An Ocean One 'Comex' Joins the Herd thanx to a Fedex Delivery Today..

Thunder1 (Online)
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

An Ocean One 'Comex' Joins the Herd thanx to a Fedex Delivery Today..

Post by Thunder1 » January 22nd 2021, 3:25pm

Well, I was fortunate enough to be visiting the Olko watch site last week when they had some Ocean 1 Comex watches(or at least one) available for sale..having only recently learned of its' existence just a few weeks ago, and seeing it mentioned in very favorable terms in posts on other forums, I jumped on it..

Initial impressions are as follows. The black aluminum bezel turns easily, securely, w/ little or no back play(so Steinhart must be raising their game)..and the 'bottle cap' edges provide for a very secure grip..the 22mm(measured at the lugs) oyster bracelet tapers nicely down to the clasp..it is comfortable, but this clasp is the same sticky clasp we have all become accustomed to. The 42mm SS case fits my wrist well, despite the flat lugs..this is welcome news, as I've been avoiding 42mm Steinys up to now because I feared an uncomfortable fit..so, this means another couple of Steinys are now on my radar!!..

Another welcome sight is the black dial. Thankfully, its's not the 'grey-black' color of my OVM39..instead, it is an inky black, ala my Ocean One 39 black ceramic watch..and coupled with the 'normal' colored hour markers, it is a pleasant look..so, if you guys are lucky enough to already own one, you know what I mean..for the rest of us Steiny collectors, I heartedly recommend picking one up..OK, here's a pic of mine..good luck hunting folks!!..
Steinhart Ocean One Comex(1).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Thunder1 on January 22nd 2021, 3:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1 (Online)
Senior Member & WIS

Re: An Ocean One 'Comex' Joins the Herd thanx to a Fedex Delivery Today..

Post by Thunder1 » January 22nd 2021, 4:07pm

TemerityB wrote:
January 22nd 2021, 3:30pm
Nice, Thunder. Pretty sleek piece there. Steinhart is one of the brands I've always admired but never picked up. Really nice. I guess the deal was good as well.
I paid about $578.00 for it..the going retail price..one does see them going for inflated prices because of their limited availability..I see they're available once again now..
https://www.olko-watches.com/collections/uhren
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1 (Online)
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » January 22nd 2021, 4:08pm

Watch Noob wrote:
January 22nd 2021, 3:42pm
Nice pickup Thunder. Steinhart is a respected brand from what I've rad over the years and deservedly so. Congrats on another beauty to your collection :Thumbsup:
Thanx M. Noob!!..always happy to enable!!..
Watch Noob
Banned

Post by Watch Noob » January 22nd 2021, 5:32pm

Thunder1 wrote:
January 22nd 2021, 4:08pm
Watch Noob wrote:
January 22nd 2021, 3:42pm
Nice pickup Thunder. Steinhart is a respected brand from what I've rad over the years and deservedly so. Congrats on another beauty to your collection :Thumbsup:
Thanx M. Noob!!..always happy to enable!!..
If I could change one thing on the dial would be to remove the outlining and fill of white on the word "Ocean" on the dial. Not sure why they chose to do that, looks blocky. Make the word Ocean white instead.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » January 22nd 2021, 6:16pm

That looks fantastic. I believe the Comex design is the white around black. Took me a second to realize this one didn't say "COMEX."

Had one loaded into my cart but remembered why I have sold my prior Steinhart Ocean models. I have round wrists and their long lug-to-lug and flat lug end just hangs off my wrist. A shame.
Last edited by biglove on January 22nd 2021, 6:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat
Thunder1 (Online)
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » January 22nd 2021, 6:30pm

biglove wrote:
January 22nd 2021, 6:16pm
That looks fantastic. I believe the Comex design is the white around black. Took me a second to realize this one didn't say "COMEX."

Had one loaded into my cart but remembered why I have sold my prior Steinhart Ocean models. I have round wrists and their long lug-to-lug and flat lug end just hangs off my wrist. A shame.
I know!!!.I was worried about it, too..I guess my wrist is just flat enough to get away w/ it..and you're right, again..the word 'Ocean' in white replicates the word 'Comex" on the original Rolex divers of all those years ago..
Thunder1 (Online)
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » January 22nd 2021, 6:31pm

Nuvolari wrote:
January 22nd 2021, 6:23pm
I dig it!! Enjoy!
Thanx, Nuvo!!..
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » January 22nd 2021, 8:16pm

Looking at the last one sold on eBay, looks like after fees and shipping they can be bought and flipped for an easy $100+ profit each. Tempting to try it, knowing I won't lose cash if I don't like the fit.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat
Thunder1 (Online)
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » January 23rd 2021, 7:41am

biglove wrote:
January 22nd 2021, 8:16pm
Looking at the last one sold on eBay, looks like after fees and shipping they can be bought and flipped for an easy $100+ profit each. Tempting to try it, knowing I won't lose cash if I don't like the fit.
They're still available this a.m..the edges of the bezel on these are different then the ones on the 39mm Oceans I already have..a 'bottle cap' design, they are a 'scalloped' design and it is easier to grip..and it looks a little better..and, the bezel turns normally, like any other quality made Swiss watch..I bought a couple of jubilee bracelets from Gnomon to switch out on this one(and another that's on the way) & have now decided not to switch out..the brushed oyster bracelet just fits it too well and is comfortable..tapers down to 18mm at the clasp..my Steinys all seem to gain about 5 seconds per day, which is pretty good..

Check out Olka's Ocean 39 Vintage GMT Red Ceramic..it's actually close to becoming one of my favorite watches to wear, period..and it looks even better on the jubilee bracelet you can get from Gnomon/Steinhart..the lighter silver dial face is a nice improvement over the standard Vintage GMT ceramic Steinhart sells, imo..
https://www.olko-watches.com/collection ... al-edition
Last edited by Thunder1 on January 23rd 2021, 9:12am, edited 1 time in total.
Thunder1 (Online)
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » January 23rd 2021, 7:43am

smellody wrote:
January 23rd 2021, 1:19am
Nice. Like the green lume!
Thanx..must be nice having an original that inspires the production of similar pieces..
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » January 23rd 2021, 9:53pm

Thanks for the info, T. I SO wish Steinhart would reconfigure their lugs and case shape.

3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » January 23rd 2021, 10:21pm

Nice catch, Thunder-

I don't get the big hairy deal about Comex- I get they are a deep sea / saturation outfit but the watch is 300 m- does comex modify, endorse it etc- the Comex Rolex watches are North of 50 G's for god' sake.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.^^^
Thunder1 (Online)
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » January 24th 2021, 6:47am

3Flushes wrote:
January 23rd 2021, 10:21pm
I don't get the big hairy deal about Comex- I get they are a deep sea / saturation outfit but the watch is 300 m- does comex modify, endorse it etc- the Comex Rolex watches are North of 50 G's for god' sake.
I think their value stems from the fact that not a lot of them were made &that collecting the Rolex brand has been a big thing ..I'm sure Smells knows more..
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » January 24th 2021, 1:45pm

Thunder1 wrote:
January 24th 2021, 6:47am
3Flushes wrote:
I think their value stems from the fact that not a lot of them were made &that collecting the Rolex brand has been a big thing ..I'm sure Smells knows more..
So it's basically an endorsement- Comex has nothing to do with the design or manufacture for Rolex, Steinhart or whomever?
^^^Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.^^^
Thunder1 (Online)
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » January 24th 2021, 3:02pm

3Flushes wrote:
January 24th 2021, 1:45pm
Thunder1 wrote:
January 24th 2021, 6:47am
3Flushes wrote:
So it's basically an endorsement- Comex has nothing to do with the design or manufacture for Rolex, Steinhart or whomever?
Yep, as far as I know, Rolex made a few dozen(or a 100?) for the Comex company and put their name in them..I don't know if Rolex made other divers back then that were otherwise the same or not..maybe they didn't..

Return to “Your New Watch”