A Legacy and a Vintage are added to my Steinhart Ocean 1 Stash..

Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

A Legacy and a Vintage are added to my Steinhart Ocean 1 Stash..

Post by Thunder1 » January 26th 2021, 5:52pm

Today was a fine day for me to work from home. I was lucky enough to receive 2 previously loved Steinharts and they both seem to be in very fine working order.

First up is an Ocean 1 Legacy. Steinhart made about 200 of these for Gnomon in 2016. It is a homage to a Rolex Sub from the 1954-55 time frame. Here are pics of both of them..
OriginalRolex.jpg
(The above is not my pic)
Steinhart Ocean 1 Legacy(1).JPG
The SS case is 42mm wide & the L2L is 52mm. The lugs are pre-drilled & the case sports an exhibition back. It is powered by the ever ubiquitous ETA 2824-2. The signed, over-sized, locking crown lacks crown guards. The matt black dial sports aged appearing lumed indices & the thin, pencil shaped hour/minute hands feature a gold gilt treatment. The most distinguishing features of the dial are the 'lollipop' second hand & the words 'shock resisting'. These are shown off to great affect by the raised dome sapphire crystal that distorts the dial's look, depending upon the angle the watch is held at.

It comes w/ the standard 22mm Steinhart oyster style bracelet that narrows down to 18mm at the clasp. While it is the same 'sticky' clasp that many of us are familiar with, the coin-edged bezel turns easily w/o much, if any, back play. It cost me $220.00 in cash and a Hammy auto chrono in trade.

The 2nd addition to the Steiny Stash is an Ocean 1 Vintage. The 42mm SS case also has a L2L of 52mm & the lugs are pre-drilled, as well. It is powered by either the same ETA 2824-2 or the Sellita equivalent. The caseback is closed and features a pic of a diver's helmet. The grey dial face also features 'aged' lumed indices & only 2 lines of text. It's looks also benefits greatly by it's high domed sapphire crystal.

The signed, locking crown resides inside of a red stem sleeve and there are no crown guards. The smoothly turning bezel features a red inverted triangle that adds to the look. It has the same oyster style bracelet of the O1L. While currently in production, I picked up this 'previously loved' example for $350.00. Here's a pic..
Steinhart Ocean 1 Vintage(1).JPG
If you guys can comfortably wear Steinhart's 42mm wrist offerings(and many of us w/ smaller or round wrists can't), I give these 2 watches strong recommendations, particularly the Ocean 1 Vintage, as it is still in production and can be picked up at attractive price points on the 2nd hand market.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Thunder1 on January 26th 2021, 7:29pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
biglove
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: A Legacy and a Vintage are added to my Steinhart Ocean 1 Stash..

Post by biglove » January 26th 2021, 7:41pm

Like them both but that Ocean 1 Vintage gives me the tingles. WHY won't Steinhart change their case design?

Have owned four of their watches and sold them all because of the flat as my ass cases. :(
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat

Return to “Your New Watch”