Weil, Weil, Weil - Things Sure Are Changing In My Town {Long}

Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Weil, Weil, Weil - Things Sure Are Changing In My Town {Long}

Post by Nuvolari » December 3rd 2020, 11:09pm

My friend and local jeweler/watch pedlar, Richard, (the dude who hosted the Whiskey & Watches events I had posted about a few years ago) recently experienced the tragedy of losing his father.

I had previously met his dad who had run their store in San Francisco before retiring and working part-time as a courtesy to his son as a watchmaker in his son-and-daughter-in-law’s store.

The old man? He, too, was a cool dude and their store was always such a great place to visit primarily because it is family owned and operated - everyone has an interesting and charming personality, and they all actively do give a genuine shit about your service experience.

Richard’s dad caught Covid and was not able to overcome its debilitating impact. What do you say to that?

So, Richard told me, they have elected to sell the bulk of their inventory at fire-sale pricing, sell their home, and move out of California toward Meridian, Idaho, near Eagle, near Boise.

They will probably open a store up there and, interestingly - he indicated he will be dabbling more in the pre-owned Rolex market.

In the meantime, their pricing during my visit was flipping unbelievably good.

I ended up getting Mrs. Nuvolari a spectacularly cut large amethyst mounted as a necklace in white gold with a white gold chain. It just happens to go very nicely with another large ring I had previously given her. I also picked up a white gold chain for another necklace that has a black onyx stone in a contemporary design with diamonds - it’s beautiful, but is on a chain so dinky that it looks like if she sneezes wrong it would snap faster than uncooked angel hair pasta. So this will help that, too.

And then, he points out the few watches he still has in stock are being discounted 60% beyond his very reasonable pricing.

As he placed this Raymond Weil into my hands he said with an almost sheepish smirk, a slight shrug of the shoulders, and a knowing tilt of the head, “That’s lower than my cost...”

And true to what I believe I probably read somewhere, “...it’s better to buy in threes”. Why? I don’t really remember the context, but it served me well here, so that’s why I’m pretty sure I most likely actually read that. Or probably will.

14k gold derived PVD (??) coated stainless steel, automatic, hack/hand wind, transparent caseback, & clean lines. Dressy or casual, high-quality push-button folding clasp... and, although the gator-print leather strap is nice, I’m seeking an actual alligator band. The odd size of 20x16mm makes it a little more of a hassle to find...

The dial is engraved, and the hands have a clever finishing detail of just a touch of blue along the sides of the otherwise black (or very very dark blue) hand surfaces.

So... all things being equal, it would not have made sense to not buy this watch. So I intentionally did not, not-buy it.

I’m going to miss, Richard - but his moving away will ultimately save me a ton of money...

And it’s all crap without pictures so, here’s somez:
6F5C214D-876E-4088-B3E8-0BA7EAAFC9D9.jpeg
54A205B3-A7F3-411B-8FF4-A9AD481CF19B.jpeg
88549B26-6438-4147-A70A-CAB06C79E9A7.jpeg
2DA42BD4-4A4E-4F45-8266-6042EE41DEDF.jpeg
F7657E2F-9A37-4D71-ADBA-7BDFC734D548.jpeg
43B1B2DA-60F7-45FB-8575-4115501E01A2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Nuvolari on December 4th 2020, 1:19pm, edited 4 times in total.
“Could somebody please let me know what the fuck is going on here?? It's like walking into the local Safeway to do some grocery shopping and finding a bunch of ghey midgets cornholing each other in the produce department.” - Conjurer

Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Re: Weil, Weil, Weil - Things Sure Are Changing In My Town {Long}

Post by Nuvolari » December 4th 2020, 10:17am

Thanks guys!

IWB - no but he kind of hemmed & hawed about that, so I suspect he will build that out. Right now their web presence is more of a “page” for awareness rather than a store for commerce.

(Perhaps a limitation of a small family-owned business...)

https://www.kandcofamilyjewelers.com/
“Could somebody please let me know what the fuck is going on here?? It's like walking into the local Safeway to do some grocery shopping and finding a bunch of ghey midgets cornholing each other in the produce department.” - Conjurer

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Re: Weil, Weil, Weil - Things Sure Are Changing In My Town {Long}

Post by biglove » December 4th 2020, 2:57pm

Great story and classic, timeless watch purchase.

Like IWB, I was hoping he had a online store.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat

Return to “Your New Watch”