Like I Needed Another GMT...

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Like I Needed Another GMT...

Post by conjurer » August 16th 2022, 3:27pm

This came in yesterday, the new Seiko 5er GMT. It's the first Seiko I've bought in, well, a long time. Interestingly, there's nothing wrong with it out of the box. Everything lines up, the GMT hand seems adjusted right, and there's no smegma under the crystal that I can immediately see. It wears just like an SKX, has solid endlinks, and the jubilee bracelet is much better. On the other hand, the crown isn't screw-down. The lume's nuclear, too.

Cheers!
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Like I Needed Another GMT...

Post by Nuvolari » August 16th 2022, 5:01pm

Needs more GMTs. And cowbell.

Fricken nice, Conj. The newer Seikos seem to be very well built and that one is particularly sharp.

Orange you glad it has a ceramic bezel? At least it looks ceramicsized - though a Rabbi would know for sure.
Last edited by Nuvolari on August 16th 2022, 7:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
”Russian Warship - Go Fuck Yourself!”

smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by smellody » August 16th 2022, 5:08pm

Nuvolari wrote:
August 16th 2022, 5:01pm

Fricken nice, Conj. The newer Seikos seem to be very well built and that one is particularly sharp.

Orange you glad it has a ceramic bezel? It least it looks ceramicsized - though a Rabbi would know for sure.
Hee hee hee hee hee 😜
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » August 16th 2022, 5:35pm

smellody wrote:
August 16th 2022, 5:08pm
Nuvolari wrote:
August 16th 2022, 5:01pm

Orange you glad it has a ceramic bezel? At least it looks ceramicsized - though a Rabbi would know for sure.
Hee hee hee hee hee 😜
”Russian Warship - Go Fuck Yourself!”

jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » August 16th 2022, 6:00pm

That's pretty cool. Orange dial looks great with the black circumcised bezel. And great to see that Seiko has drawn upon their vast global industrial design expertise and production engineering technology to develop a solid endlink bracelet for the SKX case! Outstanding!!!
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » August 17th 2022, 1:41pm

Thanks all. @ Slavie: These came out a few weeks ago after Seiko teased 'em at the end of spring. I've always been a fan of the SKX case, but this was the first 5er that I actually wanted.

@Nouvie: Interestingly, the bezel's (I've read) is actually covered with a Hardlex glass, which makes up the crystal as well.

The fit's comfy, and it took about three minutes to size the bracelet (like the old SKX, Seiko uses push-pins.) Timekeeping so far isn't inspiring, but these cheap Seiko movements tend to take a few days (or longer) to run in.
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » August 18th 2022, 5:17pm

Push-in crown is an advantage for anybody who swaps between watches IMO. But of a hassle having to unscrew and screw the crown every time you set it, especially on a GMT if travelling. And no risk of cross threading a crown stem.

Not like 100m is inadequate for any of us but I read that screw down crown doesn't increase water resistance, it makes the crown stronger. I don't know if this is true. It would be great if some enterprising chap - or Lady - would do a pressure test on one of these.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » August 18th 2022, 10:31pm

jason_recliner wrote:
August 18th 2022, 5:17pm
Push-in crown is an advantage for anybody who swaps between watches IMO. But of a hassle having to unscrew and screw the crown every time you set it, especially on a GMT if travelling. And no risk of cross threading a crown stem.

Not like 100m is inadequate for any of us but I read that screw down crown doesn't increase water resistance, it makes the crown stronger. I don't know if this is true. It would be great if some enterprising chap - or Lady - would do a pressure test on one of these.
The movement (with the push-pull crown) winds very nicely--better, for instance, than my Tudor Royal, with its modified Sellita movement. Also, the old SKX's screwdown crown was very gritty, as Toby says above, it made one worry about cross threading the fucking thing. Timekeeping was also much improved, with just a couple of seconds a day fascist (inside joke!).

If this watch holds up with the timekeeping and ergonomics, it's really a step forward; I know of no other GMT movement out there that's regularly available for under a grand. Orient uses one from time to time, but it's very few and far between. The only "cheap" Swiss movement around is the modified ETA 2836, which loses the day-of-the-week function and picks up the GMT hand; this was used often by Bernhardt for the old Globemasters, as well as numerous Chinese knockoffs because of the 2836's 4kz beat.
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » August 19th 2022, 1:17am

conjurer wrote:
August 18th 2022, 10:31pm
jason_recliner wrote:
August 18th 2022, 5:17pm

The movement (with the push-pull crown) winds very nicely--better, for instance, than my Tudor Royal, with its modified Sellita movement. Also, the old SKX's screwdown crown was very gritty, as Toby says above, it made one worry about cross threading the fucking thing. Timekeeping was also much improved, with just a couple of seconds a day fascist (inside joke!).

If this watch holds up with the timekeeping and ergonomics, it's really a step forward; I know of no other GMT movement out there that's regularly available for under a grand. Orient uses one from time to time, but it's very few and far between. The only "cheap" Swiss movement around is the modified ETA 2836, which loses the day-of-the-week function and picks up the GMT hand; this was used often by Bernhardt for the old Globemasters, as well as numerous Chinese knockoffs because of the 2836's 4kz beat.
A screw down crown has nothing to do with WR. The efficacy of a piston style seal is determined by the goodness of fit, the tolerances, that is, of the stem and tube and the quality of the gasket material. A piston seal benefits not at all from mechanical compression. A screw down crown merely prevents the crown from inadvertently being pulled out in the water — tugged by a wetsuit, snagged on a coral, or whatnot.

Excellent tolerances and multiple seals using high quality gaskets — IIRC Rolex and Omega use three — is the best insurance against leakage.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2022 3flushes Media.^^^
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by Mark1 » August 19th 2022, 11:08am

Nice one John, like the bezel insert and the gold handset, congrats. I'm certain you'll be using on all your diving expeditions. One wonders though, will the black bezel appear orange at depth?
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.

Return to “Your New Watch”