales.

One thing to note right at the top is that the term "microbrand" is not one that is preferred by many of the brands discussed here. Nearly all of the people I spoke to for this story expressed some distaste at the terminology and how it operates as a blanket term for small watch brands that operate online, which lumps quality producers in with scam artists and get-rich-quick schemes. While I entirely agree with this sentiment (I’ve always hated the term "blogger"), I don’t know of a better term that was born alongside these brands (it’s even in Wikipedia). For the record, all of the key respondents in this piece were selected because of their high-quality products and enthusiast-focused mindset. But I digress.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/under ... icrobrands

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Understanding The Rise Of The Microbrands

Post by conjurer » January 3rd 2019, 4:06pm

Here's my understanding of the rise of microbrands: the average American consumer can no longer discern the difference between price and value.

There. I saved you stupid bastards a whole lot of reading!!
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Post by TemerityB » January 3rd 2019, 6:21pm

conjurer wrote:Here's my understanding of the rise of microbrands: the average American consumer can no longer discern the difference between price and value.

There. I saved you stupid bastards a whole lot of reading!!

WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Post by bbattle » August 4th 2019, 3:52pm

Microbrands are a product of the internet; they wouldn't exist otherwise and we'd miss out on a lot of cool looking watches. And Mr. Bazinga! wouldn't have any watches to gush over.

But watches are considered art by many and you can't commoditize art unless you want to be selling your stuff at flea markets or Wal-mart.

And the internet has enabled artists of all types to get their work seen by millions without having to pay some gallery or shop a huge fee. So I don't mind microbrand watches; I do mind getting ripped off but that can happen anywhere.

As always, do your homework. Sites like this one are invaluable for educating those ignorant of what makes a watch good and what is to be avoided.

I personally would avoid anything on StartKicker or from some sketchy eBay seller or sites like that Borealis where they want you to "pre-order" and send cash upfront. If Borealis is legitimate, they can find some investors eager to get them the cash they need to order stuff to get their watches made. (seriously, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting somebody with money to burn on the right investment). If Borealis wants to be taken seriously, they need to drop that pre-order crap. AND be upfront about the real cost of the watch.

The microbrands that I have bought were through third party websites like pageandcooper.com
Of course, I'm staying in the shallow end of the pool; the desire to jump off the high dive hasn't hit me yet. $300 - $400 watches are one thing; if it's crap, you're not out much.

The "average" American consumer has never been able to distinguish between price and value. People buying automatic watches are not "average". Jury is still out on buyers of battery powered watches but there's hope.

On the other hand, most people are buying the expensive Apple and Samsung smartphones instead of cheaping out on the gov't. approved welfare models. But yeah, whether it's kitchen knives, razors, cars, alcoholic beverages, toaster ovens, barbeque grills, or car wax, most consumers assume that if it's at Wal-mart, it's good enough for them. (don't get me started on any of the above items unless you've brought plenty of Scotch. and not that blended swill, I mean Balvenie double wood or Macallan 15 yr. or Lagavulin)

Return to “Micro-Brands”