Currently on display at Harrod's.....

svaglic (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Currently on display at Harrod's.....

Post by svaglic » September 24th 2014, 11:23pm

biglove wrote:Am I the only WL around here who just finds Panerai overrated?

Have never held one I. The metal but they just strike me as overly large, boring and uninspired.

Although too large for me, name another brand that has stayed truer to their roots. They fascinate me, their history of creating watches used by "frogmen" in WWI and II is very interesting. These watches had a great reputation and didn't let these brave men down. That is a cool factor that is hard to match.
You can have brains or you can have beauty, but you can’t have all three.
hcharles
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 1081120685253371

Post by hcharles » September 25th 2014, 12:19am

At first I thought that they were overhyped and overblown. Now I see the brand, as being a legitimate heir to watch history. However, with my limited purchasing power, I will simply marvel at them from afar.
Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine. Abraham lincoln
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by eddiea » September 25th 2014, 12:47am

jason_recliner wrote:Occasionally I think I get it. But then it goes away.

Occasionally I think the same thing, recently I was close (very close)....but since I prefer pre-Vendome (and before p-V) that usually require a small fortune to obtain, I had second thoughts, next best choice (for me) are the historical homages... ;)
Last edited by eddiea on September 25th 2014, 4:51am, edited 2 times in total.
biglove (Online)
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Post by biglove » September 25th 2014, 1:16am

svaglic wrote:
biglove wrote:Am I the only WL around here who just finds Panerai overrated?

Have never held one I. The metal but they just strike me as overly large, boring and uninspired.

Although too large for me, name another brand that has stayed truer to their roots. They fascinate me, their history of creating watches used by "frogmen" in WWI and II is very interesting. These watches had a great reputation and didn't let these brave men down. That is a cool factor that is hard to match.

Touché! I might feel differently if ever I actually laid my hands on one.

This was certainly true with the Breitling SO. I had believed it to be something of great design and quality...until I tried one on. Was quite disappointed, largely due to the rubber inlaid bezel.

If Juan wishes to send me one of his for my new article series, "How Good Can it Be?" I will gladly wear it and review! ;)
"I always complain because I'm old now and everything hurts."-Mike Rowe
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by eddiea » September 25th 2014, 3:23am

biglove wrote:Am I the only WL around here who just finds Panerai overrated? Have never held one I. The metal but they just strike me as overly large, boring and uninspired.

Don't know if you are the only one, but it the fact that you find Panerai overly large, boring and uninspired is most likely do to the fact that you have never held one.

Return to “Officine Panerai”