Gnu Zowdiack

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Gnu Zowdiack

Post by conjurer » March 8th 2022, 12:42am

jason_recliner wrote:
March 7th 2022, 11:23pm
That's really cool. Sapphire bezel? 2893/SW300 inside? Love the green GMT hand.
Actually, sapphire top glass, with a mineral crystal bezel. The movement is a Soprod C125, which is pretty much the same as the 2893/SW 330.

A very handsome watch, but there are some real issues, which I will go into tomorrow.
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by MAX » March 8th 2022, 5:15am

Tried as much as I did to like it but it seems something is off. Reminds me of a childs toy.

Looks like something your new avatar would wear.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by Mark1 » March 8th 2022, 1:07pm

Nice sized. I was wild ass guessing larger case due to the crystal over the bezel. Interesting movement, how about a caseback shot if it's exhibitionistic. Congrats.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » March 8th 2022, 1:44pm

Mark1 wrote:
March 8th 2022, 1:07pm
Nice sized. I was wild ass guessing larger case due to the crystal over the bezel. Interesting movement, how about a caseback shot if it's exhibitionistic. Congrats.
Not much to see, but here you go:

Early impressions: It's really a pretty watch (my pics don't show it too well). The bezel is quite good and looks nice with the neon green colourwheys. The dial is polar white, which makes it somewhat difficult to read in certain light; the hands are high-polished chrome. The lume is pretty pathetic, it actually fails the patented quick-glance-in-a-dark-car test.

The design is nice, a throwback to Zodie's Aerospace series from the 1960s. The size is good, too, 40mm, about 14mm thick. I don't have my calipers anyplace I can find them, but the lug-to-lug is comfortable. Lug size is 20mm, and tapers down to, I'd guess, around 16mm at the clasp. Interestingly, here's one of the problems, viz:

On the bracelet, there's not so much of a taper as an afterthought plunge to a smaller size. This is a watch that retails for damn near $1800, and the bracelet shouldn't look like that in this price range (I got it for a 25% discount from Topper Jewelers in CA.)

Indeed, there are other things that would have made this a killer eight- or nine-hundred dollar watch. The timekeeping is all right, about 11-12 seconds fast a day, but not great. The finishing of the bracelet and case are also OK, but not some of note. It's not a chronometer, but for nearly two grand, it wouldn't have killed Zodiac to tighten the timekeeping a little.

Comparing this to another GMT I own, the Sinn 105 UTC (which retails for about $350 more than the Zodiac), there's no contest. The Sinn offers so much more value than the Zodiac--more wearable, better timekeeping, overall, a lot more quality. When I wear the Zodiac, I find myself wishing I had chosen the Sinn or Tudor GMT instead.

It sure is pretty, though.
nimbleboy
Senior Member & WIS

Post by nimbleboy » March 8th 2022, 2:35pm

MAX wrote:
March 8th 2022, 5:15am
Tried as much as I did to like it but it seems something is off. Reminds me of a childs toy.

Looks like something your new avatar would wear.
I came here to say it looks very dapper.

But I kind of love it. Congrats!
Is it safe?
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » March 12th 2022, 4:05am

Yeah, wow. What a weird (and crappy) way to do the bracelet. And if the watch has a sapphire crystal, why not fork out the few extra dollars for the bezel?

Sorry to hear the watch isn't as good as it could have been. It looks great (which presumably is why you gave it a chance).
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
ocean
Master of Time

Post by ocean » March 13th 2022, 5:46pm

Conjurer, I really want to say boner time but the zodiac leaves me soft and underwhelmed. I hope you enjoy it. I dig the color scheme and movement.
To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them. George Mason

Return to “Your New Watch”