Another one incoming...

conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Another one incoming...

Post by conjurer » April 20th 2020, 12:47pm

gerdson wrote:
April 20th 2020, 12:46pm
Seiko 5
i Shud half considered That Gerdmilo Butt a Seeko fife Iz knott a Teevee wartche & ass Thus it Izn't knott On my raydar.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » April 20th 2020, 2:10pm

foghorn wrote:
April 20th 2020, 2:00pm
The new one with the new logo?
God, no. Not the faux-SKX.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » April 20th 2020, 2:39pm

smellody wrote:
April 20th 2020, 2:37pm
Butt/arse what colour?

As the Brits say.
Slate. Or, as the French would have it, ardoise.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » April 20th 2020, 2:49pm

Racer-X wrote:
April 20th 2020, 2:43pm
The SNKL23 that Hodonkee made famous!

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/a-se ... lion-bucks

No, not the SNKL23. Oh, and...

...fuck the Donkeys.
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » April 20th 2020, 6:43pm

foghorn wrote:
April 20th 2020, 6:12pm
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
April 20th 2020, 2:10pm
foghorn wrote:
April 20th 2020, 2:00pm
The new one with the new logo?
God, no. Not the faux-SKX.
No-the reasonably sized one with a better movement at a lesser price.
The one I've got on the way is not of the Sports line-up, and is still powered by the old 7S26.
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » April 20th 2020, 8:41pm

foghorn wrote:
April 20th 2020, 6:51pm
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
April 20th 2020, 6:43pm

The one I've got on the way is not of the Sports line-up, and is still powered by the old 7S26.

Thawts and preyers.
Why? These simple 5s aren’t of the fragile variety. MACV-SOG personnel wore them in Vietnam. Hell, my paternal grandfather still has his Seiko 5, which he bought while working in Iraq in 1983 - the state-owned electric company that he worked for was there on a contract for Siemens, building new power lines around and in Baghdad. His Seiko survived engineering works in a hot and dusty environment, even swimming and cycling didn’t have much of an effect on it. And all the time it was worn on its original Seiko ”Fucking Nightmare” jubilee bracelet.
FWIW, it still works.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » April 20th 2020, 9:16pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
April 20th 2020, 8:41pm
foghorn wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:

Thawts and preyers.
Why? These simple 5s aren’t of the fragile variety. MACV-SOG personnel wore them in Vietnam.
6619-8060, 7005-8030 and 6119-8100

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » April 21st 2020, 6:47am

koimaster wrote:
April 20th 2020, 9:16pm
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
April 20th 2020, 8:41pm
foghorn wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:

Thawts and preyers.
Why? These simple 5s aren’t of the fragile variety. MACV-SOG personnel wore them in Vietnam.
6619-8060, 7005-8030 and 6119-8100
Yep. My point is about most 5s of the non-Sports line-up being more durable than they - in theory - should be. Seiko tends to have their watches deliver more than they've promised in the specs.
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » April 21st 2020, 7:50am

Indeed, the 7S26 is the Chevy Small Block V8, to overuse the tired car metaphor. Cheap, simple, not very accurate (although I've owned one or two that came out of the box very accurate indeed), these movements could (and have) run for decades without service. It does have plenty of faults, but with it, Seiko 5ers provided an absurdly cheap gateway for WISs all over the world.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » April 23rd 2020, 3:29pm

Quick update: looks like it's gonna be a long wait. The seller (an authorized Seiko dealer, BTW), used the possibly least convenient option, that being a shipping middleman called B2C. Which means that they pick up parcels once a week, then they're queued to be sent to the final shipping company (DPD, DHL, whatever), and then delivered to the customer.
This sucks cock - it's basically a waiting line to a waiting line to a waiting line, and with the shipping companies currently being busier than during the Christmas season, I predict that the parcel will be stuck at least twice.
B2C is possibly the most hated shipping intermediary, and I haven't seen a single good review of their services. The guy used PostNL and DPD before, wouldn't know why he chose to use B2C out of a sudden.
smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by smellody » April 23rd 2020, 8:13pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
April 23rd 2020, 3:29pm
Quick update: looks like it's gonna be a long wait. The seller (an authorized Seiko dealer, BTW), used the possibly least convenient option, that being a shipping middleman called B2C. Which means that they pick up parcels once a week, then they're queued to be sent to the final shipping company (DPD, DHL, whatever), and then delivered to the customer.
This sucks cock - it's basically a waiting line to a waiting line to a waiting line, and with the shipping companies currently being busier than during the Christmas season, I predict that the parcel will be stuck at least twice.
B2C is possibly the most hated shipping intermediary, and I haven't seen a single good review of their services. The guy used PostNL and DPD before, wouldn't know why he chose to use B2C out of a sudden.
Fuckers
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » April 28th 2020, 11:31am

Quick update: still waiting for the watch. Since the B2C tracking was still showing the package as "ready to ship - prealerted," I asked a Dutch friend of mine (the seller is in the NL) to phone the seller, as I got no reply to my email.
Turns out that the parcel left him a week ago, so B2C lives up to their reputation of being a fucking nuisance, and the B2C tracking is a steaming bucket of fucking shit. Dunno where that parcel is now. Could be delivered tomorrow, or it could well be still bogged down at a B2C warehouse in the Netherlands.
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » May 4th 2020, 1:55pm

OK, so the tracking got updated. After two motherfucking weeks, the parcel only left the B2C Europe warehouse, into the hands of another shipping middleman company that'll get it to PL, and this one's local contractor in PL is...the Polish Post, aka the Snail Mail - known for never delivering anything on time, except the bills. Though sometimes they fail to deliver even that on time.

Fuck B2C Europe, fuck their contractor, and fuck the Snail Mail. If you ever order anything from the NL, make sure that the seller/shop DOES NOT USE B2C EUROPE. B2C Europe is a fucking liability. If my package would have been sent via a civilized shipping company like DHL or DPD, I'd already have my watch for a week now.

Return to “Your New Watch”