Omeger

Hawkeye
US Veteran
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Omeger

Post by Hawkeye » March 24th 2021, 6:19pm

god damn beautiful watch Gratz
This was taken in the summer of 1987 on shellback day, this is on the equator in the Indian Ocean,I am the one with shirt unbuttoned in the middle
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » March 24th 2021, 9:56pm

Thanks, guys!

A bit of backstory is in order: I owned the previous SMP, blue dial with ceramic bezel on the Bond bracelet. I am, perhaps, the only person who didn't care for the Bond bracelet. There was no taper, and no micro-adjustments on the clasp. Apparently, the clasp issue was resolved with this new generation, which came out in, I think, 2018. However, there's still no taper.

Since then, Omega's slightly enlarged the SMP to 42mm; they kept the lug size at 20mm, and the strap is actually pretty goddamn good, as it should be, since they charge around $500 for a replacement. The watch feels pretty good on, with the lower weight due to the rubber vs. the steel. I ordered this one gray from Authentic Watches, which shipped in (literally) a little over 24 hours. It came without the cardboard outer box, but arrived in the big wood Fuck You box (my last SMP came in a weird box that was probably meant for Bosnia or some fucking place.)

I bought the SMP again because:

A) I liked the previous SMP, apart from the bracelet

B) I liked the mix of the gray (ceramic!!) dial and blue bezel

C) I had the money on hand; I didn't want to wait another year or so to get the cash for a Submariner, and then wait another two fucking years on a waiting list, at which time I'd be too close to retirement to pay over ten grand for a fucking watch and chicken out.

D) Why? Because it made me feel so fucking good.

One aside: Buying with Authentic Watches is great. They were on the ball and took care of things well, even winding and setting the watch (not totally accurately) for the super fast shipping. I bought my Superocean from them, and had the same service. Compared to them, Joma is like dealing with a guy who schleps his stock around in the trunk of his Cadillac CTS.
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by MAX » March 25th 2021, 6:09am

Interesting.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
Mark1 (Online)

Post by Mark1 » March 31st 2021, 8:55pm

That's a real nice one John, congrats. I can't wait to get a better look at it over a plate of Moo Goo Gai Pan.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
smellody (Online)

Post by smellody » March 31st 2021, 9:49pm

Mark1 wrote:
March 31st 2021, 8:55pm
That's a real nice one John, congrats. I can't wait to get a better look at it over a plate of Moo Goo Gai Pan.
RIGHT!

I fear by the time we get together again we will need to hire a security guard to join us with all the new watches John has picked up.

I still wonder though..... how's the lume?
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » March 31st 2021, 10:08pm

smellody wrote:
March 31st 2021, 9:49pm
Mark1 wrote:
RIGHT!

I fear by the time we get together again we will need to hire a security guard to join us with all the new watches John has picked up.

I still wonder though..... how's the lume?
The lume is, surprisingly, not extremely good. Nowhere near as good as my SuperOcean, but much better than my Sinn UTC 105.
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » March 31st 2021, 10:09pm

Mark1 wrote:
Thanks, Mark. A roadtrip is certainly overdue. I would hope that COVID wiped out many of the homeless in Longview.

Return to “Your New Watch”