Mr. Bloke's Guide to Omega 2019 Novelties

MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Mr. Bloke's Guide to Omega 2019 Novelties

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » May 18th 2019, 11:58am

I believe I did something similar for this year's SIHH, so now that Omega isn't present on any of the two major fairs, and has announced its novelties for this year, I believe it's time to praise what needs praise, and give a walloping to what deserves a walloping. That said, let's get on with it, shall we?

Speedmaster 50th Anniversary LE
So, Omega has made a lot of hints, and thus, something of a promise of something big coming up. There was to be a revival of the cal.321, and because that was the movement in the Speedies worn by the Apollo 11 astronauts, it would be very fitting to use it in something special... Well, to those who expected Omega to deliver something cool for the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 mission and the Moon landing, Omega has shown this:

...by releasing this:

The first thing that stands out, is that the dial has an idiotic hour marker at 11, and on the seconds subdial, Buzz Aldrin shows his arse to whoever looks at the watch. Nice. The watch would look really cool, if not for some oaf's idea to fuck it up with just two details.

Oh, and the movement inside is the 3861, a co-axial version of the 1861.

New Seamaster Diver 300m models

Omega has decided to update the SM chrono. OK, that's nice. They did so by blowing it up to 44mm. Not so nice. OK, now it has the in-house cal.9900 inside, but they could get it into a smaller package...
The base version looks nice:

...but Omega decided to also release a version for those, who genuinely look for something gaudy!

Wait, wait, where do we know this colourway from? Well...from this:

Additionally, if you want the non-chrono SMP300 in a "Junior Oligarch" version, Omega is happy to deliver that as well:

And if you felt like there's a white dial version of the SMP missing from the line-up, well, it no longer is:

More Planet Ocean versions
This year, the theme of the Planet Ocean novelties is "cock." That's because you'll say "oh, cock", when you see how revolting they are. An already not particularly useful bezel has been made useless by making it...glossy orange!
And in case you'd want to go all "complete and utter cock", Omega will offer it to you on a colourful GHEYTO strap:

However, if you're such a cock that this is not "cock" enough for you, Omega has this almost 46mm chrono, for a complete utter cock wanting to compensate for having a small cock, who wants a watch that'll make him say "oh, cock!"

Aqua Terra Worldtimer
Now, while this watch is 43mm, it genuinely gives me a hard-on. The most recent Aqua Terra was somewhat unexciting. This, however, is exciting:

Though in case you'd want something gaudy, but not completely "in your face!" kind of gaudy, just less blingy than a Rolex Sky-Dweller, there is also an all-gold version:

Globemaster Annual Calendar
A not-particularly-liked version of the Globemaster just got an update, that "update" being a black dial. That's it:
...and that's it for the Globemaster.

Some new Tresors
As they do apparently every year now, they gave the De Ville Tresor a new dial. Not bad, if you ask me.

And then they did a not-very-Tresor Tresor, because unlike any Tresor ever, it's in stainless steel:
Not bad, not bad at all.

That's it for Omega novelties for 2019. Mr.Bloke out.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
TemerityB (Online)
ASSHAT

Re: Mr. Bloke's Guide to Omega 2019 Novelties

Post by TemerityB » May 18th 2019, 7:22pm

Even though the Globemasters pretty much crapped the bed when they were first issued - the earliest ones from 2015, IMHO, were just about perfect for my own style sensibility, and built like tanks to boot. I'd rather look for a leftover one of those than this new one.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » May 18th 2019, 7:30pm

TemerityB wrote:Even though the Globemasters pretty much crapped the bed when they were first issued - the earliest ones from 2015, IMHO, were just about perfect for my own style sensibility, and built like tanks to boot. I'd rather look for a leftover one of those than this new one.

The original Globemasters remain as they were. The annual calendar version already got flak when it was released, and remains pretty much unpopular. Dunno why they decided to update this one, instead of, for example, adding more dial versions to the basic Globemaster line-up.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Pubbie » May 20th 2019, 3:36am

Mostly vast, shiny gash. Per various reviews that are now appearing, the simple Trésor three-hander looks nice, but not distinguished for the ten or twenty grand they're going to ask for it, and I can't get a handle on a watch named partly after shampoo, and partly after a Seiko
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » May 20th 2019, 11:37am

Pubbie wrote:Mostly vast, shiny gash. Per various reviews that are now appearing, the simple Trésor three-hander looks nice, but not distinguished for the ten or twenty grand they're going to ask for it, and I can't get a handle on a watch named partly after shampoo, and partly after a Seiko

The steel Tresor costs 6 000 CHF, which is 5 950 USD, and that's 4 677 quid. The first Tresor series was introduced at the very end of the 1940s, way before Seiko made a name for itself. Unless Seiko and the shampoo were named after the original Tresor of the 1940s, there's quite no relation between the names.

Return to “Omega”