Jaws has awoken

Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Jaws has awoken

Post by Kahuna74 » October 26th 2015, 3:44pm

This is an original 1970's Alsta Nautoscaph diving watch. The watch is Swiss made, has an automatic movement (17 jewels) and these were certified to be water resistant to 30 ATM or 999 ft. The case and bezel are solid stainless steel billet-milled and the crystal is acrilic is considered 'unbreakable' type and is domed in profile, with a reverse cyclops at the three oclock.
The watch is in perfect working order and keeps excellent time. Has been fully serviced, dial and hands are untouched. If you are wondering about the jaws remark. Well this is the watch (same model) as Richard Dreyfus wore in the movie, Jaws. This is a grail for me. These are hard to find and when you do find this model, its not cheap. The bracelet that came with these are also hard to find, and again not cheap. And it is water tiite. Not that I am going diving with it, but nice to know its dust proof and safe to wear in the rain. I have wanted one of these for as far back as I can remember, which seems to be not as far back as I thought. First time I saw it on his wrist in the movie, or the tenth. Here are a few pic's.
Last edited by Kahuna74 on October 26th 2015, 5:59pm, edited 3 times in total.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Re: Jaws has awoken

Post by foghorn » October 26th 2015, 3:56pm

JEEBUS!! That's like the rarest of the rare! I remember it took WIS forever to even figure out what Dreyfus was wearing in the movie!
Find of the year right there.
Watch Noob
Banned

Post by Watch Noob » October 26th 2015, 4:31pm

koimaster wrote:http://wornandwound.com/2013/01/18/watches-on-the-screen-jaws/

Great link Alain thanks for posting. Take a couple minutes and read if you have any interest in how the watch was identified.
biglove
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Post by biglove » October 26th 2015, 4:37pm

Was just looking at photos of movies the other day and had wondered what his watch was!

Congrats and I must say it looks quite good.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Kahuna74 » October 26th 2015, 5:22pm

Watch Noob wrote:
koimaster wrote:http://wornandwound.com/2013/01/18/watches-on-the-screen-jaws/

Great link Alain thanks for posting. Take a couple minutes and read if you have any interest in how the watch was identified.

yes koi, great read. It makes me wonder if my watch is a different year. My bezel looks a little different, than again, it is very worn. Still I am loving this find. thanks all.
hcharles
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 1081120685253371

Post by hcharles » October 27th 2015, 11:24am

Reading the title of this post, I thought it was about Zeta male grifter. :helpp:
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine. Abraham lincoln
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » October 27th 2015, 4:25pm

0The coolness of the watch is only exceeded by the coolness of the story! Nice catch.

I think you'll find the bracelet on a different watch. Some night cruising the web, BAM! There it'll, on some Bulova or whatnot. And when you find it, you'll be a link and a half from being able to wear it. Happy continued hunting.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.^^^
Beau nidle

Post by Beau nidle » November 10th 2015, 6:50am

Fantastic find. Be very aware with the vintage acrylic though - can't find the link right now but was reading an interesting article re waterproofness even when a NOS original acrylic is fitted (this was on a different watch brand, but I expect the principle would still apply). Once they are of a certain age they tend to micro-crack around the edges compromising the water tightness.

But once again, wonderful find and I love the patina - under no circumstances get that polished!
gerdson (Online)
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » March 16th 2021, 5:20am

I am jumping on board here to show off and brag about my latest vintage. Actually I have owned it in a couple of years now, it was one of my "projects"...

In 2014 I bought this:

This is a Wakmann, obviously, but it was built by Alsta on their behalf and labeled as Wakmann "Deepdiver".
It was offered "as is", and I knew it would not be so easy to find a suitable diver ring. Of course It is not so that I spend an hour every on ebay, since, but every once in a while I did a brief search. Finally, in 2019, I found this one:

It is not quite the same like in Kahuna's - it appears the original one is "blank metal", but at least it fits perfectly well. I have seen pictures of Alsta Nautoscaph with black bezel inlays also, but it is unclear if these were aftermarket replacements or original.

No matter, the watch also was due for service, and it took me a while to get that done as well. The watchmaker did on purpose only polish the crystal, but not replace it.

Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Return to “Your New Watch”