An unexpected one (while waiting for another).

MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

An unexpected one (while waiting for another).

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » June 3rd 2020, 1:37pm

Recently, at work, a colleague brought some vintage watches - Soviet, most of them - so that I might have a look at them. And it so turned out, that some of them were either to gather dust, or they could become mine. Naturally, I agreed to the second option. One's a 1970s or 1980s Vostok Komandirskie, but that one's in dire need of a full service, new friction springs for the bezel (as it is, the bezel's as loose as a hooker's morals), a new crystal, crown and stem tube.

The other, meanwhile, not only works, but it works well!

It's a Poljot, which the folks in WUS Russian Watches forum have identified as a rather short-lived model featured in catalogues from 1970, 1971 and 1972. For a 1970s watch, it's on the small side, at 30mm. The case design (in terms of solutions used, not the looks or capabilities) resembles the Vostok Amfibia - it has a centre disk of the case back held by a screw-in ring, and it even has a gasket. That design has protected the movement well. Sadly, the same can't be said of the dial, but no less, the dial has retained some of its charm.

The movement inside is the Poljot 2409:
Quite a decent movement, actually. Poljot-Kirowa shock device, additional shock protection over the escape wheel, and a Breguet overcoil. Funnily enough, it works, and hasn't lost or gained a minute in 24 hours of its test run. Which means that the movement is in good shape.

The watch apparently landed in a drawer...because of the bracelet. What was left of it were Speidel-ish expanding straight endlinks, which just refused to provide enough space to access the collars of the spring bars. I had to force the covers of the endlinks open in order to access the spring, so that I could then pull the outer covers to the side in order to access the spring bar. The springs were all rusty and caked in filth, and I had about a ton of said rust and filth fall out of that contraption when I finally managed to get the covers bent open. But I've managed. The remnants of the particularly vile bracelet have been removed.

The watch will need a new crystal, a strap, and an ordinary movement service. Perhaps a new crown as well, at some point. I believe that with relatively little effort it can be made a perfectly wearable looker once again.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation

Return to “Your New Watch”