New Tooter

smellody
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

New Tooter

Post by smellody » November 6th 2021, 8:17pm

Yes, I have said that before.

The Hydronaut Hydro 1200 is amazing. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

It has lume:

It will go deep! 3,930 ft to be exact. Why they didn't round up to 4k feet, like the number of licks to get to the center of a tootsie pop? The world will never know. I speculate it was a nod to the rare sea dwellers that had "to the foot"specific depth ratings.

I imagine that a certain actual diver guy around these parts will say it is not a real dive watch as it lacks some ISO bullshit. . . But that ain't my bag. With a 3mm thick crystal and a He escape valve, it will go in the hottub, swimming pool, or snorkeling next time I head to Hawaii.

The hands are skeleton 💀 ☠ which is pretty cool and the skeleton minute hand is red.

The box was a black piano finished and super quality compared to other Tudor boxes I've had. Watch came authenticated (whatever that means) by that huge online auction site and had all the booklets, warranty cards, extra link, and an extra silicon strap.

At 45mm it is a big watch, but I'm a big lumberjack pirate type.

In comparison to my Exploder Eye Eye, it is not that big:

https://i.imgur.com/X9Z4RZr.jpeg

I've wanted one for a decade. All I can say is I wish I picked one up earlier.

The only blemish on this hardly used watch is on the clasp.

I am super happy. It is a keeper. I love the white dial with huge lume plots.
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: New Tooter

Post by 3Flushes » November 6th 2021, 9:00pm

Very cool, man.

Is that a 10 click bezel, or did Seiko supply and install it? :mrgreen:

That's a great looking diver- the ceramic bezel and center links links are very cool touches and Tudor makes some cool modifications to the 2824-2-- now the T-600 (T-601 if it's the SW 200-1 - not sure which one Tudor used in these but the mods are the same) Kif shock protection, as if that bomb proof case wasn't enough, and Triovis balance.

Very nice catch --- I want one.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2021 3flushes Media.^^^
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: New Tooter

Post by 3Flushes » November 7th 2021, 3:54am

smellody wrote:
November 6th 2021, 9:03pm
Thanks. The bezel is fine and lines up, it was just a click off in my first pictures. I'll take a better lined up picture tomorrow in the sunlight.
I Figgered as much.

The thought they put into engineering and design details is very cool--- this is a big watch- 45mm, 316L stainless steel, and while I can't find a spec'ed out weight, my guess is it's a pretty heavy watch / bracelet combination.. (If you could weigh it for me, I'd appreciate it). :lol: 316L stainless steel weighs about 9 grams per cubic centimeter. The grade of ceramic used in watchmaking weighs about 2.5 grams per cubic centimeter, with the added bonus of being virtually impossible to scratch.

Ceramic is the hardest class of materials known, about four times harder than stainless steel. Interestingly, the sapphire used in making watch crystals is a form of ceramic. The only drawback is that unless under compression, ceramic materials tend to sort'a explode on impact.

The watch head being considerably heavy at its size, the inclusion of the double row of ceramic center links on the bracelet could easily shave 65+ grams off of the weight of the bracelet (if the links and end links and clasp are solid) given that ceramic is only about 28 percent of the weight of 316L, and that the center links comprise 40% of the bracelet. The ceramic links being sandwiched between steel links likely places a bit of compression on them and also provides some protection from impacts to the corners and edges that are more likely shatter them.

Saves weight, looks cool, and the bracelet beats the hell out of putting it on rubber or polyurethane, or waterproof leather, or whatnot, IMO.

I reckon with the good stuff, you pay a good bit for the thought behind the final product - I certainly would if I could.
Last edited by 3Flushes on November 7th 2021, 4:36pm, edited 3 times in total.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2021 3flushes Media.^^^

Return to “Your New Watch”