Fight Against Magnetism

This forum is for Horology and the art of watchmaking
koimaster
Founder

Fight Against Magnetism

Post by koimaster » April 13th 2020, 3:37pm

Magnetism has been the mechanical timekeeping’s nemesis through the years. It is to the mechanical watch what Prof. Moriarty is to Sherlock Holmes. Though the watch industry has responded to this threat with many innovations through the years, we’ve always been asked this question by readers and budding watch enthusiasts: just how real is the threat of magnetic fields in our daily lives?

Before we set out to answer that questions, let’s examine what happens to a mechanical watch when it is exposed to a magnetic field. The simple truth is that certain parts of the escapement like the balance wheel and hairspring, become magnetized upon such exposure. For example, the concentric circles of the hairspring may bunch together, thus leading to friction. This could ultimately affect the escapement’s amplitude and accuracy. In most cases, once the magnetic field is removed, the watch might start running as normal again but in the case of a particularly strong magnetic field, it may stop working altogether.

In 1915, Vacheron Constantin created an anti-magnetic pocketwatch and in 1930, Tissot produced its first amagnetic watches. In both cases, palladium was used in the construction of the escapement.

https://www.watchtime.com/featured/a-br ... 728bd6f117

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Fight Against Magnetism

Post by conjurer » April 13th 2020, 6:43pm

foghorn wrote:
April 13th 2020, 6:04pm
In all my years of owning watches magnetism has never been an issue. I believe it to be a myth propagated by WUS to explain why perfectly functioning movements don't meet COSC specs.
this Iz beecooze Ewe don't Knott werk in A hi megmatizm Envryromant lyke Tomas alva Tezler.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
gerdson
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Fight Against Magnetism

Post by gerdson » April 13th 2020, 8:04pm

svaglic wrote:
April 13th 2020, 5:22pm
conjurer wrote:
April 13th 2020, 5:10pm
I thought this would be a thread about Mongo!
That would be maggotism.
:chump:
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Return to “The Art of Time”