The Long Arm(wrist?) of the Loyal Finally Catch-Up W/ The Perp..

Thunder1 (Online)
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

The Long Arm(wrist?) of the Loyal Finally Catch-Up W/ The Perp..

Post by Thunder1 » August 14th 2020, 11:50am

Well, this Ebel BTR(Back To Roots) Perpetual Calendar has been a long time grail of mine..manufactured in 2007, it retailed for $31,000.00 in those early, slightly Pre-Recession, days..I'm sure retailers back then would have gladly accepted $20,000.00 or so for them..we're not sure how many of these Ebels were brought to market then, but there were white and black dial SS versions, some skeleton dials, and some solid gold case versions..the numbers 20 and 200 are seen on the web to this day..regardless, there aren't many out there, to be sure..until RDenny(WUS) gets back to me, I'm guessing the number 20 refers to the gold cased versions & the SS versions were not limited editions...on my SS black dial version, there is no Limited # on it to be seen..

Ok, for some specifics now..the brushed SS case(w/ polished bezel) measures 44.5 mm in width..the Ebel strap is black croc..for the really good stuff, the movement is the then in-house 137 calibre w/ a Duprois-Depraz calendar module added..this Ebel caliber 288 is twice COSC certified..once, w/o the added DD module...and again, w/ the DD module added.. it consists of 436 parts..the crown screws down & it has a WR of 100m..on each side of this brushed SS case, there are 2 'correctors' to help set the counters..it keeps track of hours, minutes, small seconds, 7-day counter, astronomical moon counter, 31 day counter, 48 months and year counter, and a chronograph keeper of seconds..

Around 2013/2014, the Movado Group gathered up all the unsold(must have been nearly all of them) from retail dealers and sent them back to the Movado Group Stores..these are shops typically located in Outlet Malls that sell Movados, Concords, Ebels and fashion watches that they couldn't sell otherwise...they went from $3,200.00 to the mid $4,000.00s..I missed out on these sales(but picked up other nice Ebel autos!!)..Rdenney & WWll70 at the WUS forum did in fact pick these up at these price points & WWll70 picked up two of them..he was gracious enough to let one of these BNIB go(he let me pay a few hundred $ a month on it for a few months) for $3,500.00..so, this is something of a grail for me as I've been an Ebel lover for decades..yes, the dial is hard to read..yes, this isn't an 'everyday' piece of wrist wear..still, while it's not an 'every day' selection that one will just strap on to the wrist, it is, nevertheless, a high quality made mechanical perpetual calendar at a relatively affordable price point that I could obtain(thanx WWII70!!)..some pics follow, though I know to do better!!.
Ebel BTR Perpetual Calendar 288(01).JPG
Ebel BTR perpetual Calendar 288(02).JPG
Winston & Walter woof 'TGIF & Stay Safe..
WinstonWalter02212019.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Re: The Long Arm(wrist?) of the Loyal Finally Catch-Up W/ The Perp..

Post by biglove » August 14th 2020, 4:07pm

Wow! That’s haute horology, yes it is. Glad you got an amazing deal and able to finally get something you have longed for.

Oh, and I don’t think the dial is difficult to read, at least not the time portion.

Look forward to more photos.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » August 14th 2020, 4:53pm

It's a really cool piece. One correction, though - the Ebel 137 was not an in-house movement, it's just Ebel's own number for the Lemania cal. 1350.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
Thunder1 (Online)
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » August 14th 2020, 5:27pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
August 14th 2020, 4:53pm
It's a really cool piece. One correction, though - the Ebel 137 was not an in-house movement, it's just Ebel's own number for the Lemania cal. 1350.
Evening, there, sir...uh, no..
https://www.watchtime.com/wristwatch-in ... liber-137/
https://luxurywatches635.wordpress.com/ ... ronograph/

https://www.intlwatchleague.com/showthr ... N-content)

https://www.fratellowatches.com/ebel-19 ... rely-seen/

http://en.worldtempus.com/article/ebel- ... 11119.html
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » August 14th 2020, 7:52pm

Holy damn! Well done, man!! That is just incredible - a tour de force in mechanical wristwear! Amazing at any price, but a super extra low-down secret-handshake deal never hurts!!

Enjoy!
“Could somebody please let me know what the fuck is going on here?? It's like walking into the local Safeway to do some grocery shopping and finding a bunch of ghey midgets cornholing each other in the produce department.” - Conjurer

TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » August 14th 2020, 8:01pm

This is one of the best watch tales ever told in this particular venue. Wow.

This is a great example of a lot of knowledge, some patience, some lady luck, and sheer WISdom converging like a symphony. A spectacular watch, and I'm cravin' more photos and more posts about it.

Just freakin' awesome.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
Thunder1 (Online)
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » August 31st 2020, 4:11am

pauliedoggs wrote:
August 29th 2020, 5:43pm
Nice acquisition! I have to agree with biglove, time is very legible. Those sword hands are the bomb! The case lines too.
Well, thank you, sir..
Thunder1 (Online)
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » August 31st 2020, 4:12am

Rusty wrote:
August 30th 2020, 6:26pm
Nice, Chuck. And the pooches look thrilled for you. ;-)
Thanx Rusty!!..many new pick ups on your part?..

Return to “Your New Watch”