The New 41mm Omega Constellation Line

Post Reply
User avatar
Bahoomba
Senior Member & WIS
Posts: 1474
Joined: January 28th 2011, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: New York City
Contact:

The New 41mm Omega Constellation Line

Post by Bahoomba » August 30th 2020, 6:11pm

From Mr. Minutiae:

Image

https://bobsotherstuff.com/omega-lights ... tellation/

By Eddie P.

At this writing, we are at the cusp of September 1, when a certain famed brand is ushering in some new models that luxury watch fans have waited for all year. However, other just-as-popular brands have already started to bring in some incredible new pieces – not the least of which is a stunning new revamp for the classic Omega Constellation. It is such a remarkable beefing up of a venerable product that we’d be surprised if these new 41mm “Connies” don’t push the Seamaster and Speedmaster for attention from ardent Omega admirers.

These new 41mm Constellation models (they hit stores in July) are, in a word, dazzling. They’ve kept the famous design details such as the half-moon facets and the “claws” on the sides of the dial, but now, added attractions include models in 18K gold or stainless steel (or both!), and an array of polished ceramic bezels that somehow, some way, make these new winners seem both like dress and sports watches at the same time.

That’s not all: When many collectors think of the Constellation, they remember the unique stainless steel bracelets – but many of these watches will be available with original, new leather straps with a unique anti-bacterial rubber lining. And, of course, the Omega quality we’ve all come to expect: Calibre 8900 or 8901 automatic movements, front and back sapphire, and, yes, they’re Master Chronometers.
Last edited by Bahoomba on August 30th 2020, 8:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rule 1,493: Never photograph a watch on a wrist. On a lovely rock in a pond or a parapet, certainly - but never on a wrist.
- Chapter Seven, The Bazinga! Way To Become A Blogger Billionaire
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke (Online)
Master of Time
Posts: 3554
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: The New 41mm Omega Constellation Line

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » August 31st 2020, 9:24am

Looks OK, at first glance. But it has two issues, the way I see it.

First: lume on hands, but not on the dial. The SG in general is guilty as fuck of doing that over and over, across all the brands they own. A shitload of non-SG brands does that as well. Wonder what drives them, because this is downright fucking lame.

Second: unless someone has ham-sized wrists, a 41mm tonneau case will look pretty fucking big. It’s a dressy Constellation, but with the size and proportions of the Wostok Amfibia. The massive bezel creates a faux-diver effect, made ridiculous by the Roman numerals and the claws. If this was 36-38mm, yeah, OK, that’d work. 41mm? Fuck, no.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
User avatar
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Posts: 17032
Joined: June 12th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: The New 41mm Omega Constellation Line

Post by TemerityB » August 31st 2020, 2:35pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
August 31st 2020, 9:24am
Looks OK, at first glance. But it has two issues, the way I see it.

First: lume on hands, but not on the dial. The SG in general is guilty as fuck of doing that over and over, across all the brands they own. A shitload of non-SG brands does that as well. Wonder what drives them, because this is downright fucking lame.

Second: unless someone has ham-sized wrists, a 41mm tonneau case will look pretty fucking big. It’s a dressy Constellation, but with the size and proportions of the Wostok Amfibia. The massive bezel creates a faux-diver effect, made ridiculous by the Roman numerals and the claws. If this was 36-38mm, yeah, OK, that’d work. 41mm? Fuck, no.
Omega is still making 39 and 36 mm Constellation models, but I believe the 41mm are the only ones with the new bezels and these design changes. They even still make at least one 36mm quartz model.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
Pilliam
Posts: 14
Joined: October 14th 2020, 2:18am
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: The New 41mm Omega Constellation Line

Post by Pilliam » October 17th 2020, 12:30am

I've always liked the Constellation; yet I know my affinity for the design is owed to the fact that I'm a child of the 70s and 80s. Along with Datejusts, I remember seeing these on a LOT of women in my mom's circle, and a few men in my dad's. I own a new Planet Ocean 43.5 and Aqua Terra 41 and love Omega. I've asked my AD about the Constellation, and he told me that it's a HUGE model in Asian markets; yet he hardly gets them in his shipments.

I'm not about to order one, though, sight unseen, only to not buy it once it arrives. If one ever does, I'll try it, but only with the SS bracelet. I'm not a strap guy; although even if I were, this model's design language - to me - is wed to the bracelet.
User avatar
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Posts: 17032
Joined: June 12th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: The New 41mm Omega Constellation Line

Post by TemerityB » October 17th 2020, 11:52am

Pilliam wrote:
October 17th 2020, 12:30am
I've always liked the Constellation; yet I know my affinity for the design is owed to the fact that I'm a child of the 70s and 80s. Along with Datejusts, I remember seeing these on a LOT of women in my mom's circle, and a few men in my dad's. I own a new Planet Ocean 43.5 and Aqua Terra 41 and love Omega. I've asked my AD about the Constellation, and he told me that it's a HUGE model in Asian markets; yet he hardly gets them in his shipments.

I'm not about to order one, though, sight unseen, only to not buy it once it arrives. If one ever does, I'll try it, but only with the SS bracelet. I'm not a strap guy; although even if I were, this model's design language - to me - is wed to the bracelet.
Is your Aqua Terra one of the newer models? One of the most attractive of the new Omega lines, indeed.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
Pilliam
Posts: 14
Joined: October 14th 2020, 2:18am
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: The New 41mm Omega Constellation Line

Post by Pilliam » October 17th 2020, 4:59pm

TemerityB -- Thank you for the compliment. Yes, it's the "Rory McILroy" one with white dial and orange accents. Bought it a few months ago and couldn't deal with the polished center links (WAY too shiny), so I sent it to Rolliworks in California and they brushed them to match the outer links. It now looks incredibly subdued, which I love. I've tried my damndest to post pics but can't figure it out (I guess because I'm new to the forum or just dumb AF - either one haha).
User avatar
koimaster
Founder
Posts: 41764
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon, Thanks for visiting! Now go back home!
Contact:

Re: The New 41mm Omega Constellation Line

Post by koimaster » October 19th 2020, 8:23am

bbattle wrote:
August 31st 2020, 3:39pm
Of those pictured in the article, I like this one with the "paper" dial

Image
^^^^^^^^^^^
Like the dial, bezel not so much.



Image

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gaudy and invicta/renato like to me.
Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Posts: 17032
Joined: June 12th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: New York City
Contact:

Re: The New 41mm Omega Constellation Line

Post by TemerityB » October 19th 2020, 4:01pm

koimaster wrote:
October 19th 2020, 8:23am
bbattle wrote:
August 31st 2020, 3:39pm
Of those pictured in the article, I like this one with the "paper" dial

Image
^^^^^^^^^^^
Like the dial, bezel not so much.



Image

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gaudy and invicta/renato like to me.
I agree with the second point. But that's the beauty of all this - Omega is still making more traditional Constellations while adding these 41mms to their line. In other words - they're not fucking up the entire line, as some people believe Rolex has with their 41mm Subs. They are also still making the Connie Globemasters too, which I consider to be beyond handsome with some of the finest guts Omega has ever offered.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke (Online)
Master of Time
Posts: 3554
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: The New 41mm Omega Constellation Line

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » October 20th 2020, 6:36pm

Pilliam wrote:
October 17th 2020, 12:30am
I'm not about to order one, though, sight unseen, only to not buy it once it arrives. If one ever does, I'll try it, but only with the SS bracelet. I'm not a strap guy; although even if I were, this model's design language - to me - is wed to the bracelet.
Dunno how is it at ADs anywhere else worldwide, but here, you wouldn’t be able to order it without buying it. ADs have to buy the watches from the manufacturer (read: the local branch of the Swatch Group). No AD will bother buying a watch so that the client can try it on. If it’s not in stock, and has to be ordered directly from the SG or whoever, it’s a „non-refundable deposit or fuck off” situation, especially if the people in charge of orders at the AD see no larger interest in a model/collection.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
Pilliam
Posts: 14
Joined: October 14th 2020, 2:18am
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: The New 41mm Omega Constellation Line

Post by Pilliam » October 21st 2020, 1:27am

MKTheVintageBloke -- great points; you're entirely right. In reality, that leaves this model out for me because there's no way in hell I'd pay for it only to see it and then, if I hated it in the flesh, tell the AD 'no thanks' and burn the bridge. He did have a ladies model in the Omega case recently and, when I handled it, I was impressed. That said, not impressed enough, though, to part with $6K...I'll keep my moolah for something else down the road.
User avatar
MKTheVintageBloke (Online)
Master of Time
Posts: 3554
Joined: December 7th 2016, 2:47pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: The New 41mm Omega Constellation Line

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » October 21st 2020, 1:07pm

Pilliam wrote:
October 21st 2020, 1:27am
MKTheVintageBloke -- great points; you're entirely right. In reality, that leaves this model out for me because there's no way in hell I'd pay for it only to see it and then, if I hated it in the flesh, tell the AD 'no thanks' and burn the bridge. He did have a ladies model in the Omega case recently and, when I handled it, I was impressed. That said, not impressed enough, though, to part with $6K...I'll keep my moolah for something else down the road.
Probably for the better. It's a pity that not all the collections/models from various brands aren't available to try on in the metal - alas, that's usually the case with stuff that sells on one market, and is completely beyond the scope of the clientele elsewhere.

Not sure how much of a non-refundable deposit would a US-based AD take. Here, that'd be 20-30% of the MSRP, closer to the 30% mark. The whole point of that is that there's no way someone will say "no thanks" after the AD has bought the watch from the manufacturer/import agent. Unless someone's keen on flushing 2 grand down the drain, in case of a 6-grand watch.
Frankly, I can get along with that way of doing things - in my experience, an "interested customer" is no customer at all, until they whip out the wallet, dish out the dough, and take the plunge.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Posts: 31886
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: The New 41mm Omega Constellation Line

Post by conjurer » October 21st 2020, 1:18pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
October 21st 2020, 1:07pm

Frankly, I can get along with that way of doing things - in my experience, an "interested customer" is no customer at all, until they whip out the wallet, dish out the dough, and take the plunge.
Quite so. It isn't closed until Mr. Green shows up.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
Post Reply

Return to “Omega”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest