Why I hate Ebay

Ebay Auctions and any sales off-site go here. See something for sale that might interest members, it goes here too.
foghorn (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time

Why I hate Ebay

Post by foghorn » October 1st 2019, 6:21am

I haven't used Ebay since forever,but I caved last week.
I ordered a watch from a reputable Japanese seller. (99.9%) The watch was priced lower than at non-Japan bases sites. This was 9/26
Order confirmed and funds processed 9/27
Noticed that since I placed my order the item was relisted for 250 bucks more than original listing.
Got shipping notice and tracking # 9/28
Got a notice from Ebay saying the order was cancelled, by me. (nope) 9/30
Got an email from seller saying the watch was damaged by Japan Post and returned to the seller,prompting the cancellation and subsequent refund. The site still shows an in stock status even though I contacted the seller for a replacement. Of course they claim not in stock in emails. And apparently I can't leave feedback for a cancelled order..
I did get a refund and not out any money,but this smells rotten.
Fuck Ebay .
Datsun240Z71
Founding Member - WIS

Re: Why I hate Ebay

Post by Datsun240Z71 » October 1st 2019, 6:42am

That sure sounds like BS to me. I try to deal with US sellers when possible... but that is no excuse for any seller seemingly pulling a fast one like here... obviously to relist at a higher price.

Honestly I have over 600 purchases on Ebay with only one or two minor issues that were quickly and satisfactorily resolved. Never had an instance like this.

I bit on the Bulova Devil Diver last week on Ebay. Should arrive tomorrow but FedEx is holding it until I can pick it up next week.
Randy in Nashville
MAX (Online)
Facebook ID: 0

Post by MAX » October 1st 2019, 7:04am

Add this post to the "I hate Amazon, Google, Facebook, Twitter and on and on ad nauseum" posts but Ill still continue to use them.

Cant paint the whole place with one paintbrush. Some sellers suck but most Ive dealt with have been great. Could say the same thing about WUS.

Caveat Emptor rules.
"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » October 1st 2019, 7:34am

foghorn wrote:
October 1st 2019, 6:21am
I haven't used Ebay since forever,but I caved last week.
I ordered a watch from a reputable Japanese seller. (99.9%) The watch was priced lower than at non-Japan bases sites. This was 9/26
Order confirmed and funds processed 9/27
Noticed that since I placed my order the item was relisted for 250 bucks more than original listing.
Got shipping notice and tracking # 9/28
Got a notice from Ebay saying the order was cancelled, by me. (nope) 9/30
Got an email from seller saying the watch was damaged by Japan Post and returned to the seller,prompting the cancellation and subsequent refund. The site still shows an in stock status even though I contacted the seller for a replacement. Of course they claim not in stock in emails. And apparently I can't leave feedback for a cancelled order..
I did get a refund and not out any money,but this smells rotten.
Fuck Ebay .
I don't know, Foggy, it seems to me that the watch was damaged in route to you, and that you were taken care of financially by both Ebay & the seller..and it seems that the seller can't release another watch of the same kind to you at that earlier price point...just curious, what watch was it that you ordered?..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
foghorn (Online)

Post by foghorn » October 1st 2019, 7:55am

Tracking # showed that watch was only being prepared for shipment. It never indicated that it had actually shipped. Item is still in stock. The seller gave 2 different reasons for the cancellation.
I think they cancelled due to relisting at a much higher price. It's not Ebays fault but fuck them any ways. Fuck 'em in the ear.
GTFOML!!
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by svaglic » October 1st 2019, 7:56am

I won a Gram Parsons sealed record a few years ago. I was so excited about getting it, I knew it was a great deal and the winning bid wasn’t much.
Then I got the email saying that they couldn’t find it to send so they cancelled it and gave me my money back. A few weeks later they listed it at a buy it now price that was more along what it was worth. I was pretty upset about it, but like you said, I couldn’t leave feedback or anything. I just had to eat it. That was probably my worst ebay experience.
Everybody is out to make that dollar and they cut corners and find the loopholes to do it.
The truth doesn't hurt unless it ought to.
B. C. Forbes
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » October 1st 2019, 8:02am

Not to sound like a pedantic third grade English teacher but the seller certainly could provide another watch for the original price but he has chosen not to.

Whether this constitutes something hinky about the seller is less clear. It's rather of a too elaborate ruse to keep from honoring what might have been an erroneously low listing. Japan post would have a record of receipt and return which, if I was the seller, I would have provided. Minus that it's merely a claim of damage in transit.

My long-standing dispute with paypal keeps me from enjoying whatever dubious benefits might be attendant to dealing with Ebay sellers generally. There is nothing on this planet that I want enough to use paypal to get it.

Foggy beat me to it: a claim of damage is distinct from actual damage.
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Racer-X » October 1st 2019, 8:25am

May not be the case here, but many ebay (and Amazon) sellers have an automated system that adjusts their prices to match or beat the next lowest price on the same item from other sellers. This system can mess up, the item being matched may be fraudulent or gets sold before the price can be readjusted, or the seller decides they don’t want to sell at that price.

Ebay gives all sellers 30 days to cancel any order for any reason, even if the buyer has paid. If they do it a lot, it can affect their status, but many have several accounts.

Not sure how the seller made this a buyer cancellation to avoid feedback.
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » October 1st 2019, 9:25am

Racer-X wrote:
October 1st 2019, 8:25am
...Not sure how the seller made this a buyer cancellation to avoid feedback.
They lie their fucking asses off is how- EBAY doesn't check, I guess they figure buyers will complain if they have a cobb up their ass about it. The process for buyers is a complete hand-job on an un-consummated sale where funds are not in question.

I'm strictly a buyer- never a watch... I have received negative feedback 3X (in 15-20 years, so not a chronic deal, really, but) for not leaving a seller their feedback quickly enough. I search the bay when I can't find something anywhere else, try to "Buy It Now" if I can, if not, set an alarm for the last day and try to win an auction. I pay immediately and never go back until my next search in desperation for something. After logging in and finding the neg feedback, my emails to them were as follows: I bid on item, I pay you within a couple hours. I intercourse you and your item. Then I left a retaliatory neg with the feedback, see IM.
Two complained about the language and I apologized to eBay profusely as English was my third language. The complaint bots handling the issues seemed ok with that.

Fuck 'em unless I need 'em.
Copyright ©️ 2019 3flushes Media.

The past is never dead. It isn't even past.- Faulkner
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Racer-X » October 1st 2019, 9:42am

3Flushes wrote:
October 1st 2019, 9:25am
I'm strictly a buyer- never a watch... I have received negative feedback 3X (in 15-20 years, so not a chronic deal, really, but) for not leaving a seller their feedback quickly enough. I search the bay when I can't find something anywhere else, try to "Buy It Now" if I can, if not, set an alarm for the last day and try to win an auction. I pay immediately and never go back until my next search in desperation for something. After logging in and finding the neg feedback, my emails to them were as follows: I bid on item, I pay you within a couple hours. I intercourse you and your item. Then I left a retaliatory neg with the feedback, see IM.
Two complained about the language and I apologized to eBay profusely as English was my third language. The complaint bots handling the issues seemed ok with that.

Fuck 'em unless I need 'em.
Thankfully, sellers can no longer leave negative feedback for buyers. Back when they could, and you were also a seller, it required you to have a separate account just for selling. This kept any negatives from buying off your seller account, but made it take longer to get a higher feedback count.
foghorn (Online)

Post by foghorn » October 1st 2019, 1:14pm

I called Ebay and , to my surprise, they came through. (I think) . I told them it wasn't a buyer cancellation as was reported to them by the seller so I can now lambaste" japan.media.store" for their sleezbag move. But I have to wait 7 days since that is the date the watch was estimated to arrive. Or something like that. They even encouraged me to leave the feedback so other buyers would be aware of these D-bags,to my utter shoock.
BTW-the item still shows in stock.
So take away some FU points from ebay and put them on japan.media.store
Gotta go chase some kids off the lawn now.
foghorn (Online)

Post by foghorn » October 8th 2019, 8:41am

Update:I was able to leave feedback ,and did, yesterday. There was only 1 other negative listed in the past 6 months.
Today,like fucking magic,the seller shows 100% positive feedback with both negatives gone.

WTF
koimaster
Administrator/Founder
Facebook ID: 100000918104351

Post by koimaster » October 8th 2019, 9:11am

foghorn wrote:
October 8th 2019, 8:41am
Update:I was able to leave feedback ,and did, yesterday. There was only 1 other negative listed in the past 6 months.
Today,like fucking magic,the seller shows 100% positive feedback with both negatives gone.

WTF
I was not aware you could have negative feedback removed. The appeal process normally takes quite awhile. I would contact ebay to find out what happened.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."

Return to “eBay & Off-Site Sales”