WatchBase blog and database

This forum is for Horology and the art of watchmaking
koimaster
Founder

WatchBase blog and database

Post by koimaster » January 14th 2016, 4:07pm

What is WatchBase?

Good question. But an even better question is: "What is WatchBase going to be? Well, here's the plan:

WatchBase is going to be the ultimate online watch database, the go-to site for finding full details on any watch, with a focus on high-end mechanical watches.

And with full details, we mean FULL details.
Here's an example details page for the Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch Apollo 11 40th Anniversary. Description, images, production years, limited edition info, dimensions, full specs about the case and the details. Plus all properties for the caliber used.

An ambitious plan, we admit. But the WatchBase team is ready for it!
Speaking of which...

Who is WatchBase?

This is the WatchBase team:

•Alwin Hoogerdijk (founder): Alwin is the man behind Collectorz.com, a company specialized in creating large online databases and software to access them, for web, desktop and mobile. A watch lover and collector himself, Alwin decided to use his own online marketing experience and his team's technical abilities on the world of watches.

•Alon Ben Joseph (founder): Alon is one of the owners of Ace Jewelers, with 3 brick-and-mortar watch and jewelry stores and a successful online shop. Alon is crazy about watches, jewelry, diamonds, internet and entrepreneurship.

•Dale Vito Boom (watch expert): Dale is the original founder of the watch board Dezinvanluxe.nl (now sold), author of the SpeedyWatches.com blog and currently working as eCommerce manager at Ace Jewelers. Dale is a serious watch collector too, a "watch nerd" even, with a preference for Rolex and Omega SpeedMaster.

•Dion Bosschieter (web developer): Dion is working at Alwin's company as a web-developer. Dion has a broad knowledge of, and experience with, all things internet, his main expertise being the creation of fast and responsive websites. At WatchBase he is responsible for the server infrastructure, database back-end, in-house CMS tools and the WatchBase website.

http://watchbase.com/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

WatchBase: Caliber Reference Chart

Post by TemerityB » May 23rd 2017, 11:26am

I had never heard of this site before, but while referencing a Hamilton watch, I found this site's chart that has this reference page for movements for most major brands. The nice thing about it is that is references the base calibers as part of the information.

http://watchbase.com/calibers
The Best Invicta Ever is: The ones you used to own. - Boscoe
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: WatchBase: Caliber Reference Chart

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » May 23rd 2017, 4:20pm

It is a really good resource indeed- especially useful when a manufacturer assigns their own calibre number to a generic movement (to make the fact of it being a generic movement less obvious- almost as if that fact was something to conceal!). They usually have the tech specs fairly well detailed (often more detailed than on the watch manufacturer's website).

One time that I found it disappointing, was when they either helped Omega in putting up a smokescreen, or fell for a red herring in a truly spectacular way. Before this year's Baselworld, they published an entry for the new Speedmaster 60th anniversary limited edition. Long story short, they have listed it as bearing the nickname "Panda", which already got some people giddy (at least the WUS Omega forum got all too excited). Well, obviously, no panda-dialed Speedy was released. That said, creating an entry for a watch before it was actually released, that was a bit of a cock-up.
One other thing is that they don't see the Unitas in Maurice Lacroix "manufacture" movements.

Then again, I've found their info useful more than often, and I do consider them a credible resource.
I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst.
Elim Garak, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

No good deed ever goes unpunished.
Rule of Acquisition no.285
koimaster
Founder

Meet (And Use) WatchBase F

Post by koimaster » April 30th 2018, 8:41am

Finally a source that put a lot of effort into documenting as many watch movements as possible. Base calibers, but also calibers based on an existing movement. Also movements that are dubbed an internal brand caliber while they are actually based on a third party movement. WatchBase is a reliable source for information about watch movements. Over 20.000 unique watches are documented, and more than 2.000 unique movements, down to the nitty gritty.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/watchbase/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."

Return to “The Art of Time”