Formality of Milanese Mesh straps

Straps, bracelets and parts
PiningforElgin
Facebook ID: 0

Formality of Milanese Mesh straps

Post by PiningforElgin » July 2nd 2017, 11:47pm

I'm familiar with the perception that leather bands are more appropriate for more formal appearances and occasions than metal bracelets. But what about milanese/mesh straps? They are as thin and subdued as leather bands but do have the metallic shiny factor as bracelets. What's its status in the different levels of attire formality?
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: Formality of Milanese Mesh straps

Post by TemerityB » July 3rd 2017, 8:22am

You bastards. I own no mesh. These look great. Now I have something else to focus on.

You bastards.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » July 3rd 2017, 5:02pm

PiningforElgin wrote:Is the moustache wax part sarcasm? Never used it so not sure if it's good or not haha

Btw is this a pre or post Fossil Zodiac? It does look stunning to me

I was being sarcastic.

The Oceanaire is pre-Fossil.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
PiningforElgin

Post by PiningforElgin » July 3rd 2017, 5:39pm

bedlam wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:Is the moustache wax part sarcasm? Never used it so not sure if it's good or not haha

Btw is this a pre or post Fossil Zodiac? It does look stunning to me

I was being sarcastic.

The Oceanaire is pre-Fossil.

Got it, I have no mustache and don't care what men with them do with them so didn't get the reference
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » July 3rd 2017, 6:37pm

I generally avoid bracelets (spare for one Atlantic that I have, where the bracelet is vital to the design of the watch), be it mesh or anything else. Some designs get along well with a mesh, some don't... I wouldn't call it a Jessie boy bracelet as such. Again, it's all about the design. There are ghey watches on ghey mesh bracelets, and non-ghey watches on a non-ghey mesh.

Regarding the use of a mesh in a dress watch, a lot of 1960s and 1970s dress watches, by almost unknown brands and the famous high-end makers like Patek and VC alike, were sold on a mesh bracelet, sometimes an integrated one. If I could get my hands one one of these, I certainly would, without hesitation. But generally, a leather strap goes slightly better with a formal attire. Not that a bracelet (any bracelet) can't, a dress watch with a leather strap does not really spark any debate in terms of whether it's OK for formal wear or not. That said, while I won't be making a judgement about whether a mesh is dressy or not, I'll say that a leather strap isn't as much a better option, as it is the safer one, should one really care so much about "what will the people say." Personally, I'd wear a vintage dress watch with an integrated mesh (or if the bracelet is detachable, but original to the watch) to a formal attire.
Last edited by MKTheVintageBloke on July 3rd 2017, 7:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » July 3rd 2017, 6:45pm

You blokes are all a bunch of Nancys. Only a plank cock would weer a mesh straps you fucks. All the boys in my regiment weer Gee-shocks and theyre all dead butch the pillocks.

Kind Regards, Dirtbox.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » July 3rd 2017, 6:48pm

bedlam wrote:Mesh can be sexy as hell. Especially on a guy using a good amount of moustache wax 8-)

That Zodies the ducks guts you fucking cock.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » July 4th 2017, 8:19am

AJC wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:I generally avoid bracelets

You and biglove should have a steel cage death match.

I am a lover, not a fighter. We could; however, burn the heretic at the stake? ;)
"When things are at their darkest, pal, it's a brave man that can kick back and party." - Lt. Tuck Pendleton, Innerspace

Return to “Watch Straps”