OMEGA De Ville Prestige Co-Axial Review

MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: OMEGA De Ville Prestige Co-Axial Review

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » October 23rd 2021, 12:34pm

Saw it in the metal some time ago. Frankly, nothing special. It's certainly a lovely watch, but for the money it just doesn't really offer enough. Unless someone really loves the way it looks and it is enough to them.
I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst.
Elim Garak, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

No good deed ever goes unpunished.
Rule of Acquisition no.285
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » October 23rd 2021, 3:48pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
October 23rd 2021, 12:34pm
Saw it in the metal some time ago. Frankly, nothing special. It's certainly a lovely watch, but for the money it just doesn't really offer enough. Unless someone really loves the way it looks and it is enough to them.
Agreed. You seem to really be paying for the brand name at the entry level of the mainstream luxury brands. Probably to get you in to the door and then tempt you to step up to the real deal.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » October 23rd 2021, 6:50pm

koimaster wrote:
October 23rd 2021, 5:47pm
Image Image

Daughter pushing to get one of the above
These always look really beat up. Did Breitling use soft steel for the bezels? Look at the bezel engraving.

If it thinks, it stinks
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » October 23rd 2021, 7:37pm

jason_recliner wrote:
October 23rd 2021, 3:48pm
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
Agreed. You seem to really be paying for the brand name at the entry level of the mainstream luxury brands. Probably to get you in to the door and then tempt you to step up to the real deal.
Quite so. I'd say that goes up from roughly the Longines/TAG Heuer to the IWC tier. IMO, there's a massive disproportion between the TAG Formula 1 stuff and the Carrera, Monaco and others. I saw some Carreras and the Autavia chrono - impressive. I saw the Formula 1 - yeah, nice, but not even close.
Longines? Same disproportion... If you put a Presence next to a Master Collection piece, a Record, let alone a Spirit - there's really nothing in the Presence that could really prompt one to buy it, except the winged hourglass on the dial. OK, the L888 in the auto versions is some incentive, but the quartz... Ummm, not a chance, looks rather drab even next to a quartz Conquest.
With IWC, things are similar. The ETA/Sellita-powered Portofinos are maaaaybe roughly the same level as the Longines Master Collection.
And it goes on and on.
I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst.

jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » October 23rd 2021, 7:55pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
October 23rd 2021, 7:37pm
jason_recliner wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
Quite so. I'd say that goes up from roughly the Longines/TAG Heuer to the IWC tier. IMO, there's a massive disproportion between the TAG Formula 1 stuff and the Carrera, Monaco and others. I saw some Carreras and the Autavia chrono - impressive. I saw the Formula 1 - yeah, nice, but not even close.
Longines? Same disproportion... If you put a Presence next to a Master Collection piece, a Record, let alone a Spirit - there's really nothing in the Presence that could really prompt one to buy it, except the winged hourglass on the dial. OK, the L888 in the auto versions is some incentive, but the quartz... Ummm, not a chance, looks rather drab even next to a quartz Conquest.
With IWC, things are similar. The ETA/Sellita-powered Portofinos are maaaaybe roughly the same level as the Longines Master Collection.
And it goes on and on.
Yep. I was thinking Tag / Formula 1, Grand Seiko / base quartz with the 3-link bracelet, Rolex / OP, Omega / DeVille, Longines / thin quartz gold plated jobbies that uncles get for their 70th, IWC / Portofino, Panerai / base.

If it thinks, it stinks
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » October 26th 2021, 4:46am

jason_recliner wrote:
October 23rd 2021, 7:55pm
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
October 23rd 2021, 7:37pm
jason_recliner wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
And it goes on and on.
Yep. I was thinking Tag / Formula 1, Grand Seiko / base quartz with the 3-link bracelet, Rolex / OP, Omega / DeVille, Longines / thin quartz gold plated jobbies that uncles get for their 70th, IWC / Portofino, Panerai / base.
IDK, while this version of the DeVille is entry level for Omega, it compares very well to the Carrera, featured here: viewtopic.php?f=173&t=52928&p=512073&hi ... a#p512073

The watch is powered by the TAG cal. 5 movement based on the 2824-2, or SW200, with 25 or 26 jewels respectively, running at 28800 BPH, COSC version -4 to +6 seconds a day accuracy, and sports a PVD applied lacquer dial, with applied markers. $3200.

The DeVille also compares extremely well to the highly touted Japanese entry from Citizen featured here: viewtopic.php?p=512746#p512746.

With a specially engineered movement from Citizen subsidiary, JP, featuring 27 jewels, a free sprung balance, running at 28800 VPH, -3 to +5 seconds per day accuracy, housed in a nicely finished brushed and polished angular case, with a sharp sand / bead textured style, electrostatically plated dial. $6,000.

This Tudor, viewtopic.php?p=512724#p512724 also uses a supplied movement, a nicely modified 7753, (T901), 27 Jewels, + / - 4 seconds a day accuracy, 28800 BPH, KIF shock protection, and a Triovis balance. $4100.

The latest version of the OP watch I posted above features the 2500 coaxial chronometer movement which is based on the 2892-A2 with 27 jewels, and is modified with the coaxial escapement. COSC certified, with specs of -4 to +6 seconds a day accuracy, versions A and B run at 28800 VPH, which was changed to 25200 VPH in gen. C (I believe in 2013) and beyond which Omega determined was optimal for the 2500's configuration. The modified rate also reduced wear and thereby extended service intervals. This early entry in the coaxial line of movements is also readily serviceable by independent watchmakers as it maintains the essential architecture of its 2892 base.

The white enamel dial is a striking throwback to a more formal, classic epoch with its hand applied, black Roman, and black and white domed hour markers set on an inner chapter ring, with an outer chapter ring formed by a black minutes index. $3600 - $3800.

I like this watch. Given how it compares in cost and features within Omega's line, to the midline models in some brands, or even flagship models in others, I disagree with the premise that the price of this entry to Omega is primarily based on the brand name. There's certainly a whole lot less watch for a whole lot more money out there.
Last edited by 3Flushes on October 27th 2021, 2:52am, edited 2 times in total.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2021 3flushes Media.^^^
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » October 26th 2021, 5:13am

Fair enough. I wasn't comparing the DV to other brands but rather other Omegas. The case and bracelet look really cheap to me. I too like the 2500 - had a PO back in the day and loved it. And yeah, if you're comparing between brands, I also agree, is definitely take the Carrera or Citizen over the DV. A lot more watch in both cases.

If it thinks, it stinks
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » October 27th 2021, 3:12am

jason_recliner wrote:
October 26th 2021, 5:13am
Fair enough. I wasn't comparing the DV to other brands but rather other Omegas. The case and bracelet look really cheap to me. I too like the 2500 - had a PO back in the day and loved it. And yeah, if you're comparing between brands, I also agree, is definitely take the Carrera or Citizen over the DV. A lot more watch in both cases.
IDK, they seem pretty evenly matched hardware and value wise.

For the Carerra, the cal. 5 is certainly nothing to write home about, nor is the case and finishing. Pretty basic day / date. The citizen has the coolest case, although like you, I pretty much dislike lugless cases, and the citizen is certainly finished the best of the group. And while the JP movement was developed to introduce in this watch, and the free sprung balance is a nice touch, they have been around since the mid to late 1960's. Bulova developed a FSB to try to compete with the Swiss invasion shortly before they closed. The JP offers very little in the way of better accuracy over the other three, and its durability remains to be seen. I just don't think it lives up to all of the hoopla about it.

I reckon being an old man adds to the appeal of the nostalgic aspect of the Prestige, aesthetically, to each their own. But features, movements, and whatnot wise, they seem to be on a fairly equal footing to me.
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » October 27th 2021, 4:52am

I would say the Carrera dial, case and bracelet look noticeably better finished and more expensive than the DV. In addition to the expensive Citizen finishing and movement you're also paying for exclusivity.
I just don't get the feeling of quality and expense handling the DV that I get with the Carrera. Haven't handled the Citizen but it sure looks expensive.
Last edited by jason_recliner on October 27th 2021, 3:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

If it thinks, it stinks
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » October 28th 2021, 3:34am

jason_recliner wrote:
October 27th 2021, 4:52am
I would say the Carrera dial, case and bracelet look noticeably better finished and more expensive than the DV. In addition to the expensive Citizen finishing and movement you're also paying for exclusivity.
I just don't get the feeling of quality and expense handling the DV that I get with the Carrera. Haven't handled the Citizen but it sure looks expensive.
I'd likely change the bracelet out for a black croc-o-gator strap to dress it up and tone down the high polish case as I said in a different thread, but I like it otherwise. Have to agree the TAG is better finished in that it has brushed and polished surfaces, however, a meh for me.

Exclusivity wise, there are three versions of the Citizen; the featured watch at Hondinkee with the black, textured dial, limited to as many as they can possibly make ($6,000), a blue sun ray dial version, unlimited, and an LE white dialed version. The later two are exclusive to the JDM and the prices were not provided. I reckon, if you have to ask... The blue dial will likely pop up on the usual JDM sites, the LE may be limited to Citizen company stores. The blue dial sounds cool utilizing a coat and polish technique (usually several layers) that yields a highly glossy surface. Look fwd to the pics.

Of the watches in the above post, the one I'd really like to own is in the Tudor Fastrider line, but I like the Black Shield, the black ceramic case on a leather strap version with the black and red dial. Now that they are out of the current catalog, perhaps some will land on the grey sites.
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » October 28th 2021, 4:25am

codguy wrote:
October 27th 2021, 11:15am
The OP De Ville simply looks cheap and cheesy to me........ and it is not just solely about the spray painted dial either.
I don't like the OP DeVille, either...... and not only because of its 36mm case.
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » October 30th 2021, 6:30pm

jason_recliner wrote:
October 23rd 2021, 7:55pm
Well, these thin quartz jobbies from Longines were one of the absolute best-selling stuff at the shop where I worked. It's the La Grande Classique collection. Frankly, as quartz Longines stuff goes, they were on the good side of things - it's not the Conquest VHP, but it isn't bad. At least on bracelets. The straps on them were way too thin, and the lugs would give one a hard time fitting anything else than that paper-thin strap that felt like it could rip apart on any crease between the gator leather scales. The bracelet, on the other hand, was really well finished.
The quartz Longines that I can't stand is the Presence. In its defense, the overall finishing quality is the same as on the auto versions, which can't be said of, for example, the Tissot Gentleman. However, with that bland case and the stuttering motion of the seconds hand paired with it, it just oozes the smell of mothballs, stale dust, nose-raping cologne and the piss of at least a dozen cats. The quartz Lyre doesn't fall far behind, although the auto version has something about it.
codguy wrote:
October 27th 2021, 11:15am
The OP De Ville simply looks cheap and cheesy to me........ and it is not just solely about the spray painted dial either.
Held it in the metal next to the current Seamaster Diver 300M. On its own, the De Ville doesn't feel cheap and cheesy, although next to the SM Diver 300M, it does look as if someone parked a Yugo next to an Aston Martin.
AJC wrote:
October 29th 2021, 7:31am
Granted it's not in the same price range but I'd consider this one too
Staying within Longines, that's certainly a compelling alternative. Close by, I'd put the blue dial Master Collection, or the 1832.
jason_recliner wrote:
October 27th 2021, 4:52am
I would say the Carrera dial, case and bracelet look noticeably better finished and more expensive than the DV.
Haven't seen the most recent Carrera Calibre 5, but if the case and dial quality is anything like on the Calibre 16 and 1887 chronographs, I'm inclined to agree.

Return to “Omega”