Oris Audi Sport, 44.00 mm, Titanium

Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Oris Audi Sport, 44.00 mm, Titanium

Post by Nuvolari » November 27th 2019, 4:24pm

Although I thought it said last Tuesday - it was actually promised to arrive yesterday, and did.

ORIS AUDI SPORT LIMITED EDITION

It’s always difficult for me to resist a motorsports themed chronograph... so when I saw this NOS come around, I resisted no further.

It’s a nifty multi-piece Titanium case with a hard rubber-lined tungsten bezel that is bi-directional with a solidly-engaging 120 clicks available.

The domed sapphire crystal is very much appreciated as I have already banging it into the bonnet of the car - twice - thank heavens without leaving a mark as I would have spouted off such a string of obscenities the neighbors would be sure to complain, again.

Instead, I wiped the area with my greasy finger, exhaled... looked over my shoulder to make sure no one saw me, and then acted like it never happened. (Which is probably why Karma ensured I would turn a pulled dip-stuck toward better light and - BONK- hit the damn watch on the gawddamn car again!)

Maybe that’s because it’s a 44mm case? It wears real lightly and it is the easiest to read chronograph I own... since within that space it includes only 2 subsidiary dials at 12 & 6. The counters, though, have that precise click over, so at 60 seconds, the minutes counter clicks up one minute - and doesn’t move for another minute. (Versus the gradual one-minute “sweep”.)

Applied markers add depth to a sunburst dial - along with the sunken subdials - with red chronograph hands that are easy to read against the dial and add just a pop of colour to keep the dial from becoming too austere in all silver-tone.

It also matches, rather perfectly, the Audi dashboard info color tone...

The signed, threaded crown winds smoothly and solidly with a reassuring mechanical click... (contrasting, for example, the less-than-reassuring feeling of turning the crown of a Rolex Datejust, which feels a lot more like you are winding a friction motor in the wrong direction.).

I particularly like the pushers and the way they engage without monumental effort of the application finger. I have a Porsche Design chronograph that starting a timed event requires you press the pusher with enough force to leave a mark on your finger for 17 minutes and 22 seconds, assuming you have nothing else to time.

And, fine, it’s a gimmick - I know, but I really dig the unusual seconds hand display in a linear “bar graph” that changes from white to red. The movement hacks, so you can still set the time to match accurately with your Atomic G-shock.

The view caseback and red rotor are also two Oris features that drew me in... one of the first automatic chronographs I ever held was a 7750-powered Oris with unidirectional red rotor. This is their own, in-house adaptation on the SW500 they refer to as, ORIS 774. 28.8k vph; 25 jewels, 48hr power reserve, and 100M/10ATM WR.

I absolutely dig this thing! The watch is great in every way - the lume? Superb C3 in greenish blue, lasts into the wee hours.

This model features a very nicely finished Ti deployment buckle, with rose-turning on the hidden interior section, and is attached to a high-quality rally style leather strap that measures 18mm at the buckle and widens up to 22mm at the lugs.

Which brings me to the one, completely inexcusable fault in their finished product: WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH THIS 20.5mm strap - marked ORIS and alleged to be 22mm... but you can see, with the naked eye, the gawddamn spring bar! What the hell man!? It looks ridiculous on Bond’s Submariner on an ill-fitted NATO strap, and it looks ridiculous here. On a watch they seek to command a retail price of $4,100 it is inexcusable. Cheap, even. Like HR-rated tires on an Audi R8, it’s just not right.

BUT, straps are easy to find, so I’ll eventually come across a suitable solution.

Lastly, “limited” to 2000 units - mine is #901, which is completely appropriate for a Porsche fanatic who accommodates Audis in the stable.

So, that’s the news.

Until the Ball gets here Friday... :D
Last edited by Nuvolari on November 27th 2019, 4:43pm, edited 2 times in total.
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Oris Audi Sport, 44.00 mm, Titanium

Post by TemerityB » November 28th 2019, 3:51pm

Oris rocks, and that watch will run forever. Enjoy, man.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster

Return to “Your New Watch”