Undone Batman 80th Anniversary Watches

Micro-Brands discussed here
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Undone Batman 80th Anniversary Watches

Post by koimaster » February 10th 2020, 10:27am

Sean: It’s probably best if I start off my portion of this review with a disclaimer: Despite being a dyed-in-the-wool superhero fan, I was never all that into Batman as a kid. Other than the excellent animated series with Mark Hamill’s iconic Joker performance, I was a Marvel kid, far more invested in the struggles of Spider-Man, Wolverine, and the Incredible Hulk than anything going on in Gotham. Like many people, though, my outlook changed with the release of the Christopher Nolan films. This darker, more realistic take on Bruce Wayne’s world came right around the same time I began my journey as a watch collector, so having a chance to explore them both is an interesting experience.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/hands-on-u ... TOWATCH%29

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
TemerityB (Online)
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Undone Batman 80th Anniversary Watches

Post by TemerityB » February 10th 2020, 12:42pm

There are so many watch brands doing superhero tie-ins at this point (including TV shit) that it puts these things in a zero collectibility category; an autograph from a blade of grass will be worth more.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
3Flushes (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » February 10th 2020, 1:38pm

codguy wrote:
February 10th 2020, 12:22pm

Personally I'm going to hold out for the Tasmanian Devil and Yosemite Sam model wartches.
Have you heard something?

O boy O boy O boy O boy O boy O boy O boy O boy O boy O boyO boy O boy O boy O boy O boyO boy O boy O boy O boy O boyO boy O boy O boy O boy O boyO boy O boy O boy O boy O boy O boy O boy O boy O boy O boy O boy 🎵 Ohh ♬ BOYyyyyyyyyyyy 🎵
Copyright ©️ 2019 3flushes Media.

The past is never dead. It isn't even past.- Faulkner
3Flushes (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » February 10th 2020, 1:44pm

TemerityB wrote:
February 10th 2020, 12:42pm
There are so many watch brands doing superhero tie-ins at this point (including TV shit) that it puts these things in a zero collectibility category; an autograph from a blade of grass will be worth more.
Indeed.

They ought to undo putting that wartche on the market.

Ed- Limited Edition, even in the fine art world means much less for value over time than ever. It is worth alas what someone will pay you for it, your receipt or appraisal notwithstanding. Very few price tags for very few artists are nonnegotiable in the American art world. A watch relatable case in point, Warner Brothers animation art. My dearly, departed father, his dearly, departed sister and her daughter began collecting limited edition WB cel art in 1992, thereabouts.

IDK how many of us remember a Warner Brothers store in virtually every mall in America. AIR they had about 150 stores nationwide for 10 or 12 years; until 2001 or '02, they were everywhere. The store in Times Square was a 3 floor (plus bargain basement) wonderland of one of the best parts of my childhood.

The giant stores sold T-shirts, mugs, sweats, P.J.'s, toys and kids clothing. Everything that could be branded was branded- but the giant walls-o-cels were really the draw as the art was pretty much the only thing that changed on an almost constant basis. At some point Warner bought Turner which added Turner's Hanna-Barbera holdings- the Flintstones, the Jetsons, Scooby Doo, Yogi, and whonot to the lineup.

My dad and co stuck with editions of 750 that were manually signed by the artists. WB issued some pieces in editions of less than 750 including two highly valuable 1/1's whose whereabouts, last I knew, were unknown. Editions ranged up to 1,200 AFAIK, but there could be some higher. Many very cool pieces were unlimited and there is no record of how many of those were ultimately sold.

Cels included a certificate of authenticity with a raised WB seal. It recorded the number of the holographic seal on the front of the piece, the title and edition size, and the date signed by the artist. If the cel was purchased framed- not too badly priced in a package- the certificate was attached to the back with the price tag and a security tab in the lower right hand corner; those were purchased right off of the wall. Virtually everything sold out and has been for the better part of twenty years.

Half price to the seller on a very good day for the most popular pieces, somewhat lower on a scale of demand for the rest. If the seller is a dealer or auction house, they likely paid 20 to 25%, even less in quantity, gallery bankruptcies or from estates. Some large images and early editions can bring decent, but certainly not investment, or even appreciated, returns.

And they are absolutely everywhere- Virtually everything sold out and has been for the better part of twenty years; apparently 2.1 million editions limited to 750 pieces or so that sold like hotcakes. Like the Seamaster or the OP wartche.
Last edited by 3Flushes on February 10th 2020, 6:54pm, edited 2 times in total.

bbattle

Post by bbattle » February 10th 2020, 3:57pm

There seems to be an insatiable demand for these "collectibles" but at some point the dam is going to break. Like it did with Beanie Babies, baseball cards, and commemorative plates that Grandma hung on the wall.

I bought my Undone Snoopy ACES chronograph because I work at MSFC; if it happens to be worth something in 30 years, my great grandson will thank me.

And you know UnDone will be doing some Star Wars watches; it's only a matter of time. <pun intended>

Invicta has already jumped on that bandwagon. Hideously, of course.
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Post by koimaster » February 10th 2020, 5:48pm

codguy wrote:

Personally I'm going to hold out for the Tasmanian Devil and Yosemite Sam model wartches.

:Thumbsup: :Thumbsup:

3Flushes wrote:
February 10th 2020, 1:38pm
codguy wrote:

O boy O boy O boy O boy O boy O boy O boy O boy O boy O boyO boy O boy O boy O boy O boyO boy O boy O boy O boy O boyO boy O boy O boy O boy O boyO boy O boy O boy O boy O boy O boy O boy O boy O boy O boy O boy 🎵 Ohh ♬ BOYyyyyyyyyyyy 🎵

I thought we got rid of mort :dssd:

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
3Flushes (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » February 10th 2020, 6:52pm

koimaster wrote:
February 10th 2020, 5:48pm
codguy wrote:

:Thumbsup: :Thumbsup:

3Flushes wrote:
February 10th 2020, 1:38pm
codguy wrote:

I thought we got rid of mort :dssd:
Wha'd I use that clown font of his or something? :lol:

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » February 10th 2020, 9:32pm

It really makes me wish to vomit when I read grown men writing about motherfucking comic book characters like they were fucking debating about Stendhal. Anybody who writes about the darkness of the Christopher Nolan Batman can suck my motherfucking dick.

Besides, the only real Batman was played by Adam West; and we all knew he was rogering Burt Ward's tight young bum.
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » February 11th 2020, 7:51pm

Frankly, I don't like a direct movie/TV series/comic book reference on a watch. I don't like the Bond LEs by Omega. I don't like the Marvel shit in any brand. Guess the same goes for DC Comics shit. Or any other franchise being the focal point of a watch design, no matter if it's an Undone Batman, or a Vianney Halter "Deep Space Nine" turdbillion.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
TemerityB (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » February 12th 2020, 3:13pm

bbattle wrote:
February 10th 2020, 3:57pm
There seems to be an insatiable demand for these "collectibles" but at some point the dam is going to break.
Really? So why do I see Invicta and Citizen watches with Aquamen and Capt. Marvels in the red-tag cases in off-price stores like T.J Maxx and Nordstrom rack all the time? Sure, there's the comics geek factor, but it usually ends once, say, the new Avengers movie follows the new Batman film; those young'uns have the attention span of sand gnats.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster

Return to “Micro-Brands”