1950s Lord Elgin Direct Reading/Jump Hour

Have a love for a bygone era? Discuss you vintage loves here!
rallycat

Re: 1950s Lord Elgin Direct Reading/Jump Hour

Post by rallycat » March 30th 2013, 2:20am

ChronoMATT wrote:You are correct that finding an original Witt Electric in decent shape is a tough task. Below is my personal example complete with original signed bracelet.

rallycat wrote:Wittnauer Electrics with the lighting bold hands on black dial have been calling my name. Not seeing any clean examples at the moment though.

Curious to know how accurate your Wittnauer is. One thing about my old Connie that I love is the fact that at 45 years old it's keeping time as well my modern watches.
ChronoMATT
Master of Time

Post by ChronoMATT » March 30th 2013, 12:44pm

It has been a well running model in the past, but I haven't worn it out of storage or timed it for a while. I always remove batteries out of any Electric and Electronic examples when not in use. Nothing worse than finding a battery has leaked and damaged the movement. I'll have to pop one in and check it out soon.

Traditionally, Electric movements (Electo-mechanical), a la the Wittnauer and early Hamilton Electrics, can lose a couple minutes a day. Next generation Electronic movements (those with transistors) can be much more accurate and reliable.

rallycat wrote:
ChronoMATT wrote:You are correct that finding an original Witt Electric in decent shape is a tough task. Below is my personal example complete with original signed bracelet.

[url=http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=576&u=16589468]Image
rallycat wrote:llycat"]Wittnauer Electrics with the lighting bold hands on black dial have been calling my name. Not seeing any clean examples at the moment though.

Curious to know how accurate your Wittnauer is. One thing about my old Connie that I love is the fact that at 45 years old it's keeping time as well my modern watches.
Last edited by Anonymous on March 30th 2013, 4:55pm, edited 2 times in total.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » February 22nd 2014, 12:38am

jimp hour abuse.png
I just thought I would bump this up. Some head case reported this as bad at the old forum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » June 2nd 2021, 8:12am

gaetan wrote:
June 2nd 2021, 6:08am
Hello,
I would like to know the name of the designer who created the 1950s lord Elgin direct reading.
Than you for your help, I didnt find anything about it.

Gaetan
French watch collector
As far as I know the watch was a collective design effort. In the late 1950′s, the Elgin Watch Company was not selling as many watches as they had in the past. Their solution was to design some innovative watches. This is one of them. The Lord Elgin Chevron design from 1957 is a direct read watch, also called a jump hour watch.

Instead of hands, the hours and minutes are displayed in a small window, and every sixty minutes the hour marker "jumps" to the next number. The "Lord" in Lord Elgin refers to the model being from Elgin's premium product line. Most Lords were equipped with higher-end, higher-21 jeweled movements and gold filled cases.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » June 2nd 2021, 4:04pm

gaetan wrote:
June 2nd 2021, 6:08am
Hello,
I would like to know the name of the designer who created the 1950s lord Elgin direct reading.
Than you for your help, I didnt find anything about it.

Gaetan
French watch collector
Pretty sure it was Granny Lalo. In her unauthorised biography, Laying Low with Salty Russian Seamen, is is stated that she was inspired by the way Russian sailors would "jump to attention for hours on end" when she entered the room.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks

Return to “Vintage Watches”