Darlor Vintage Watches

Have a love for a bygone era? Discuss you vintage loves here!
koimaster
Founder

Darlor Vintage Watches

Post by koimaster » April 23rd 2020, 10:25am

Vintage wristwatches and pocket watches for sale, from Bulova to Rolex, specializing in Omega.
Every timepiece is fully restored by our certified watchmaker, with original watch parts, and comes with a guarantee.
See the great Vintage Watches we have on this page, and all 70 of our Web pages !

http://www.darlor-watch.com/index.html

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Datsun240Z71
Founding Member - WIS

Re: Darlor Vintage Watches

Post by Datsun240Z71 » April 23rd 2020, 12:09pm

Seems I had an experience with them years ago. Don't remember all the details, but it was not good. Guy's name was Darryll (sp?) and it involved a repair on a vintage Omega that was my mother's that never got done. A lot of back and forth and unkept promises and deadlines. His being in Canada created long shipping and delivery times and communication was not great.

viewtopic.php?f=154&t=16801&hilit=Darlor

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=25420&hilit=Darlor
Randy in Nashville
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » April 23rd 2020, 2:14pm

Some of the watches he's selling don't look legit to me. The IWC "Dirty Dozen" in his offer, doesn't appear to actually be a Dirty Dozen (WWW). Given that it's a sweep second, that'd be a 6B/346 Mark XI. The problem is that the case back is all wrong - void of any issue markings, the shape is also incorrect. For that matter, the whole case is incorrect...

The dial which he claims to be factory original is a redial - a genuine Mark XI (6B/346) should have the 5-minute markers just a tiny bit wider than the rest. The hour marker at 12 should be a lumed triangle (with a lumed rectangle above it) instead of an Arabic 12 and the rectangular marker on the track.

In my considered opinion, it's a fake. Sure, it used to be a legit civilian IWC at some point, but not anymore.

Legit specimen in Dan Henry's collection at timeline.watch:
https://www.timeline.watch/watch/1948-i ... ref-6b346/

This "extra clean" dial on the Girard-Perregaux wrist alarm...

...is a bad redial.

Same goes for this Omega with a "factory original" dial.

No shit, Sherlock. Doesn't take a fucking sixth sense to see that this font is absolutely fucking tragic.

Another old redial:

Wonky, comical Omega logo, shitty imitation of pre-1937/1938 Omega font in italics. Seller's claim - "factory original." Yeahhhh, right.

Oh, look, some chimpanzee restored this dial...
...but the seller's claim is:
"The dial is original with patina changes and never touched nor altered."
What a load of bollocks. The font looks "handmade" with a ballpoint pen...

This shitty redial...
...also is not described as a redial in the product description. In fact, the description doesn't mention the dial at all.

Another POS redial:
...and the fact that it's a redial has not been disclosed.

Great Scott...
...I may vomit.

This, meanwhile, is the One Redial To Rule Them All among the redials in his offer:
Jeebus, fuck, please don't tell me that I'm seeing what I'm seeing... Makes my eyes fucking hurt.

Rolex 6332 Bubbleback:
The "Oyster Perpetual" font looks incorrect and wonky, positioned too far below the applied Rolex text.

Another fuck-awful redial...
...and hell knows if the Air-Tiger name on the dial is actually correct, because the 4365 has also been an Air-King and Air-Giant reference.

Redial...
...the font is really dreadful.

Another one:
The horror...horror...horror...

Rolex Bombaychester:
OK, maybe it's not Hindoo, but just about as inaccurately redone as Bombay Specials.

But hey, look at what sort of shit this fellow keeps calling a "factory original dial!"

Oh, hell, no...
Need I say that Tudor never used a font like that? This is just pure, undiluted creative diarrhoea of an amateur dial restorer.

Fuck. Can't look at more of this dreadful fucking shit, I may fucking vomit.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » April 23rd 2020, 3:21pm

conjurer wrote:
April 23rd 2020, 2:25pm
So, I take it, Mr. Bloke, that you're not going to send this guy any of your hard-earned darlors?
Correct.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » April 23rd 2020, 3:37pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
April 23rd 2020, 3:21pm
conjurer wrote:
April 23rd 2020, 2:25pm
So, I take it, Mr. Bloke, that you're not going to send this guy any of your hard-earned darlors?
Correct.
You know I'm gonna use the "darlor" gag until I get a LOL.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye

Return to “Vintage Watches”