A great site for Vintage watch lovers

Have a love for a bygone era? Discuss you vintage loves here!
tomsimac
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: A great site for Vintage watch lovers

Post by tomsimac » November 27th 2011, 5:21pm

Thanks for the info
Made me feel a lot better about acquiring the vintage watch as most on other forums seem to deride them as near worthless. I have seen a few really nice ones come up. Would like to,find out what it costs to make a vintage look mint again.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » November 27th 2011, 5:29pm

tomsimac wrote:Thanks for the info
Made me feel a lot better about acquiring the vintage watch as most on other forums seem to deride them as near worthless. I have seen a few really nice ones come up. Would like to,find out what it costs to make a vintage look mint again.

Vintage can be a lot of fun, tom, but it can be a costly hobby as well. From the very scant experience I've had with them, restoring can run into some serious money, and unfortunately, it doesn't necessarily mean much on the back end if you decide to sell. I've only found it worthwhile once so far, and that involved the restoration and service on a family piece, of course more for sentimental value than actual price.

Of course, if you're dealing with premium stuff like Rollies or Pateks or something, that's a different matter.
wire-paladin
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 100007047102962

Post by wire-paladin » December 7th 2011, 12:34am

i used to collect U.S. made pocket watches. had a nice k-w rockford,choice exept for some brassing.
after having it replated(ygold)i sold it but the buyer bitched and cried about how i shoulda left it in original condition. i could have saved serious$.
so much for "mint like"!
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Kahuna74 » December 7th 2011, 3:01am

I love the old watches. With that said, about half of my collection is old watches, some have been restored, and some have not needed anything more than to be serviced. If they could only talk? And yes, I have put some money into having one, or two of them restored, guess its just what the watch means to you. I don't ever think about it. Will I get my money back? Not what I care about. I do it for the pure love of the watch. Conjurer, that one that you had restored is in my mind, a work of art, and a beautiful watch to say the least. Image
Last edited by Kahuna74 on December 18th 2014, 8:42am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Vintage Watches”