Did some watch buying in Alaska.

Datsun240Z71 (Online)
Founding Member - WIS

Did some watch buying in Alaska.

Post by Datsun240Z71 » August 16th 2019, 6:43am

My wife and I went on a 3 day land journey and 7 night sea cruise in Alaska recently. We visited Anchorage, Denali, Fairbanks, Seward, Juneau, Haines/Skagway, Ketchikan, the Inner Passage and Vancouver, BC. Getting there and back from Nashville sucked, but overall we had a great time, especially on the less rushed cruise part of the trip.

While there, I was sucked in to buying two new watches... brands I'd heard of but had never seen before in person. I know neither is available locally. The jewelers there (Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan) have some absolutely incredible stuff, and some (like Diamonds International for example... they are the biggest) can be found in the Caribbean after the season in Alaska ends in September or so.

I only have pictures of one to start.

Carl. F. Bucherer PATRAVI SCUBATEC Model # 00.10632.24.33.21
Stainless steel and 18 K rose gold
18 K rose gold/ceramic bezel
Automatic helium valve
Screw-down crown
Sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating on both sides
Water-resistant to 500 m (50 atm)
Diameter 44.6 mm
Height 13.45 mm
MOVEMENT
Automatic CFB 1950.1 caliber Chronometer
Diameter 26.2 mm
Height 4.6 mm
25 jewels
Power reserve 38 hours

Cell phone pics:

The finishing is outstanding, and the micro-adjustable sliding clasp is fantastic. Built like a tank, and the dial and markers are beautiful. Too big for some, but I like it.

The lume lights up all night long too!

Bucherer owns Tourneau now, and they supposedly produce only about 25,000 pieces annually in Switzerland.
Randy in Nashville
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Did some watch buying in Alaska.

Post by MAX » August 16th 2019, 9:35am

Sounds like exactly the same trip we took in the early 2000s. Wasnt into watches then so I didnt shop for any but was rocking a hand held GPS that I played with most of the trip.

Love that C Bucherer and awaiting pics of the UN.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » August 16th 2019, 11:39am

I like that a lot.

The hands and the dial are terrific, man, and the bracelet's substantial enough to look perfect and keep that massive freakin' watch-head on your wrist

Nice catch indeed right down to the clasp- which does look really cool- how 'bout a pic of it open with the pics of the other watch. And maybe the back.

It is amazing how much money there is in a place where that outwardly appears very unlikely. At least in Juneau; I hope you came across the Triangle Lounge while you were there- a little trek on the Mendenhall while it's still there, or whatnot. Sure be something if / when that mountain comes down on the city--- it's hard to believe how they built that joint.
Last edited by 3Flushes on August 16th 2019, 1:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
Copyright ©️ 2019 3flushes Media.

The past is never dead. It isn't even past.- Faulkner
koimaster (Online)
Administrator/Founder

Post by koimaster » August 16th 2019, 2:41pm

Great looking watches. I assume you had to purchase a new Lambo for the lady of the house to be allowed to spend this bundle of shekels.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » August 16th 2019, 2:46pm

Wow, Datsun! Amazing pair.

I tried on a Bucherer Scuba-Tec at one of the watch fairs last year and I became an instant Bucherer fan - it was the first time I had ever gotten to see one up close. Every watch I handled just reeked of quality, and a lot of the styling was right up my alley. It's kind of exciting to see someone here with a new Bucherer - well done, sir!
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
koimaster (Online)
Administrator/Founder

Post by koimaster » August 16th 2019, 2:59pm

TemerityB wrote:
August 16th 2019, 2:46pm
Wow, Datsun! Amazing pair.

I tried on a Bucherer Scuba-Tec at one of the watch fairs last year and I became an instant Bucherer fan - it was the first time I had ever gotten to see one up close. Every watch I handled just reeked of quality, and a lot of the styling was right up my alley. It's kind of exciting to see someone here with a new Bucherer - well done, sir!
:peeece:

1946-2006

Thunder1 (Online)
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » August 16th 2019, 3:00pm

Aye, the Watch Gods are all raising horns filled to the brims w/ their finest ales in salute to your fine acquisitions...I particularly like your UN Diver...I bet you're happier than a blind dog locked in a meat locker..
Last edited by Thunder1 on August 16th 2019, 3:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Datsun240Z71 (Online)
Founding Member - WIS

Post by Datsun240Z71 » August 16th 2019, 3:01pm

koimaster wrote:
August 16th 2019, 2:41pm
Great looking watches. I assume you had to purchase a new Lambo for the lady of the house to be allowed to spend this bundle of shekels.
She did get a gold "flip" ring (reversible) with white and chocolate diamonds on the reverse sides (we'd never seen these either) and an amber necklace...
Randy in Nashville
koimaster (Online)
Administrator/Founder

Post by koimaster » August 16th 2019, 3:08pm

Datsun240Z71 wrote:
August 16th 2019, 3:01pm
koimaster wrote:
August 16th 2019, 2:41pm
She did get a gold "flip" ring (reversible) with white and chocolate diamonds on the reverse sides (we'd never seen these either) and an amber necklace...

Carol used pull that on me too. :awacc: :fdfd:

1946-2006

MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » August 16th 2019, 5:06pm

The coordinates on the dial seem like a wee bit of an overkill, but otherwise, this UN's a really nice watch. I don't know why, but it makes me think of the IWC Aquatimer - only it's prettier.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas

Return to “Your New Watch”