Orient "Disc" Rainbow

Tzimisces

Orient "Disc" Rainbow

Post by Tzimisces » December 16th 2012, 2:23pm

I ordered this one from Higuchi as a sort of memorial watch for my son who was killed in August. I searched around just looking to see if anything would strike me, and this new offering from Orient did. My son was an artist who worked with Sharpie pens. The colors are very bright, just like the pens. The hour hand is a cutout in the disc and so changes color with the hours. In the pic you can see a bit of the 11:00 yellow in the corner of the hand cutout. It's 44mm, a bit bigger than I currently like, but it's relatively thin. The bracelet was cheap, so I changed the endlinks and used a Mako bracelet.

bedlam
WIS Divemaster
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Orient "Disc" Rainbow

Post by bedlam » December 16th 2012, 3:22pm

Very sorry to hear you lost your son.

Having the watch to remember him with is a cool idea and that Orient would bring a smile to my face every time I looked at it

Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
Capitalism: a cult that promised to do good for the worst reasons.
Nationalism: a profound longing to go back to a past that never existed.
hcharles
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 1081120685253371

Post by hcharles » December 16th 2012, 5:31pm

Sorry for your loss. Your son was very talented. You chose a nice watch to remember him.
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine. Abraham lincoln
Tzimisces

Post by Tzimisces » December 16th 2012, 6:04pm

Thanks for the kind words.

I see that OWUSA carries this model now. When I ordered it back in late August even Higuchi couldn't get it, I had to wait until mid October.

Unfortunately we have very little of his work. He left a large sketch pad with many unfinished drawings, studies, etc. One full sized one that was unfinished we asked our daughter to finish (coloring in, it was fully outlined). We will get it for Christmas. His drawings were so intricate, pictures within pictures that it was very time consuming for him. He did one for my sisters baby (hanging in his room- "Be the Greatest"). He drew on t-shirts and sneakers for friends so there is some out there, but we have very little. The one in the picture was hanging in our hallway but he took it down and gave it to his sister for Christmas last year. (That's only about a third of it shown)
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT - RETIRED

Post by Horse Feathers » December 16th 2012, 7:56pm

Very cool watch and quite the tribute

Handsome young man, and looks to be quite talented

Condolences for your loss and appreciate you sharing the watch and the story

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
TRU-LYE
Senior Member & WIS

Post by TRU-LYE » December 23rd 2012, 5:51pm

i like how he put the word respect into that piece. kid had skills. most may not understand his work around here but being a part of the hip hop community i can. he was nice from what i can see. do you have any other work of his to share? if im over stepping my boundaries my apologizes to you, but i would really love to see more of his art.
Tzimisces

Post by Tzimisces » December 23rd 2012, 6:21pm

TRU-LYE wrote:i like how he put the word respect into that piece. kid had skills. most may not understand his work around here but being a part of the hip hop community i can. he was nice from what i can see. do you have any other work of his to share? if im over stepping my boundaries my apologizes to you, but i would really love to see more of his art.

I would love to. I'm setting up a new computer but will post some in a bit. Thanks for your interest. We're very proud of him and love to share.

Edit: Here it is.

These two were posted to facebook by friends of his. He made these for them.

A detail from the one he did for my nephew who was born last year. "Be the Greatest".

Here is a better look at the one I posted earlier.

An unfinished one:

And one more of him and a friend. He did the second one above for her. By the way, his name is Oliver. My wife wants me to add that he was struck by a train on August 11, 2012.
TRU-LYE
Senior Member & WIS

Post by TRU-LYE » December 23rd 2012, 7:24pm

Tzimisces wrote:
TRU-LYE wrote:i like how he put the word respect into that piece. kid had skills. most may not understand his work around here but being a part of the hip hop community i can. he was nice from what i can see. do you have any other work of his to share? if im over stepping my boundaries my apologizes to you, but i would really love to see more of his art.

I would love to. I'm setting up a new computer but will post some in a bit. Thanks for your interest. We're very proud of him and love to share.

Edit: Here it is.

These two were posted to facebook by friends of his. He made these for them.

A detail from the one he did for my nephew who was born last year. "Be the Greatest".

Here is a better look at the one I posted earlier.

An unfinished one:

And one more of him and a friend. He did the second one above for her. By the way, his name is Oliver. My wife wants me to add that he was struck by a train on August 11, 2012.
thanks so much for sharing i love seeing great graf art pieces. he was truly talented and nice with his craft i will be showing these to my friends. i can see he put a lot of positive references in his work. you should be very proud. i like the fact that you seem to encourage his artistic expression rather than tell him graf was a waste of time. again sorry for you loss and thank you so much for sharing his work with me. if you don't mind with your permission i would love to share this on my Facebook page.
Tzimisces

Post by Tzimisces » December 23rd 2012, 7:42pm

By all means, feel free to share. As I said, my wife and I are proud of him. Besides, he would definitely approve of sharing art.

We wouldn't ever think of attempting to steer someone's artistic expression. This was his style. His sister paints, she prefers acrylics and water colors. My sister has an art degree. Me? My skills peaked in second grade and have since declined.
My sister's in-laws happened to be friends with a dean at Massachusetts College of Art and at their invitation he agreed to meet with Oliver, look at his portfolio and offer some advice. Besides encouraging him to attend art school, he suggested Oliver switch up and try different mediums. Oliver did try but he was far more comfortable with his Sharpies. It doesn't really come across in photos, but his drawings were very detailed. He couldn't get the effect he wanted with paints. I brought him to the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, where he really connected with, no surprise, Picasso.
Tzimisces

Post by Tzimisces » December 23rd 2012, 8:55pm

TRU-LYE wrote:thanks for your approval should you find anything else please send them my way and i will ad them to his album on my page..

Thanks for your appreciation, it means a lot to my wife and I.

As you know, permanence is not an attribute of graff art. Between that and the fact that he only drew for a few short years, we have very little. In fact we were unaware of the first two. Only after he died were they posted to facebook.
He insisted on white canvas sneakers so he could decorate them himself. He drew on shoes, skateboards and t-shirts for friends. In fact once he asked for new t-shirts a few times within a few weeks. He confessed he was drawing on them and selling them. I told him that I appreciated him being an enterprising fellow, but since I was supplying the shirts I was a partner, or at least a vendor and thus due a cut. He then hit upon the idea of having the customers supply their own shirts.

He left one large unfinished piece. It was fully outlined, but he had only just started coloring it in. My daughter is finishing it. She was worried about doing what he would do, but we told her to just do what she felt was right...for her. For Mom and Dad, having a collaboration piece will be very special indeed. A lot of him with some of her. They were very close. We'll see it tomorrow. I'll post a pic.

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » December 23rd 2012, 10:16pm

Tzimisces wrote:
TRU-LYE wrote:thanks for your approval should you find anything else please send them my way and i will ad them to his album on my page..

Thanks for your appreciation, it means a lot to my wife and I.

As you know, permanence is not an attribute of graff art. Between that and the fact that he only drew for a few short years, we have very little. In fact we were unaware of the first two. Only after he died were they posted to facebook.
He insisted on white canvas sneakers so he could decorate them himself. He drew on shoes, skateboards and t-shirts for friends. In fact once he asked for new t-shirts a few times within a few weeks. He confessed he was drawing on them and selling them. I told him that I appreciated him being an enterprising fellow, but since I was supplying the shirts I was a partner, or at least a vendor and thus due a cut. He then hit upon the idea of having the customers supply their own shirts.

He left one large unfinished piece. It was fully outlined, but he had only just started coloring it in. My daughter is finishing it. She was worried about doing what he would do, but we told her to just do what she felt was right...for her. For Mom and Dad, having a collaboration piece will be very special indeed. A lot of him with some of her. They were very close. We'll see it tomorrow. I'll post a pic.

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas.

Merry Christmas to you as well, brother. I'd hope that I'd be able to show as much grace and class as you when dealing with the loss of somebody so close.

Return to “Your New Watch”