Rolex Oyster "Speedking" 4220

smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Rolex Oyster "Speedking" 4220

Post by smellody » June 2nd 2020, 6:54pm

My newest watch is a Rolex 4220 dating from 1940.

The dial and hands are right as rain in the British Isles.

At 30ish+ mms I can wear and enjoy it. Forget your 52mm watches boys.

In the late '30's, a center second was kind of a big deal. I'll leave that comment there for my next incoming. . .

MKTheVintageBloke (Online)
Master of Time

Re: Rolex Oyster "Speedking" 4220

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » June 3rd 2020, 1:44pm

Indeed, back then, sweep-second watches were advertised as recommended for MDs. As the ad shows, Rolex did so. Omega also did so, with the sweep-second Medicus (and the waterproof Naiad Medicus).

I wonder if the hands weren't relumed at some point - it's not common for the lume on the hands to turn a dirty pistachio colour, while the dial lume has turned beige.

Still, a lovely piece. The dial looks unaltered, the case appears to be alright. All in all, if I'd find one of these at some flea market stall (unlikely, but it's kinda nice to dream), I'd be all over the fucking Moon.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
MKTheVintageBloke (Online)
Master of Time

Re: Rolex Oyster "Speedking" 4220

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » June 4th 2020, 7:11pm

artman wrote:
June 4th 2020, 7:06pm
I have a dumb question. Where did that stuff on the 25 marker go? Did that evaporate or collect elsewhere?? I have a several vintage watches that have aged in a similar manner and I have often wondered that.
Disintegrated into debris, presumably. The debris would have been removed during a service.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation

Return to “Your New Watch”