Spinnaker Dumas

SynMike
Founding Member
Facebook ID: 0

Spinnaker Dumas

Post by SynMike » May 12th 2022, 10:21am

Here is a recent addition, a Spinnaker Dumas, which I bought used. It is not a watch I would have specifically sought out for myself. It came as a trade in at my friend's store where I used to work. It didn't resell quickly enough so I got it cheap.

Perhaps this color and size (44mm x15mm) make it a bit garish, but I'm okay with it. The hexagon shape is not really to my liking but that tends to mostly disappear when I put it on. Some might not like the no-lugs design. The indices extend off a chapter ring and stand quite high off the dial. It really has a deeper 3d appearance than most and I quite like that. I like the hands.

Seiko NH35 movement is visible though the back window. Good. Nothing exciting but far better than a no-name that can't be repaired or replaced. It's a hacking movement and can be hand wound. Spinnaker put their own rotor on it.

The original shark mesh bracelet seems great - that is, until you actually try to wear it. It might work for someone with the exact wrist size. But on me it has a huge overhang and the holder is absolutely useless (sorry, I didn't get a picture of that). Unwearable. So I immediately changed it out for a generic shark mesh (ebay $12) I had on another watch.

Build quality is decent enough. Sapphire crystal but the bezel is cheaper glass of some kind. Spinnaker sells these direct at $250. Compare to a Seiko Samurai, also a chunky watch with similar build quality and same movement, then add sapphire crystal. Yeh, so it and it basically feels like an acceptable value - apart from the useless bracelet. I would not have bought it without a plan to replace that. But as an owner and with the new bracelet, I give it a rating of "2 notches above meh".

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes.
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Spinnaker Dumas

Post by MAX » May 12th 2022, 10:45am

Got the shade of yellow right, yellow and orange have to be BRIGHT. Ive had good luck with NH35s but John didn't get a boner so I guess Ill pass too.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
DoctorIvey
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Spinnaker Dumas

Post by DoctorIvey » May 12th 2022, 4:01pm

I have generally favorable feelings about this brands offerings, but why oh why would you name a watch dumbass? Is there some Jean Valjean reference here? I don’t get it. Does Marty Frankel have a hand in this? (Yes, I mean Marc, most of you are probably unaware of the stunning exploits of Marty Frankel, who made the entire slop crew seem like The Sunshine Boys by comparison,)

Return to “Your New Watch”