It’s about the opposite of new to me, but it feels new!

constant change
Facebook ID: 0

It’s about the opposite of new to me, but it feels new!

Post by constant change » May 30th 2020, 12:03pm

I’ve had this since my 10th birthday, and although some of you might figure out how old I am, I’ve had it for 46 years and 9 months. I just got it back today - I had let it sit with a dead battery for years, and when I replaced the battery it was losing almost three hours per day. The watchmaker had to source 3 nonworking movements and combine them into one that works. It took about five years, but it was worth the wait.
92212021-26DB-4BBC-8276-661BB79CD06E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: It’s about the opposite of new to me, but it feels new!

Post by TemerityB » May 30th 2020, 3:59pm

Damn, this is truly a display of a love for a particular watch - I know, I went through it too. You did a heck of a job there.

My own two cents: As as young adult, I usually wore drug store watches (Timex, and I remember sporting a John Weitz and a Swatch, real rotating display stuff). My first "good" watch was an early Seiko Kinetic Arctura. I wore it for literally three years, I think, after my wife-to-be bought it for me as a present in 1994. Seiks being Seiko, it crapped out - the early capacitors were the Ford Pinto of watch movements - but I always held on to it, as it was the first present I ever received from her. About five years ago, wouldn't you know it - she brought it to a watchmaker here in NYC, who put a new capacitor in it. I still treasure the watch, which now is still running - sure, it was just a $300 watch, but to me, it will always be an all-time favorite.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
constant change

Post by constant change » May 30th 2020, 9:36pm

Temerity8,

There’s something about a watch with sentimental value. There are two others I have that have special meaning. One is a Seiko SQ100 quartz with subdials for a second 24 hour time zone (has its own crown at 9:00), the date, the day, and moonphase. I bought it when I got a job as an insurance adjuster in the late 80s. It’s small by today’s standards, maybe 34mm, and the dial is blue. I recently had it sized to my wife’s wrist and she’s been wearing it a couple days per week.
The other is a titanium Tissot quartz. My wife has the same watch, but the women’s version. We bought them in October of 1995 on our honeymoon in Jamaica.
If you’ve read this far, you now know more than you ever cared to about the watches that have sentimental value to me.
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » July 19th 2020, 6:14am

constant change wrote:
July 19th 2020, 1:10am
Sadly it only ran for a few days. I talked to the watchmaker and he’s thrown in the towel.
That sucks.

It wouldn't be the same, but maybe your watchmaker could pop in a little Seagull or Miyota so that you could continue to wear it. I have a friend who inherited a watch from his dad with a completely thrashed movement. His watchmaker popped in a replacement and mounted the old one in a movement holder under a small domed glass parts cover. It was very cool looking and made for some cool watch art for his office.
Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.

Return to “Your New Watch”