Baltany... WTH?

nimbleboy
Senior Member & WIS

Baltany... WTH?

Post by nimbleboy » December 30th 2022, 10:30pm

Yeah, OK, look. I showed up on Watchlords on 12/12/12, which I've always kind of thought was cool, despite being morally and intellectually opposed to numerology. I mentioned having just watched Marathon Man and was assigned my avatar accordingly (does someone still do that?). Anyway, I'm mostly pretty quiet here, but I definitely appreciate all of you bastards (despite everything you've been taught, and because you're old like me, feel free to read that as gender-neutral, please and thank you).

I showed up in this peculiar corner of the internets after tiring of my daily watch- a perfectly functional, perfectly attractive, and completely operational Citizen. Pretty women told me they liked it and I'd paid three times the most expensive watch I'd ever purchased for it... but I was bored.

I googled "is invicta a good watch" or some similar query... and well, here I am, hanging around after all these years.

My "best" watch is a Nomos Tangomat, which is a great watch... but ultimately, though it's my priciest watch, it's not my favorite watch. I wish I wanted to wear it more often. As you all know, one can find great value in every segment. (I drive an old Volvo, power my record player with a 20-yr-old NAD receiver, consider my best watch a Hamilton, etc.).

Anyway, I resisted Jody's (Just One More Watch) considerable charms for a long time. I'd learned about the evils of Chinese watch brands right here at WL, and I was suspicious of his love of AliExpress watches. But cotdam if I didn't get sucked into his charm, throw caution to the wind, and send China some money a couple of months ago when I watched his vid for this watch for the second? third? time.

As you may or may not know, the world needs drivers- all kinds. Thanks (no thanks, tbh) to Covid, I got a nice chunk of cash to be who I am (city bus operator/instructor) and I gave a leeeetle bit of that $$$ to people selling watches. I bought a goofy-ass retro Casio digital from TicTacArea (?) and a what-the-hell thing called Baltany on AliExpress, as introduced to me by Jody at Just One More Watch. The Baltany showed up yesterday. What kind of name is that??? It seems just real-but-stupid enough to be a bullshit Chinese AI-word invention.

Turns out, I guess I don't care after I wore this watch all day. There's a pic below showing this one in action. One thing I do is administer commercial driver's license tests. I need a timer for the backing portions. Yeeeeaaaahhh. (I can use this watch for that.)

As soon as I got it, I replaced the crappy and stiff NATO-style strap with a piece of rubber that ***a former very active member *** sent me. It's the strap on the pics and it works pretty well, but I think I like this watch well enough that I might purchase a nice thin chunk of leather for it.

I've had a long week, and I understand my writing is a bit rough... sorry 'bout that! Cheers anyway!
CJ in Minneapolis, MN, United States

Is it safe?
conjurer (Online)
Owner

Re: Baltany... WTH?

Post by conjurer » December 30th 2022, 11:33pm

Christian Szell: Thus far, I find you rather detestable. May I say that without hurting your feelings?

Janeway: Praise from Caesar. I'm just doing my job. I believe in my country.

Christian Szell: So did we all.

Interestingly, I recall your joining up like it was only yesterday, and your reference to Marathon Man. There are few better literary allusions in This Thing of Ours than that.

Nice watch!
Anonymous-3027

Re: Baltany... WTH?

Post by Anonymous-3027 » December 31st 2022, 11:08am

Nice looking chrono

This one is pretty slick as well

B087CFC2-1B81-41E1-9813-9B1DAF8A0472.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Your New Watch”