Thermidor chronograph calibre 12

Have a love for a bygone era? Discuss you vintage loves here!
koimaster
Founder

Thermidor chronograph calibre 12

Post by koimaster » April 29th 2020, 7:44pm

This charming Thermidor twin register chronograph came in for a service recently. What’s interesting about this watch is it’s powered by a Calibre 12 movement, the calibre 11 which preceded it was developed by the ‘Chronomatic’ partnership of Heuer, Breitling, Hamilton-Buren and Dubois-Depraz in an attempt to be the first to the market with an automatic winding chronograph. The calibre 11 was revealed to the press on March 3 1969 in press conferences in NewYork and Geneva and was manufactured until about 1973. The calibre 12 was introduced in 1971 and was produced until 1980. The calibre 12 addressed a few of the issues that appeared with the calibre 11’s, modifications included using lighter jumper springs, a weaker mainspring to drive a redesigned date mechanism, some strengthening of various levers and hammers and a faster beat rate of 21,600 as opposed to the cal 11’s 19,800. This Thermidor cased example has a typically bright seventies style dial and handset design, and you can also see one of the cal 11/12’s more striking features, a 9 o’clock crown.

https://thewatchbloke.co.uk/2016/05/24/ ... #more-5214

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
gerdson
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Thermidor chronograph calibre 12

Post by gerdson » May 1st 2020, 3:41am

Thanks for posting. When ever I see Caliber 11, 12 or 15 I come to think I understand why they never were such a real big success anyways. Apart from the microrotor (which is hidden underneath the chronograph module), giving it a slightly less efficient automatic wind characteristics, and the rather unpractical left hand crown position: This is the most fuck-ugly one, with the least elegant design of all automatic chronograph I know. And that actually counts in the 7750 family.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Return to “Vintage Watches”