The GV2 came in, meh.

svaglic
Master of Time

The GV2 came in, meh.

Post by svaglic » January 14th 2023, 8:33am

It was a long wait from touch of modern, I wasn’t aware that there were bulk orders there and once the sale was over, they send their order to the manufacturer, they fulfill the order, send it to touch of modern who packs them up and mails them out. ToM sent me an email that my package was in the mail, after I received the package, so I had no clue what was going on, the last I knew they received the order from the manufacturer and were packing them up. I live in a real safe neighborhood though, so packages can be left forever on my porch.

I was so excited to get this, I just knew it was going to be great. I was a little concerned about The 40mm in this case shape, but I figured it would work. I have been looking at this style in GV2 for a while, just waiting on a dial that wouldn’t let me say no. I figured the quality would be good because it GV2 is to Gevril what Seiko 5 is to Seiko.

The box it came in was large, it only needed about 1/4 to 1/3 of the actual box it came in.
A133BD6A-E43E-45D1-9267-37B76CA76E43.jpeg
I opened it and liked the color, it has a textured dial, but it’s hard to see unless it is up to your nose. I saw the description said textured dial, but thought it was a mistake until I took a close up with the camera.
It looks a lot bigger than 40mm, I noticed that right away.
0ABB95E7-FD69-48E2-B6FD-D8B694E2BFB1.jpeg
When I picked it up, I was very surprised to see how heavy this is. Man, it is one of the heaviest, if not the heaviest, watches I own. Way too heavy for a watch, IMO. The bracelet has a lot of weight, but the watch itself is heavy too. I thought I’d get one of my ladder bracelets to put on it to reduce weight…..not so fast. It is their own design and I don’t think I will be able to swap it out for anything except perhaps a custom leather band.
Nice looking bracelet, but the links don’t flow and blend with the wrist, some are stiff and are difficult to move in line. Also, there are no half links. With a clasp like this I think half links are a must, especially with a bracelet that can’t be changed out to another one. Poor planning, and this version of the Potente came out after several others from years ago. They should have caught this and made half links or allow for a bracelet swap, but they didn’t care enough to do it. It is solid and I don’t think it will ever break on you, but it is tough to get the links to move around the wrist and impossible for me to get a good fit. I had to remove six links, so it is a generous bracelet. They are friction pin links.
38DC1B33-8708-41B0-9D9F-6463905B984B.jpeg
See the pins near the lug? I don’t know if they are friction or not. It would be my luck to remove them and not have them be what I thought them to be and not be able to get the bracelet back on. The, what looks like a lug, is solid and part of the watch case, no way it’s getting removed.
C655828A-2FF0-441A-8C2E-2DAA859983CC.jpeg
Damn, I already got a piece of fuz on it for the picture. See that big outie lug coming down? It seems to be part of the case, I can’t find a way to remove it, there is no pin and it’s solid. The pin is on the link coming off that huge outie link. From the pin down the links move and fold around the wrist, that huge outie link doesn’t budge though.
402DE55B-8E91-4720-95CC-CFA4EF5FF1F6.jpeg
No idea what movement it is, no one seems to say on Google and I’m not seeing any reviews on this.
It’s a Swiss Automatic, that’s what every Google post agrees on.
Oh yeah, it’s a limited edition.
It’s 316L steel, so it’s rust resistant.
Looks like a spring bar, but I’m not sure. I can only see it at one angle and it’s not a good angle to be putting a tool in to try to remove it. Just holding the watch like it is held when the spring bar is removed, it doesn’t seem to show itself. I need to go to a jeweler and see what he has to say.
6BD78F0E-1469-47DE-869D-FC6059AA2780.jpeg
A signed crown, I’m sorry, but I kind of expect that these days.
78E6EF44-E713-4ED7-ADA2-ABC1D51CCF82.jpeg

The slight texture on the dial.
38F28C1A-F079-4BFE-8C93-E18B214B32C5.jpeg
I wore it for a few hours and although heavy in hand, it doesn’t seem uncomfortable on the wrist. I don’t like the bulky bracelet though, I need to find a solution. I’m going to keep trying to work out the bracelet issue because I really want to like this watch. The color is nice. I hope there is a bracelet solution and I’m just missing something. My eyes aren’t great in my old age, so I would be happy to find out I’m wrong on the bracelet.
0AB88AA6-7CAC-4834-8746-3BA856DB9DA2.jpeg
B216BB09-5DA3-4F2D-B2D9-3AE80D9D786C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In memory of TB/Phfluff, since he isn’t here to continue to give his praise, I will share it for him.
Racer-X (Online)
Administrator

Re: The GV2 came in, meh.

Post by Racer-X » January 14th 2023, 8:57am

That sure looks like a spring bar. It's even bending a bit at the extension. Can't imagine that's not removable.

Movement MD3G is mentioned on the Gevril site. Appears to be a Ruben & Sons Caliber MD3G (Miyota 8215 base). Cool watch.
https://www.gevril.com/products/18109b
https://calibercorner.com/ruben-and-sons-caliber-md3g/
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » January 14th 2023, 11:23am

Love the dial color! I always wanted a fancy road bicycle in that color.

<useless trivia alert>

Italian bicycle maker Bianchi painted a bicycle for the Italian queen Margherita in a beautiful blue-green color; supposedly the color of her eyes.

The color was an instant hit, and Bianchi began painting most of their bicycles in the color.

Or, Bianchi got a hold of a ton of military surplus paint, called it the fancy name "Celeste", and sold a lot of bicycles that thankfully weren't black.

https://www.bianchi.com/celeste/
abduksion

Post by abduksion » January 15th 2023, 11:37am

This is my Pagani Design UGS “Nautilus” not a bad watch.
Hand-winds
Hacks
Sapphire crystal
Screwed down signed crown
100m
ST-16 automatic
Lume hands & Markers
38.55mm
11.9mm thick

image.jpg
Don’t mean to hijack you’re thread but check these out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
svaglic
Master of Time

Post by svaglic » January 15th 2023, 11:55am

abduksion wrote:
January 15th 2023, 11:37am
Hand-winds
Hacks
Sapphire crystal
100m
ST-16 automatic
Lume hands & Markers
38.55mm
11.9mm thick

Imageimage.jpg

That’s not a thread hijack, it’s a comparison watch and that’s fine in my book. I did look at the Pagani, but for the cost I went ahead and got a Gevril because it’s a well known brand. Even though they put their spin on a Miyota movement and call it Swiss now, I still would have got it knowing that. I think for 400, the GV2 was the way to go.

I actually got a different bracelet on it, it doesn’t look great, but it’s more comfortable. I’ll have to look for a better bracelet now. Now that I know it can be done, I’ll figure it out.
In memory of TB/Phfluff, since he isn’t here to continue to give his praise, I will share it for him.
abduksion

Post by abduksion » January 15th 2023, 12:06pm

svaglic wrote:
January 15th 2023, 11:55am
abduksion wrote:
January 15th 2023, 11:37am
Hand-winds
Hacks
Sapphire crystal
100m
ST-16 automatic
Lume hands & Markers
38.55mm
11.9mm thick

Imageimage.jpg

That’s not a thread hijack, it’s a comparison watch and that’s fine in my book. I did look at the Pagani, but for the cost I went ahead and got a Gevril because it’s a well known brand. Even though they put their spin on a Miyota movement and call it Swiss now, I still would have got it knowing that. I think for 400, the GV2 was the way to go.

I actually got a different bracelet on it, it doesn’t look great, but it’s more comfortable. I’ll have to look for a better bracelet now. Now that I know it can be done, I’ll figure it out.
Oh no problem I felt like I was hijacking it.
I’ve also looked at that GV2 but in the yellow dial.
svaglic
Master of Time

Post by svaglic » January 15th 2023, 12:18pm

I need a better bracelet, but for now this wears a lot lighter.
369EDAB1-7CCC-4925-9F57-8F9EC7D07473.jpeg
svaglic
Master of Time

Post by svaglic » January 16th 2023, 4:25pm

Just got an email from ToM saying it’s been delivered.
For future reference I’ll know not to look for any mailing updates.
Anyone else here order from ToM and have this issue with mail updates?

Return to “Your New Watch”