THE PX WATCHES OF VIETNAM:

koimaster
Administrator/Founder
Facebook ID: 100000918104351

THE PX WATCHES OF VIETNAM:

Post by koimaster » April 17th 2018, 10:55pm

THE PX WATCHES OF VIETNAM: A SURVEY OF NON-ISSUED, POPULAR MILITARY WATCHES OF THE VIETNAM WAR
APRIL 17, 2018 WORDS BY OREN HARTOV

Though case back markings and the famous “broad arrow” are sure to get military watch collectors’ hearts racing, there exist myriad military watches that aren’t necessarily known as such because they were never issued by the military—rather, they were purchased by soldiers at the local PX.

The PX, or “post exchange,” is a type of retail store featured on U.S. military installations for use by soldiers and sailors (technically “post exchange” is a term specific to the Army, but for the purposes of this article we will simply use the term “PX”). These exchanges, originally established as trading posts in the 19th century, offer the enlisted soldier or officer everything he or she could possibly need—from cigarettes and electronics to toothpaste, sneakers, and clothing—while stationed on base either domestically or in a foreign country.

During the Vietnam War, many of these PXs sold both Swiss and Asian-made watches, and prices were often significantly lower than what they were in a civilian store back home. As many soldiers weren’t issued watches by the government or wanted something tougher than the watch they brought with them from the States, they turned to these PXs while on leave to find a quality timepiece.

http://wornandwound.com/the-px-watches- ... etnam-war/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: THE PX WATCHES OF VIETNAM:

Post by Mark1 » April 17th 2018, 11:22pm

Unfortunately, no deals to be had at the PX nowadays. They sell mainly crap from what I have seen at AAFES.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Post by koimaster » April 17th 2018, 11:42pm

I had a benrus 113 that i picked up from my ncoic after losing my old hamilton dad gave me. That was Udorn which was just a few clicks from NKP.

1946-2006

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » April 18th 2018, 8:11am

One time an older guy came into my old store in Lakewood, dressed in a nice blazer, slacks and a tie, and with his 1960's haircut, dapper appearance and wrap-around sunglasses looked a lot like the actor Craig Stevens of Peter Gunn fame. He was wearing a well-worn Zodie Sea-Wolf, which as announced him as a Vietnam vet at least as well as any baseball cap or campaign ribbon badge. Nice guy, too.
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Post by koimaster » April 18th 2018, 9:43am

Mark1 wrote:Unfortunately, no deals to be had at the PX nowadays. They sell mainly crap from what I have seen at AAFES.

I just logged into the site and they do offer a "watch guide" :D I just compared prices on some hamiltons and Jomashop is much cheaper in price.

1946-2006

Mark1

Post by Mark1 » April 18th 2018, 9:50am

koimaster wrote:
Mark1 wrote:Unfortunately, no deals to be had at the PX nowadays. They sell mainly crap from what I have seen at AAFES.

I just logged into the site and they do offer a "watch guide" :D I just compared prices on some hamiltons and Jomashop is much cheaper in price.

They might have more stuff available online, but I don't think they do enough volume to offer competitive prices. Last time I checked in the case at JBLM exchange there wasn't even anything I wanted to look at. I remember a time 20 years or so ago when they actually carried brands you've heard of. There was a guy in my Reserve wing probably 20 years ago now who tried to generate enough interest to get a deal on a number of Omega ana-digis. He didn't get enough guys interested to close the deal and I seem to remember the price then was over a thousand bucks.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: The PX Watches of Vietnam

Post by koimaster » August 18th 2019, 8:35am

bbattle wrote:
August 18th 2019, 5:12am
My dad had a Seiko automatic that he bought in Hong Kong during the war. When you 'wound' it, you could really feel that wheel or whatever going around inside. The automatics that I have now have a barely noticeable movement when I shake them.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=41423

1946-2006

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: The PX Watches of Vietnam

Post by conjurer » August 18th 2019, 8:59am

foghorn wrote:
July 2nd 2019, 6:49pm
Rolex might have been available at some PX but I doubt many saw action.
Kernal curts Wor juan in Kambodier amung the Humougus peeple GODAM it.
My little brain can't even comprehend how deep that is.

--beefsupreme, commenting on his super rare Deep Blue wartche

**(@
MAX

Post by MAX » August 18th 2019, 11:29am

Our BX had very few watches and truthfully I dont remember what they were. I bought a Timex in 1964 that lasted me over 4 years. The guys I worked with from 1968 on mostly brought back Seikos for 'Nam and were snobs about them. Guess we were all too poor to take advantage of any buys then or they were reserved for the Officers. That or they spent all their cash on LBFMs.
"If You Think This Has A Happy Ending, You Haven't Been Paying Attention."

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Post by koimaster » August 18th 2019, 3:44pm

MAX wrote:
August 18th 2019, 11:29am
Our BX had very few watches and truthfully I dont remember what they were. I bought a Timex in 1964 that lasted me over 4 years. The guys I worked with from 1968 on mostly brought back Seikos for 'Nam and were snobs about them. Guess we were all too poor to take advantage of any buys then or they were reserved for the Officers. That or they spent all their cash on LBFMs.
I had a gruen for awhile, a timex and last watch was a discarded hammy from the ncoic. Have not heard the term LBFM in a long time. A certain fake aviator would probably claim to have flown one in Iraq without knowing what it really meant.

1946-2006

Return to “Military Type or Style Watches”