My Final Fling: Rolex Oyster Perpetual

TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

My Final Fling: Rolex Oyster Perpetual

Post by TemerityB » July 1st 2020, 5:03pm

What follows is a tale which, in a way, is one of luck and timing. I’ll also wax just a bit sentimental over this, likely the last watch I will ever buy.

It has been a bitch of a year, even if you’ve had even a little bit of a decent one – who can say “Wow, 2020 has been a blast”? It’s been hard on me, sure, but at the same time, I keep having these little lucky streaks, so I consider myself very lucky. I didn’t catch the virus even when it was at its peak here in NYC. Yet, I lost my father in law (non-COVID as far as we can tell, but we likely will never really know), as well as a family friend who succumbed to coronavirus. I was furloughed in early March, and I’ve been duffing it out at home all this time, as my skill set is unique and I’ve been told my company will reopen … someday. Eh. I am not rich. Never have been. Always frugal and cautious.

So I take you back to early March, when I had a nice thing happen – my brother and I sold some property we jointly owned and received a nice hunk of change. I usually don’t have this much liquid, so I took a portion of it, just a sliver of it, and told myself: Times suck, you better enjoy life while you’re still here. So I went out and started watch shopping, and I had my eyes on a new Rolex – not a pre-owned, not a trade, not an older model such as the one I already own – I wanted to walk into an AD, pay full nut, get the five-year-warranty, and whole schmear. I wanted, just one time, not to settle, not to wait, not to have anything but something I really coveted – and I wanted a box-fresh stainless steel Rolex. I wanted that perfect case, the supple bracelet, the incredible dial work. I realize Rolex is a polarizing brand to some here, and that’s fine – they ain’t cheap, and they’re not getting cheaper anytime soon, even in this retail climate. Plus, try to find one – I dare you. Even the busiest and best ADs have scarce supplies of anything in SS, only gold and women’s models. One of the biggest Rolex dealers in Long Island, as of early March, had 11 watches to sell. Seriously – people were buying Rolex like mad once news of the pandemic hit. I will leave the editorial comments on that for another day.

When things started to settle down here in NY this week – very low numbers for corona, a general uptick in the mood and in business – I decided to give in to my pangs once again. I was researching a pre-owned JLC Master Control Reserve De Marche; it was a ‘90s, model, 43 hour power reserive, real haute horology stuff by any standard. I was inches from pulling the trigger but … preowned again, man? Remember what you told yourself? Something told me to go to the Rolex website and write to various AD s in the NYC/Long Island area, who, even after four months, pretty much told me they had bupkis. The model I’ve been looking for is the “lowly” “starter” Rolex – a 34mm Oyster Perpetual in its green dial configuration. Just a simple, no-nonsense, mega-accurate time keeper with a unique stylistic bent.

On Monday, I get a call from my folks upstate who wanted me to come up to my hometown and help them with something. So I took a shot in the dark and called an AD in Albany, NY – and they had the model I had looked for, for months. Sold. They actually put the watch aside for me (try THAT in NYC), and this morning, the watch was mine. Paid full price, fully warranty, the box, the papers, the white glove routine.

I have to figure you guys, in particular, know everything there is to know about such a model, but I’ll give a few nuts and bolts – Oystersteel case (which sealed the deal for me; these watches are so perfectly balanced that you don’t even feel it when it’s on your wrist); 100 meters depth rating with the Twinlock waterproof system; yeah, “Superlative Chronometer”; the movement is Rolex caliber 3130 – same movement used in both Explorers and Air Kings until recently, not to mention the Submariner no-date. “Starter” watch? Start this.

So, here’s a couple of fired off pics, and I’m about to peruse the papers and warranty stuff for the first time. Allow me this:

Things suck right now, both here and all over the globe. It's more than just the pandemic; there's all the other problems I won't list. You know what they are. I chose this one day – just this one, singular moment for me – to live it the fuck up, just today, July 1, 2020. Tomorrow I will turn the news on again, but for today, I purchased a box fresh, straight from the AD Rolex with all the trimmings, easily the most I’ve ever dropped on a piece and what will be the last watch I will ever buy. Who knows how much time we have left on this mortal coil? God gave me this day, this one day, to just enjoy. And I did.

I'm wishing you all one day where you can take a breath and enjoy things. We all deserve it. Don’t forget to do it. Recently, I was in the chat room and one of more esteemed members here said something like: "I know, in these times, it seems silly, this hobby of ours."

Yes, it does.

Thankfully.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
biglove (Online)
Watchlord WIS

Re: My Final Fling: Rolex Oyster Perpetual

Post by biglove » July 1st 2020, 6:00pm

TB, excellent read and glad you chose to pursue this beautiful watch. Has to be one of my favorite Rolexes I have ever laid eyes on.

My wife and I have discussed finances these last few months. We are fortunate that we are doing ok. And we decided that beyond basic savings, we are spending our extra and enjoying the hell out of it. Tomorrow holds no guarantees and I will be damned if I die without enjoying the things I can afford.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."
AlbertaTime (Online)
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » July 2nd 2020, 4:43am

I am so thrilled for you, TB!! Huge congratulations!
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » July 2nd 2020, 12:28pm

AntFarm wrote:
July 2nd 2020, 12:15pm
Nice Choice TB. I love the dial. Savor the moment. And don't turn the news back on... It all sucks.
You say safe there in LI - I worry about those restaurants getting crammed.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » July 2nd 2020, 1:05pm

a 34mm Oyster Perpetual
That is a sissy watch size! :mrgreen:

Good for you to purchase something you wanted and to get it new to boot. I love green and you cannot go wrong with that classic look. :Thumbsup:

Just a warning though, when you go out, make certain no one grabs your wrist to look at it or drools on it. I understand there are a lot of rolex haters out there wearing saucers.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » July 2nd 2020, 1:50pm

koimaster wrote:
July 2nd 2020, 1:05pm
a 34mm Oyster Perpetual

Just a warning though, when you go out, make certain no one grabs your wrist to look at it or drools on it.
I think I'm safe. After all, it's not an Invicter. :wink:
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » July 2nd 2020, 2:48pm

Great read, T - and a fucking awesome First Class choice in watches. Sometimes it’s nice to be tended to with the White Glove treatment, verdamnit!
“Could somebody please let me know what the fuck is going on here?? It's like walking into the local Safeway to do some grocery shopping and finding a bunch of ghey midgets cornholing each other in the produce department.” - Conjurer

TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » July 3rd 2020, 12:46pm

Thanks to all. Still in the honeymoon phase.

Return to “Your New Watch”