Telling Your Perfume-Soaked Aunt She Looks Hot

Other forum links and links to many blogs and magazines
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Telling Your Perfume-Soaked Aunt She Looks Hot

Post by JAS1125 » November 12th 2019, 6:04am

Mr. Phluff is back :mrgreen:
Like Telling Your Perfume-Soaked Aunt She Looks Hot: The Invicta Pro Diver: It Ain’t That Bad

Yeah, I held my nose while writing that headline, but I can’t deny it. Yes, yes, I know, of course, most Invicta watches are the stuff of immediate derision, and rightfully so. From the company’s preposterous tall tales on home shopping networks (“Russian Divers” or “Flame Fusion crystals,” anyone?), to doing the Swiss tap dance for about a decade, to watches that actually are 50, 55, 60, 65 fucking millimeters wide (sans crowns!), this company, which actually manufactures nothing but farms out their assembly work to countries and companies around the globe, remains the king of actual clown watches, style wise. If for any reason you truly believe a 63mm Inivicta Grand Arsenal somehow looks even remotely normal on your list, we think you have bigger problems than a complete lack of taste and self-awareness.
https://phluffswatchstuff.wordpress.com ... -that-bad/
"Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance"

David Mamet
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Telling Your Perfume-Soaked Aunt She Looks Hot

Post by TemerityB » November 12th 2019, 8:16pm

artman wrote:
November 12th 2019, 4:54pm
I like them better with the cartoon character on the dial
They're good for flying, I've heard.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » November 12th 2019, 11:08pm

Interestingly, many of those who are justifiably angered and horrified by Invicter's Very Numerous mendacities somehow still have a soft spot for the Invicter Pro Divers, usually given the Rolex-ish model name of the 8926. They will often say Well, Invicter's shit now, but back when they made the 8926, they were pretty good homages, and I still wear mine when mowing the lawn/dumpster-diving/jerking off and it still works good.

To each his own; in this thing of ours, I've made plenty of questionable buying/owning decisions, and so not the one to cast the first stone. However, there was a class-action lawsuit not long ago about 8926s not being, you know, water resistant at all, least of all to 200 meters, which companies like Seiko can do at a pretty mundane rate. Mrs. C owns two Mini-Pro-Divers that she likes; I replaced the batteries in both of them, and they were both rated to 200 meters WR. At least one of the Mini-Pro-Divers had no caseback gasket at all--literally nothing between the caseback and the case of the watch, metal on metal, meaning the watch had no WR at all.

I myself have owned two 8926s--or something, because one was a two-tone and one had a black dial, so one was an 8926 and the other was whateverthefuck. One I gave to a young guy I worked with who was moving to Texas, and the last time I talked to him, it was running fine. The other I gave to my degenerate-gambler brother-in-law, back when he wasn't work-shy, as the Brits say, and had a job in health care. He had to wash his hands multiple times a day, and inside of six months had killed his Pro Diver through, I suppose, hand washing, because he wasn't the type of guy to go deep sea diving. I felt bad for him, and gave him a Seiko Monster, which he owned for a long time, and might own still, if he hasn't hocked the fucking thing to keep his knees from being broken by a loanshark.

At any rate, the slightly absurd love for the 8926 I find amusing. Like the king in the fairy story, everything Lalo touches turns to shit. The Pro Diver is no different.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Post by TemerityB » November 14th 2019, 9:10pm

conjurer wrote:
November 12th 2019, 11:08pm
Interestingly, many of those who are justifiably angered and horrified by Invicter's Very Numerous mendacities somehow still have a soft spot for the Invicter Pro Divers, usually given the Rolex-ish model name of the 8926. They will often say Well, Invicter's shit now, but back when they made the 8926, they were pretty good homages, and I still wear mine when mowing the lawn/dumpster-diving/jerking off and it still works good.

To each his own; in this thing of ours, I've made plenty of questionable buying/owning decisions, and so not the one to cast the first stone. However, there was a class-action lawsuit not long ago about 8926s not being, you know, water resistant at all, least of all to 200 meters, which companies like Seiko can do at a pretty mundane rate. Mrs. C owns two Mini-Pro-Divers that she likes; I replaced the batteries in both of them, and they were both rated to 200 meters WR. At least one of the Mini-Pro-Divers had no caseback gasket at all--literally nothing between the caseback and the case of the watch, metal on metal, meaning the watch had no WR at all.

I myself have owned two 8926s--or something, because one was a two-tone and one had a black dial, so one was an 8926 and the other was whateverthefuck. One I gave to a young guy I worked with who was moving to Texas, and the last time I talked to him, it was running fine. The other I gave to my degenerate-gambler brother-in-law, back when he wasn't work-shy, as the Brits say, and had a job in health care. He had to wash his hands multiple times a day, and inside of six months had killed his Pro Diver through, I suppose, hand washing, because he wasn't the type of guy to go deep sea diving. I felt bad for him, and gave him a Seiko Monster, which he owned for a long time, and might own still, if he hasn't hocked the fucking thing to keep his knees from being broken by a loanshark.

At any rate, the slightly absurd love for the 8926 I find amusing. Like the king in the fairy story, everything Lalo touches turns to shit. The Pro Diver is no different.
Well, of course. I guess the only saving grace is the price point. I swear, I saw blue-faced Invicta Pro Divers in one of the area Burlington Coat Factory stores for freakin' $35.

Didn't buy one, but that's me. I feel the way you do - not a penny to mendacity.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster

Return to “Blogs, Watch Magazines & other sites”