the magic in the words marina-militaire

Post Reply
User avatar
koimaster
Founder
Posts: 41381
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon, Thanks for visiting! Now go back home!
Contact:

the magic in the words marina-militaire

Post by koimaster » August 15th 2016, 6:31pm

Beyond the fabled 1993 ref. 5128/202 A and the 1999 PAM 36B, there are a total of four other modern watches that have worn the words ‘Marina Militare’ on their dials. Each of them is interesting in a certain way. For instance, the 2005 PAM 217 Destro represents a large milestone in Panerai design. The 2010 PAM 339 was a major achievement in case-material innovation that was not without its initial challenges. And finally the 2015 PAM 587, which has become the darling of the Panerai-collecting scene, could well be one of the most beautiful Panerais ever made. But before we look at each of these, let’s discuss a watch that represented a highly unique aesthetic execution.


https://www.revolution.watch/the-magic- ... -militare/
Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
biglove
Watchlord WIS
Posts: 14135
Joined: October 27th 2013, 9:18am
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Deep South
Contact:

Re: the magic in the words marina-militaire

Post by biglove » August 15th 2016, 8:09pm

IMHO, Panerai is the single most overrated brand in all of horology.

Built on oversized cases with minimal changes between models and at stupid prices.

We would laugh if they had "Invicta" on the dial.
"I always complain because I'm old now and everything hurts."-Mike Rowe
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time
Posts: 10652
Joined: December 25th 2009, 11:00pm

Re: the magic in the words marina-militaire

Post by eddiea » August 16th 2016, 5:16am

IMHO, Panerai is the single most overrated brand in all of horology.
Most brands are "overrated" these days......

Built on oversized cases with minimal changes between models and at stupid prices.
Most brands have minimal changes (if any) between models and stupid prices , think Rolex as an example...unlike other fashion wannabes, there is a reason for Panerai "oversized cases" as the current Co. pay homage the original historical models that were, take a guess..... "oversized", aside from that cushion cases are one of the the sexiest cases ever produced , is a matter of personal taste

We would laugh if they had "Invicta" on the dial.
"We" are way too many people, when I compare watches/ Invicta never comes to mind but, if they start making a watch with a nice cushion case and decent quality , I'll be buying one for sure
User avatar
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Posts: 16876
Joined: June 12th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: the magic in the words marina-militaire

Post by TemerityB » August 16th 2016, 7:30am

"THE MAGIC IN THE WORDS ‘MARINA MILITARE’"

I honestly have no opinion about Panerai or Marina Militare; I don't like the style, so I don't pay them any mind. Far from me to piss on anyone's corn flakes (though my wife wouldn't mind me owning one, I just have no interest).

That being noted: That's the gheyest headline in the history of horology. It makes conj's "thick, ropey boners" read like Faulkner.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
User avatar
biglove
Watchlord WIS
Posts: 14135
Joined: October 27th 2013, 9:18am
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Deep South
Contact:

Re: the magic in the words marina-militaire

Post by biglove » August 16th 2016, 8:25am

eddiea wrote:IMHO, Panerai is the single most overrated brand in all of horology.
Most brands are "overrated" these days......

Built on oversized cases with minimal changes between models and at stupid prices.
Most brands have minimal changes (if any) between models and stupid prices , think Rolex as an example...unlike other fashion wannabes, there is a reason for Panerai "oversized cases" as the current Co. pay homage the original historical models that were, take a guess..... "oversized", aside from that cushion cases are one of the the sexiest cases ever produced , is a matter of personal taste

We would laugh if they had "Invicta" on the dial.
"We" are way too many people, when I compare watches/ Invicta never comes to mind but, if they start making a watch with a nice cushion case and decent quality , I'll be buying one for sure


Damnit! This is no place for reasonable discourse! ;)
"I always complain because I'm old now and everything hurts."-Mike Rowe
iwasbanned
Master of Time
Posts: 6071
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Re: the magic in the words marina-militaire

Post by iwasbanned » August 16th 2016, 8:54am

biglove wrote:IMHO, Panerai is the single most overrated brand in all of horology.
Built on oversized cases with minimal changes between models and at stupid prices.
We would laugh if they had "Invicta" on the dial.


What do you consider makes them overrated? I think Panerai is one of those brands that's cool to hate because it has been associated with douchebags in the past, but I don't think I believe Invicta could ever pull this off.

    8 day power reserve with linear indicator
    Independent Hour hand
    GMT
    Day/Night Indicator
    Seconds reset device
    Date
    A look that is sexy AF
Image
Image
User avatar
biglove
Watchlord WIS
Posts: 14135
Joined: October 27th 2013, 9:18am
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Deep South
Contact:

Re: the magic in the words marina-militaire

Post by biglove » August 16th 2016, 11:56am

Great tech, IWB, but every damned one of them looks the same to me. At least Rolex, Omega and to a somewhat lesser degree, Breitling, offer different models and case designs.

I could look at a collection of twenty Panerais and barring dial colors, they are essentially the same watch case of different sizes. And the prices, hell no!

To me it is what Omega would be if they only sold Moon Watches. Yeah, there are subtle differences; but, damn!
"I always complain because I'm old now and everything hurts."-Mike Rowe
User avatar
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS
Posts: 6807
Joined: June 22nd 2015, 4:55am
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Texas Hill Country near Austin
Contact:

Re: the magic in the words marina-militaire

Post by Thunder1 » August 16th 2016, 12:32pm

iwasbanned wrote:
biglove wrote:IMHO, Panerai is the single most overrated brand in all of horology.
Built on oversized cases with minimal changes between models and at stupid prices.
We would laugh if they had "Invicta" on the dial.


What do you consider makes them overrated? I think Panerai is one of those brands that's cool to hate because it has been associated with douchebags in the past, but I don't think I believe Invicta could ever pull this off.

    8 day power reserve with linear indicator
    Independent Hour hand
    GMT
    Day/Night Indicator
    Seconds reset device
    Date
    A look that is sexy AF
Image
Image


It would look much cooler on my wrist... 8-)
Image
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
iwasbanned
Master of Time
Posts: 6071
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Re: the magic in the words marina-militaire

Post by iwasbanned » August 16th 2016, 1:01pm

biglove wrote:Great tech, IWB, but every damned one of them looks the same to me. At least Rolex, Omega and to a somewhat lesser degree, Breitling, offer different models and case designs.

I could look at a collection of twenty Panerais and barring dial colors, they are essentially the same watch case of different sizes. And the prices, hell no!

To me it is what Omega would be if they only sold Moon Watches. Yeah, there are subtle differences; but, damn!


Looking the same is a very fair critique and I would agree with you on it for the most part. I don't know that that alone qualifies them as overrated. Actually I don't even know that they are "highly rated" to be overrated. Any hoot, the 233 is 44mm and this beast is 47, to me they are different enough to coexist in my collection:

Image
Image
User avatar
svaglic (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Posts: 4943
Joined: November 30th 2010, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: California
Contact:

Re: the magic in the words marina-militaire

Post by svaglic » August 16th 2016, 1:24pm

I like them and their history, I could never pull one off, but I enjoy seeing them on the wrists of others. Sly's boost helped them out in getting their name more known, but they always offered a good watch. Their history with Rolex is one that other watch companies would kill for.
You can have brains or you can have beauty, but you can’t have all three.
User avatar
Hawk
ASSHAT
Posts: 10165
Joined: October 8th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: the magic in the words marina-militaire

Post by Hawk » August 16th 2016, 1:27pm

iwasbanned wrote:What do you consider makes them overrated? I think Panerai is one of those brands that's cool to hate because it has been associated with douchebags in the past, but I don't think I believe Invicta could ever pull this off.

    8 day power reserve with linear indicator
    Independent Hour hand
    GMT
    Day/Night Indicator
    Seconds reset device
    Date
    A look that is sexy AF


Well if you put it that way it provides some context.

Now it's a smooth 45,000.00 less than the Seiko 8-day spring drive and only 3,000.00 more than the Chr. Ward C9 5-day.

I notice the triple barrel trick is the same tech deployed on the spring drive.
Image
iwasbanned
Master of Time
Posts: 6071
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Re: the magic in the words marina-militaire

Post by iwasbanned » August 16th 2016, 1:58pm

svaglic wrote:I like them and their history, I could never pull one off, but I enjoy seeing them on the wrists of others. Sly's boost helped them out in getting their name more known, but they always offered a good watch. Their history with Rolex is one that other watch companies would kill for.


The Panerai of today does have at least a tenous tie to it's former self. And yes, Sly did help them out quite a bit, but he is part of the reason many consider tehm overrated.

A former Italian naval officer and engineer, Dino Zei, became the first non-Panerai to lead the company since its 1860 inception. From 1972 through the early 1990s, Zei directed the company to focus on remaining opportunities in the fields of dive tools, aerospace components, and radio equipment. With the exception of prototyping several pioneering titanium dive models, watchmaking activities effectively ceased.

1993 marked the dawn of the modern era for Officine Panerai. Having assumed that name during the early Zei era, the one-time watchmaker realized that its military legacy could secure it a niche in the resurgent market for upscale mechanical watches. Having witnessed Rolex’s emergence on the strength of its dive models, Panerai raided its back catalog of tactical products and prototypes to deliver the first branded consumer watches in the firm’s 133-year history.
User avatar
tiktok

Re: the magic in the words marina-militaire

Post by tiktok » August 16th 2016, 4:20pm

Vintage Pre-Vs are awesome, today's watches look pretty cool if you separate them from who is often wearing them. Definitely overpriced for a brand that has no legacy of in-house manufacture and barely decorates their movements. Personally I think a pink gold Radiomir looks pretty amazing on the wrist but would put such funds elsewhere into a brand with cooler technology or classic simplicity.
Post Reply

Return to “Officine Panerai”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests