The 'Kissing E' Embraces the Look of the 'Ombre..

Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

The 'Kissing E' Embraces the Look of the 'Ombre..

Post by Thunder1 » December 29th 2020, 4:31pm

Well, my Xmas watch finally showed up!!..it's an Ebel Discovery Bronze Diver..the case is 41mm wide and has a see-through back surrounded by titanium..Ebel made 250 of them w/ a scratched(weathered) brown dial face & another 250 in blue...it's powered by Ebel's version of the ETA 2824..worn it for a couple of hours, and so far, so good..our local weather is overcast right now, so I can't get any good comparison pics of it side-by-side w/ the Chris Ward C65 Trident 'Ombre, but I will tomorrow..anyway, it's a welcome addition to my stable of Ebels…
Ebel Discovery Bronze LE(1).jpg
Ebel Discovery Bronze LE(2).jpg
The weather cooperated briefly today, so I was able to take some pics of my bronze Ebel Discovery & CW C65 'Ombre..here's a pic of them side by side..
Ebel Discovery CW Ombre Comparo(4).JPG
So, while both cases are about 41mm in width, the lug widths differ(22mm for the CW & 20mm for the Ebel)..I think the narrower lug width for the Ebel gives it a slight edge, both in looks and feel..however, I think I prefer the CW's matt black bezel to the Ebels..a little more contrast in colors is helpful, in that regard..and I would describe the Ebel's dial color as olive, not brown..both feature raised minute & hour indices and date windows, the latter at different points on the dial..I would say, in terms of looks, the overall look is a tie between the two..

Another slight difference is that the Ebel is 11mm tall, while the 'Ombre is 11.55mm..the below pic shows them side by side..
Ebel Discovery CW Ombre Comparo(2).JPG
For me, both fit equally comfortable beneath long shirt sleeves..both have signed crowns, but the Ebel's locks down..for me, open case backs are a plus, as I enjoy looking at the movements from time to time, even if they're run of the mill ETAs..having said that, the CW's nicely sculpted case and case back are standouts..I have to give the CW the edge in terms of executing the look of the case..a pic of their case backs is below..
Ebel Discovery CW Ombre Comparo(3).JPG
The Ebel is powered by an ETA 2824-2..what grade it is, I can't be sure, but it is keeping good time so far and is pretty smooth to wind, giving that it is an ETA 2824..on the other hand(wrist?), the 'Ombre features a chronometer grade Sellita..it is also keeping excellent time and it is a little smoother to wind..I have to give the 'Ombre a small edge in this regard, although they are both pretty much the same movement..

So, for me, what is left for me to consider are intangibles..both are Limited Editions, but the CW has yet to sell out..the Ebel was launched around July of 2019(I think), but can already be found at 60-75% of its' retail price..the CW has an enthusiastic audience & the Ebel doesn't..while the Ebel has a 200m water resistance & the CW only 150mm, both are probably intended for desk diver duty as they come with leather straps..I really don't yet prefer one to the other, which means that they'll both get equal wrist time!!..here's one more comparo pic that I hope that you'll enjoy..
Ebel Discovery CW Ombre Comparo(1).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Thunder1 on December 30th 2020, 12:19pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Re: The 'Kissing E' Embraces the Look of the 'Ombre..

Post by Nuvolari » December 29th 2020, 6:40pm

Very cool on just the right straps too! Great watch, man - very stately!
“Could somebody please let me know what the fuck is going on here?? It's like walking into the local Safeway to do some grocery shopping and finding a bunch of ghey midgets cornholing each other in the produce department.” - Conjurer

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Re: The 'Kissing E' Embraces the Look of the 'Ombre..

Post by biglove » December 29th 2020, 9:11pm

That's damned nice. Classy and understated.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat

Return to “Your New Watch”