Crazy Sound Of A Bumper

Have a love for a bygone era? Discuss you vintage loves here!
koimaster
Founder

Crazy Sound Of A Bumper

Post by koimaster » May 9th 2021, 6:41pm

I bet most of you have your underdog. A decent smaller watch that you all hold on to, even though you don’t wear it often. The bumper Alpina Rensie is one of the earliest vintage watches I bought. Every time I see it in a drawer, my heart skips a beat.

Early automatic watches with the so-called bumper movement are always fun. As explained in the Alpina History Brand Book, “they relied on an active swinging weight to tighten the mainspring which, when fully wound, contained enough power to keep the watch running for circa forty hours.” If you put the case back down you will see two springs that allow the central weight to bump. It is, in short, a simple and genius movement.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/alpina- ... ent-watch/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Re: Crazy Sound Of A Bumper

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » May 10th 2021, 2:22pm

Tell me all about it, Mr. Rosputinsky...

1950s Alpina with a Taubert Vacuum case, equipped with the cal.584, i.e. the sweep second version of the same movement (cal. 582):

1948 Eterna with cal. 833, which is basically the 905 on a wider baseplate and equipped with a bumper auto assembly:

I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst.
Elim Garak, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

No good deed ever goes unpunished.
Rule of Acquisition no.285

Return to “Vintage Watches”