So today we were down for a bit

Forum Announcements & TOS are here
koimaster
Founder

So today we were down for a bit

Post by koimaster » August 13th 2020, 10:53am

As per Dion
Your VPS is getting hammered by bots/intruders. It isn't just website bots looking for vulnerabilities; it's backend SSH/FTP login attempts, cPanel login attempts, SMTP server login attempts, etc.
I have been dealing with trolls trying to access the forum, mostly from the baltic states and banning them. Apparently our forum host is going to have to do some as Dion says
aggressive server-level IP banning. And not banning individual IP addresses, which is a waste of time...banning entire blocks of IP addresses
So knownhost is now aware of the problem and as been asked to deal with it. No, they did not get into the forum or anywhere else. They just sucked up the bandwidth to access the place. Perhaps it is related to the nasty ban comments I use with them. :roll:

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Re: So today we were down for a bit

Post by TemerityB » August 13th 2020, 3:32pm

I've been having web issues with my biz all day today as well. I've accomplished zilch thanks to it. Wonderful. Site its now completely down; on hold with the web hosting company as we speak.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » August 13th 2020, 4:18pm

AntFarm wrote:
August 13th 2020, 4:09pm
just a question... If you ban an IP does that mean that the site doesn't exist for that person or ip address or is it that they just can not log in and create an account? just curious.
They cannot see the site. A error message pops up to tell them they cannot reach the site.

1946-2006

koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » August 13th 2020, 11:43pm

bobbee wrote:
August 13th 2020, 10:48pm
I tried to log in using the hospital's free wi-fi last weekend, and was banned for being a commie fuck. :mrgreen:
Ban on ip ranges used by spammers and I use colorful language and sayings for those banned. Apparently your wi-fi at that site is on a blacklist site where I check IP addresses.

1946-2006

Return to “The Koi Pond”