Long jeans

MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Long jeans

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » February 24th 2021, 10:32am

Received this today:

It is - as Biglove guessed in my previous thread - a Longines. Ref. 4858 in a 32mm stainless steel case, 17j calibre 12.68Z.
http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db. ... nes_12_68Z
Whatever the serial number lookup suggested about the year, I don't think it's 1942. Dunno, some shitty glitch in the serials lookup applet. By all the other charts, a 94... serial would be 1954. And 1954 it probably is.
Anyway, contacted the Longines Heritage Department, providing them with the serial, reference number, and photos. I'll see what will they say, when they get back to me.

The 12.68Z certainly is pleasing to look at:

Case back:

The watch has what appears to be the original crown, with the Longines name and the winged hourglass logo:

And just a wrist shot to wrap it up:
I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst.
Elim Garak, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

No good deed ever goes unpunished.
Rule of Acquisition no.285
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Re: Long jeans

Post by biglove » February 24th 2021, 10:50am

Wowsers!! That movement is pristine.

Another fine addition.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by MAX » February 24th 2021, 11:41am

Most excellent !
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » February 24th 2021, 12:04pm

Many a Watch God raise their ale filled gourds in salute to your fine ass pick up!!...Two spears up!!..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Mark1

Post by Mark1 » February 24th 2021, 3:48pm

Nice looking piece congrats. Perhaps someone here can answer, why do the vintage dials often look so rough compared to the movement? Unless the crystal broke or was removed at some point, how do the dials show wear when the movement in this case looks in much cleaner condition. Perhaps the movements are just gone through and cleaned? If this occured on this example why not clean up the dial? How well were watch cases actually sealed up on the vintage pieces? A lot of questions because I have very little experience with vintage watches.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » February 24th 2021, 5:27pm

Fuck that's nice. The dial patina is literally perfect. Love the hands too.

I assumed you are much older before I saw your pic due to your extremely refined taste when it comes to watches. Very impressive. If I was gay...
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » February 25th 2021, 5:16pm

I have contacted the Longines Heritage Department, and they got back to me today. I don't quite know where my mind was, but far away enough to misread the serial. In fact, it's in the 84... not a 94... range. Anyway, as per Longines' records for this one, it has been first invoiced on May 6, 1952 at Bessire, a retailer in Belgium. Got to applaud Longines, they give themselves 1-2 weeks to answer, they answered me and did the looking in less than 24 hours.

Should anyone want to look at the movement some more...
Mark1 wrote:
February 24th 2021, 3:48pm
Nice looking piece congrats. Perhaps someone here can answer, why do the vintage dials often look so rough compared to the movement? Unless the crystal broke or was removed at some point, how do the dials show wear when the movement in this case looks in much cleaner condition. Perhaps the movements are just gone through and cleaned? If this occured on this example why not clean up the dial? How well were watch cases actually sealed up on the vintage pieces? A lot of questions because I have very little experience with vintage watches.
Light exposure, humidity, temperature shifts, all of that affects the movement differently than it does the coat of paint. There's hardly any way of cleaning the dial without too much of a risk of damaging it. I have seen dial cleaning having gone badly wrong a few times, sometimes it's just a matter of learning not to worry and love the tarnish.
Racer-X wrote:
February 24th 2021, 5:34pm
That's a honey, but I am unreasonably attached to your Tissot Antimagnetic.
Which one? The 38mm from 1939, or the 14K gold one from 1947?
I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst.
Elim Garak, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

No good deed ever goes unpunished.
Rule of Acquisition no.285
smellody

Post by smellody » February 25th 2021, 5:44pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
February 25th 2021, 5:16pm
I have contacted the Longines Heritage Department, and they got back to me today. I don't quite know where my mind was, but far away enough to misread the serial. In fact, it's in the 84... not a 94... range. Anyway, as per Longines' records for this one, it has been first invoiced on May 6, 1952 at Bessire, a retailer in Belgium. Got to applaud Longines, they give themselves 1-2 weeks to answer, they answered me and did the looking in less than 24 hours.

Should anyone want to look at the movement some more...
Mark1 wrote:
February 24th 2021, 3:48pm
Light exposure, humidity, temperature shifts, all of that affects the movement differently than it does the coat of paint. There's hardly any way of cleaning the dial without too much of a risk of damaging it. I have seen dial cleaning having gone badly wrong a few times, sometimes it's just a matter of learning not to worry and love the tarnish.
Racer-X wrote:
February 24th 2021, 5:34pm
That's a honey, but I am unreasonably attached to your Tissot Antimagnetic.
Which one? The 38mm from 1939, or the 14K gold one from 1947?
Not only a fast response............ they responded. Rolex will not respond to me without taking $12k to consider as down payment on a vintage restoration.

Return to “Your New Watch”