CLASSIC wristwatches have been linked to cancer due to th

Have a love for a bygone era? Discuss you vintage loves here!
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

CLASSIC wristwatches have been linked to cancer due to th

Post by koimaster » November 16th 2019, 3:46pm

Got a classic wristwatch? It’s probably slowly killing you say researchers (Image: GETTY)
Watches worn by British soldiers during World War 2 gave off heavy doses of radon gas, scientists have discovered.

The time pieces, of which many have been handed though the generations as family heirlooms, give off the cancer-inducing gas due to their dials which are glow in the dark.

The technique to use the radon-based paint to give the handles on the watches a luminescent glow in the dark was commonly used by watchmakers in the 1920s through to the 1960s, but became part of military uniform during the Second World War.

Experts from the University of Northampton and Kingston University state that radon exposure is one of the leading causes of lung cancer.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/ ... don-cancer

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: CLASSIC wristwatches have been linked to cancer due to th

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » November 16th 2019, 4:42pm

Aaaarggghhh, by Jove. The Daily Express. Got a friend (so, a source inside) there - and I know a thing or two about how does that boulevard rag (and its website) work. Suppose we're all better off ignoring them.

Not opening a radium-lumed watch in a non-ventilated, closed space is an obvious precaution.

Opening the windows from time to time is even more obvious. Problem - solved.

Fuck off, Daily Express.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » November 16th 2019, 5:27pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
November 16th 2019, 4:42pm
Aaaarggghhh, by Jove. The Daily Express. Got a friend (so, a source inside) there - and I know a thing or two about how does that boulevard rag (and its website) work. Suppose we're all better off ignoring them.

Not opening a radium-lumed watch in a non-ventilated, closed space is an obvious precaution.

Opening the windows from time to time is even more obvious. Problem - solved.

Fuck off, Daily Express.
As a service to the hobby, all Radon and radioactive vintage watches may be sent to me for safe handling.
"Never insult anyone by accident."-Robert A. Heinlein

https://imgur.com/h3UXafB
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Racer-X » November 16th 2019, 11:07pm

Reminds of part of the article posted here where all the Rolex collectors gathered.
viewtopic.php?p=470392#p470392

One guy had a Geiger counter showing his solid gold Rolex pegging the meter at 99.9 where a single chest x-ray is 0.1.
Rolex owner Mike Bindra said that watches in the '50s were made with the radioactive element radium to give the glow-in-the-dark effect on the bezel and face.

Rolliefest guest Mike Bindra uses a Geiger counter device to read the radioactive emissions from his vintage Rolex.
In his watch toolkit, Bindra carries a Geiger counter. As he placed the device over the 18-karat gold watch, it immediately detected radioactive emissions, and spikes to 99.9 microsieverts. It's the maximum reading the tiny machine can handle.

"This is as high as it goes. Can't go any higher. That thing's pretty radioactive," Bindra said. "I don't wear it for long periods of time."

For comparison, according to Harvard Medical School, a single chest X-ray exposes a person to about 0.1 mSv.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » November 16th 2019, 11:41pm

All this outgassing bullshit reminds me of the geeks trying to explain Invicter Pro Divers fogged crystals--i.e. outgassing from defective plastic movement holders.
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » November 17th 2019, 12:05am

Racer-X wrote:
November 16th 2019, 11:07pm
Reminds of part of the article posted here where all the Rolex collectors gathered.

One guy had a Geiger counter showing his solid gold Rolex pegging the meter at 99.9 where a single chest x-ray is 0.1.
Rolex owner Mike Bindra said that watches in the '50s were made with the radioactive element radium to give the glow-in-the-dark effect on the bezel and face.

Rolliefest guest Mike Bindra uses a Geiger counter device to read the radioactive emissions from his vintage Rolex.
In his watch toolkit, Bindra carries a Geiger counter. As he placed the device over the 18-karat gold watch, it immediately detected radioactive emissions, and spikes to 99.9 microsieverts. It's the maximum reading the tiny machine can handle.

"This is as high as it goes. Can't go any higher. That thing's pretty radioactive," Bindra said. "I don't wear it for long periods of time."

For comparison, according to Harvard Medical School, a single chest X-ray exposes a person to about 0.1 mSv.
Hey Hawk- that's like what, man, 10 times as much?

"I don't wear it very much" the guy says. Well, I can certainly see that this is a guy who made enough to spend silly money on collectible Rolexes because he is smart. You could radiate a melanoma with that fucking thing for god's sake.
Copyright ©️ 2019 3flushes Media.

The past is never dead. It isn't even past.- Faulkner
bbattle

Post by bbattle » November 17th 2019, 6:41am

Racer-X wrote:

99.9 uSv ~ o.1mSv . 1000 microSieverts equals 1 milliSeviert. But the back of the watch is solid steel so your wrist is not getting a chest x-ray every second you wear the watch.

"One study by the Public Health Service many years ago found that a person who wears a radium watch for 24 hours a day over the course of a year could conceivably be exposed to 65 to 130 millirems of radiation.

By way of comparison, the average person is exposed to about 300 millirems of background radiation in a typical year, and a single chest X-ray exposes a patient to about 5 to 10 millirems of radiation.

That means a person who owns a radium watch (and presumably isn't wearing it 24 hours a day), has little to worry about, said Dr. M. Donald Blaufox, the chairman of the department of nuclear medicine at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the Bronx. A radium watch becomes hazardous only when someone opens one and tinkers with the dials, inhaling radioactive dust particles.

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/11/health/11real.html
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » November 17th 2019, 2:17pm

bbattle wrote:
November 17th 2019, 6:41am
Racer-X wrote:

99.9 uSv ~ o.1mSv . 1000 microSieverts equals 1 milliSeviert. But the back of the watch is solid steel so your wrist is not getting a chest x-ray every second you wear the watch.
And that's not to mention that apparently the guy took the reading by placing the Geiger just above the crystal. At least that's what it looks like in the article.
If put against the case back, a Geiger counter will barely register anything. That's mostly because cases tend to screen that radiation rather well. Would take wearing a watch with the dial side against the wrist for that radiation to have any noticeable effect.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » November 17th 2019, 8:44pm

my Mamma used My pappi's His rollecks cristal As a diagramme too Avoyd prangnancy. she Sayd she Haid a womb With a veew.

Than i Was borned. din;t Knott hirt Me two much GODAM it.
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@

Return to “Vintage Watches”