Casio GW-5000-1JF

jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Casio GW-5000-1JF

Post by jason_recliner » December 7th 2021, 8:36pm

Just arrived:

First impressions are I love it. Always liked the square Gs, been wanting one with a screw down caseback for years. This one was LNIB at a fair price so I treated myself for Christmas.

I really like the matte, monotone, stealth style. Perfect size. The polymer used for the strap is softer and more pliable than the cheaper G's. The buttons are very firm and beautifully dampened. Love that it says Made in Japan on the back instead of Thailand. Is it really made in Japan? I guess we'll never know.

Speaking of the caseback:

$$%^

The DLC finish with laser-etched (I guess?) markings is pimp.

My only complaint so far is that the buckle is very basic, not even branded, and doesn't match the rest of the aesthetic. It should be boxier. And would it kill Casio to DLC it?

But overall, it's love. This is a keeper.

Big thanks to Thunder1 for reaching out to the seller on my behalf.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
bedlam
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Casio GW-5000-1JF

Post by bedlam » December 7th 2021, 11:08pm

Nice. I'd pick up a cheapish strap of the same width with a DLC buckle and swap it out
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
Capitalism: a cult that promised to do good for the worst reasons.
Nationalism: a profound longing to go back to a past that never existed.
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » December 7th 2021, 11:17pm

smellody wrote:
December 7th 2021, 10:17pm
That watch is square on top with a nice round apple 🍎 bottom.
Yes, it is like a sexy librarian.
smellody wrote:
December 7th 2021, 10:17pm
How's the lume?
Things a lume MONSTER! It's got a dedicated lume button and glows bright green.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » December 7th 2021, 11:27pm

All you have to do to set the time is put in the city, and then it knows the correct time and date. No more setting required! Ok, probably all digital watches do this but it's been a long time since I bought one so it was still a nice surprise.

If it thinks, it stinks
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by 3Flushes » December 8th 2021, 2:53am

Noice! Their DLC coatings are touted to be highly durable.

I'm too old to remember how everything works - gifted my last one to my cousin who I team with in the monthly (weekly pre-COVID) fathers and sons poker tournament.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2022 3flushes Media.^^^
DoctorIvey
Senior Member & WIS

Post by DoctorIvey » December 8th 2021, 4:52am

I’ve been considering one of these myself as I need a wartch for work. It is indeed Made in Japan. I see there are two versions one has a brighter LED illuminator and more choices in radio sync, the latter feature would be useless for me as I no longer travel the world regularly. I’d be keen to hear your impressions as you settle in with it.
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » December 28th 2021, 9:58pm

Been wearing this quite a lot so thought an update might be worthwhile.

Not much to add except it's really comfortable, even though it's heavy for a G-Shock. The more supple band ensures it sits more snug on the wrist than cheaper Gs. It's got auto-backlight, which seems triggered by movement of one's wrist. Except sometimes nothing happens, so that feature might need some development. Not really an issue for me as I didn't expect this feature, and don't really want the backlight operating every time my wrist moves, for obvious reasons. I'll have a hunt through the screens and try to switch auto-backlight off. The green luminescence itself is super-cool, the colour and intensity are spot on.

The watch was inexplicably beeping every hour when delivered. That's what you want from a watch - a reminder that it's 3am. Thankfully the hourly reminder beep is easily deactivated. The seller also kindly left a 0430 alarm on. Sarah wasn't too pleased about that one; at 0430 one is not usually inclined to investigate Casio alarm settings, so the alarm went off every morning for a week or two.

The main problem with the watch (apart from the el-cheapo buckle), IMO, is the caseback. It looks amazing but the perfectly flat, polished DLC surface gets sweaty, slippery, and doesn't allow for any breathing at all. Some kind of relief would make it a more comfortable watch to wear in hot weather. The cool little etched characters are reserved for the Master of G line - I think a stylised embossed SL-1200 would suit the heritage, character and market of this watch.

Overall, apart from the caseback and buckle (still not sure if the backlight is functioning as intended and I don't know what I'm doing), this watch is fantastic. Highly recommended.

If it thinks, it stinks
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » December 29th 2021, 7:40am

I have a different module in my Square-G but the auto light works the same.
The function is easy to turn off, I leave mine enabled because I like the feature. Doesn't illuminate each time the wrist moves, it requires a deliberate >40° action of the arm/wrist.

Here is the operation guide for your #3159 module watch.... page 4 explains how auto light works and how to set on or off.

https://support.casio.com/storage/en/ma ... qw3159.pdf

jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » December 29th 2021, 3:31pm

codguy wrote:
December 29th 2021, 7:40am

I have a different module in my Square-G but the auto light works the same.
The function is easy to turn off, I leave mine enabled because I like the feature. Doesn't illuminate each time the wrist moves, it requires a deliberate >40° action of the arm/wrist.

Here is the operation guide for your #3159 module watch.... page 4 explains how auto light works and how to set on or off.

https://support.casio.com/storage/en/ma ... qw3159.pdf
Thanks, Mr Guy! That's excellent cucumber advice, just the sort of thing one expects to find on a fine watch forum. Much appreciated.

If it thinks, it stinks

Return to “Your New Watch”