Founder

Friends with my monsters

Post by koimaster » April 7th 2022, 11:17pm

I'm friends with the monsters that's under my bed
Get along with the voices inside of my head
You're tryin' to save me, stop holdin' your breath
And you think I'm crazy, yeah, you think I'm crazy

For being a WIS

Recently we had a thread here and the seiko monsters topic came up. I sold my gen1 black dial version back in 2004 or so. John (jas1125) mentioned in the thread he still a couple and generously offered to part with one. John then offered me his second one and here they are.

Carl had commented that they may be the worst dive watch ever made. Could be but my diving days are done. The pulmonary embolisms (3 large blood clots in my lungs while in the hospital in 2014) caused some permanent damage.

Thank you John

Image Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
boscoe
ASSHAT

Re: Friends with my monsters

Post by boscoe » April 27th 2022, 11:55am

Think every collector has had a Monster. Recall blue dials were fetching huge cash at one time.
I sold my Orange monster around 2005. Remember detesting the bracelet and the size, which is now considered almost normal. Also, these days I love rattlly old Rolex bracelets. Go figure.
Watch has/had some of the best lume I've ever come across.
Enjoy it.
Classic, like you...
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » April 27th 2022, 12:38pm

The BASM was one of the very few inexpensive watches that you could almost always get your money back on the flip. Back when I was coming up, everybody either had one or wanted one.

IIRC, Mike from the old BDWF had the blue dial BASM, was offered a grand for it by Jawbone, and Mike told him to eat shit.
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » April 27th 2022, 4:43pm

conjurer wrote:
April 27th 2022, 12:38pm
The BASM was one of the very few inexpensive watches that you could almost always get your money back on the flip. Back when I was coming up, everybody either had one or wanted one.

IIRC, Mike from the old BDWF had the blue dial BASM, was offered a grand for it by Jawbone, and Mike told him to eat shit.
I don't think the blue would be as visible at depth as the superior orange dial.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by smellody » April 27th 2022, 5:35pm

jason_recliner wrote:
April 27th 2022, 4:43pm
conjurer wrote:
April 27th 2022, 12:38pm

I don't think the blue would be as visible at depth as the superior orange dial.
Facts!
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Post by Nuvolari » April 30th 2022, 9:39am

Have always been a fan of the badass Seiko Monster diver’s watch for swimming and wadding, and even mod’d a few when they were more common and less expensive. I retroactively became less of a fan of the first Gen once the 4R36 (I think) superseded the non-hack/non-hand wind 7S23 movement, which I found to be ‘accurate’ to within 5 minutes a day… which is pretty damn bad, even for the remedial class.

And the bracelet! The whole thing is a nice bit of kit, if you can find one that isn’t offensively priced.
”Russian Warship - Go Fuck Yourself!”

koimaster (Online)
Founder

Post by koimaster » May 2nd 2022, 3:35pm

Nuvolari wrote:
April 30th 2022, 9:39am
Have always been a fan of the badass Seiko Monster diver’s watch for swimming and wadding, and even mod’d a few when they were more common and less expensive. I retroactively became less of a fan of the first Gen once the 4R36 (I think) superseded the non-hack/non-hand wind 7S23 movement, which I found to be ‘accurate’ to within 5 minutes a day… which is pretty damn bad, even for the remedial class.

And the bracelet! The whole thing is a nice bit of kit, if you can find one that isn’t offensively priced.
Not a fan of the original bracelets so I swapped one out today. John generously added one to the purchase.

Unfortunate that orange & Black represent a rodent here in Oregon.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."

Return to “Your New Watch”